Physio Update... (Read 601 times)

Now that was a bath...

Well the new physiotherapist was a man, as promised Tongue He gave me a check over. Got me to hop on the injured leg for a couple of minutes and looked at me move watching my alignments, then he had a good feel. Of my leg. He said that he can feel a hard bump at the injury site, what I thought was a dip is actually the bit below the bump, doh. The fascia is injured at that point which may or may not be due to an old fracture. He says he thinks I have shin splints. Badly in the injured leg, slight in the left leg. Cheryl I completely forgot to ask him about the Myofascial release but I will today as I am going back for more treatment. He used deep frictions to massage out the bump - ouch - I have bruising, then did some ultrasound and banged on some of those electrodes that make your muscles twitch. As a management tactic he said keep running. Run flat. Then he taught me a taping technique to use when I run. After each run I have to hose down my leg with cold water. I ran yesterday and the taping felt really comfortable but the outside hose was freakin cold as it's winter here! I got cramps in my muscles and it ached so bad that my husband got up because I was groaning so much. I go back to see him today and we are going to discuss whether or not I need further referral. Abby - he mentioned a Sport's Doc that is very good as a possibility, the other option is back to the podiatrist. I am dreading todays deep frictions as I am still bruised from the last ones! His final diagnosis. He believes it will stop, I will be able to run properly and I just have to be patient until we find the right combination of treatments. Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Along for the Ride

Awesome news Claire! You must be so happy ... even though it will take time, there is light at the end of the tunnel. And it's not a train! Big grin Deep frictions sounds like he is breaking up old adhesions and scar tissue. Which is good, but it does sound painful. Keep up the good work and remain positive! Smile

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

glad you have some good news claire Smile even if it comes with some intermediate pain. hope it all gets sorted out quickly now.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yay, that IS good news! Man, I wonder if this could be what's causing Eryn so many issues. I told her she should talk to you--what you guys are dealing with sounds SO similar. I hope you both are running pain free in the not-too-distant future! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

He said that he can feel a hard bump at the injury site, what I thought was a dip is actually the bit below the bump, doh. The fascia is injured at that point which may or may not be due to an old fracture. He says he thinks I have shin splints. Badly in the injured leg, slight in the left leg. Cheryl I completely forgot to ask him about the Myofascial release but I will today as I am going back for more treatment. Claire xxx
            Now that makes sense, the dent thing made me wonder. I used a neoprene calf splint initially, and I do think it helped - just to get over the healing period. Sounds like you are in the hands of someone who can get you back out there - shin splints really hurt - kudos to you for not giving up Smile shin splint wrap

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

Sounds like you've got a great Physio! If you do have to go another route, I'd definitly go with the Sports Doc! Hope he didn't rough you up too much today and am so glad to hear how well the appointment went!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson