Neuroma? Shots? Surgery? (Read 85 times)

Found out today that I have a neuroma between my 1st and 2nd metatarsal. (And a stress fracture as a nice bonus.) Just wondering if anyone has had a good outcome with cortisone shots or surgery?

PRs...

5k - 19:04

10k - 40:25

15k - 1:02:12

Half - 1:27:27

Full - 3:01:33
    Goals...

5k - sub-19

10k - sub-40

15k - sub 1:01

Half - sub-1:27

Full - sub-3:00

Hannibal Granite

I had the beginnings of a neuroma and what helped for me was just loosening the bottom two eyelets on my shoes.  Since you have a stress fracture that will take several weeks to heal anyway it might be wise to let that heal and see if the neuroma takes care of itself by just releaving the pressure on it. If you happen to wear high heels STOP IMMEDIATELY, that will continue putting pressure on your forefoot and it will never get better.  Also, I have a basic distrust of podiatrists and would definitely get a second opinion before letting them do surgery (assuming it doesn't get better with rest and reduced pressure)

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Joann Y

I had the beginnings of a neuroma and what helped for me was just loosening the bottom two eyelets on my shoes.  Since you have a stress fracture that will take several weeks to heal anyway it might be wise to let that heal and see if the neuroma takes care of itself by just releaving the pressure on it. If you happen to wear high heels STOP IMMEDIATELY, that will continue putting pressure on your forefoot and it will never get better.  Also, I have a basic distrust of podiatrists and would definitely get a second opinion before letting them do surgery (assuming it doesn't get better with rest and reduced pressure)

I am so glad that you said this. For the last year I've thought that I've had the beginnings of a neuroma with lots of burning pain in my toes in varying degrees off and on and I insisted that my shoes weren't too tight but after reading this I decided that, like everything else in my life, I don't know everything as I thought I did and it's POSSIBLE that I am being stubborn and lo and behold, I tried loosening as you say here and no burning pain this morning! Cripes!

kcam

I had a neuroma develop a few years ago, between my 2nd and 3rd metatarsel though.  It eventually went away but it took well over a year.  Not sure what made it go away but the things I think that helped were .... stopped using racing flats for anything but races (not even workouts); stopped using the bottom two eyelets on my shoes (not lacing them at all allows that part of the shoe to expand a little and let your toes splay out a little more); went to Hoka shoes for almost all of my training.  I think the rocker motion of the Hoka shoes takes a little pressure off of your toes in the toe-off phase.  I could be wrong about all this stuff and maybe it just went away on it's own but I'm convinced enough that I stilll train only in Hokas.  

Good luck and don't let this neuroma alter your stride.  I did and kept running and I think it caused a bout of plantar fascitis which took a bit of time to get over!  My feet were a mess for over two years.

muppy

I tried orthotics, ice, stretching, different shoes, time off, just trying to tough it out and after a few years of pain I had surgery. Best decision ever, only wish I would have done it sooner. Dr did say it was a large neuroma so ymmv. Good luck!

No more marathons

Developed same a few years back in the middle of marathon training.

Changed shoes, got a metatarsal pad from my foot Dr. which I put in every shoe (running and otherwise) and kept running.

The pads seemed to work as the pain lessened and within a few weeks was mostly gone.

YMMV.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Hannibal Granite

I am so glad that you said this. For the last year I've thought that I've had the beginnings of a neuroma with lots of burning pain in my toes in varying degrees off and on and I insisted that my shoes weren't too tight but after reading this I decided that, like everything else in my life, I don't know everything as I thought I did and it's POSSIBLE that I am being stubborn and lo and behold, I tried loosening as you say here and no burning pain this morning! Cripes!

I'm glad I could help.  Do you happen to have a magic treatment for Plantar faciitis, because that would be great.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Joann Y

I'm glad I could help.  Do you happen to have a magic treatment for Plantar faciitis, because that would be great.

I would appreciate if those two words weren't mentioned in my vicinity as that may be all that it takes for the P.F. to return. The only thing that seems to work is try everything, try nothing and one day you realize you've been running without pain and you don't know when it went away because you were so used to it being there.

My neuroma is much better when I use toe stretchers