2nd gen. Shuffle weirdness (Read 588 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Has anyone else had issues with some files/playlists not wanting to play properly on their "matchbook" shuffle? Mine has been a bit erratic ever since Apple updated to iTunes 8.0 (primary issue is the Shuffle not wanting to unmount from iTunes, as well as some issues getting the iPod to update when I want to load a different playlist). I've not had problems with loading and playing audiobooks...until just recently. I had already uploaded and applied the first 3 discs of an audiobook to my Shuffle with no issue. Then yesterday attempted to listen to the last 2 discs of said book. It loaded fine, but I when I push play the little light blinks back and forth yellow and green. I could push the button a few times and get it to play, but it would pick up at random in the middle of a track. Not the first track, nor the beginning of any track. So I instead loaded a music playlist which played fine. Went back last night to load the book....same thing. Tried repeatedly and each time the book won't play, but music will. Could it be that the audiobook files are buggy? I'm hoping this is a fluke...I really love audiobooks on long runs and I still have 2 20 milers to get through before race day.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, yeah...I have had some duplicating files issues, too. You know, all of these problems have resulted from the update of iTunes to work with that new Shuffle. If Apple thinks making iTunes incompatible with older iPods will make people upgrade they are sorely mistaken. I would buy a Sansa and load audiobooks via DH's PC before I will buy that stupid controls-in-the-POS-Apple-headphones Shuffle. I wonder if my 2nd gen. Nano would work better...? I love how tiny and simple my Shuffle is, but not being able to play audiobooks is crappy.

~ Sarah Kay

You can ditch iTunes and use Winamp or some other third party software. I hated iTunes... haven't had any problems since moving to Winamp.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You can ditch iTunes and use Winamp or some other third party software. I hated iTunes... haven't had any problems since moving to Winamp.
            Can I go back and forth if I want to use iTunes for music playlists (which seem to work OK, thus far...especially since I just play them at random, anyhow) and Winamp for audiobooks?

~ Sarah Kay

Can I go back and forth if I want to use iTunes for music playlists (which seem to work OK, thus far...especially since I just play them at random, anyhow) and Winamp for audiobooks?
              Probably. I could never get iTunes to work right... it always pegged my CPU at 100%... so it didn't last long before I uninstalled it. Winamp has a lot of features though all I ever do is dump a bunch of songs on my iPod and call it a day. There are probably others out there too.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahhh...just looked at Winamp. Looks like there's no Mac version. Poo. I'll see what alternatives I can find.

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Winamp is Windows only, zoomie. You could try Songbird (which is also the name of an album by the late Eva Cassidy, who did an achingly beautiful version of Sting's "Fields of Gold". But I digress.) Disclaimer, I've never used Songbird. Just something that I've heard of.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.