smoke free (Read 1680 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

smoked heavily for 32 years.  now nine years smoke free.

my how time flies Shocked

steph  

Slo

Nice Job tea Olive.

I'm coming up on 4 years. Quitting took more will power than anything I had ever done before.

That's fantastic. I've got some people in my family who won't quit.  If you have any advice for me, I'd appreciate it.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Slo

If you have any advice for me, I'd appreciate it.

Don't Start

tomatolover

running is/was the ONLY thing that's kept me smoke free (I quit 7 years ago after about 15 years of smoking).  It somehow killing the craving...endorphin replacement?  For this, any many, many other reasons, I'm so grateful I can run.

running is/was the ONLY thing that's kept me smoke free (I quit 7 years ago after about 15 years of smoking).  It somehow killing the craving...endorphin replacement?  For this, any many, many other reasons, I'm so grateful I can run.

This is me!  Smoked for 15 quit 7 years ago when I started running.   Every year I calculate the money I would have spent on cigarettes and use it as my running/race/travel allowance.  It adds up!

Congrats Tea Olive! 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have no comprehension of how difficult it is to quit, but it makes me happy each time I hear a success story.  Congrats!

tomatolover

This is me!  Smoked for 15 quit 7 years ago when I started running.   Every year I calculate the money I would have spent on cigarettes and use it as my running/race/travel allowance.  It adds up!

What a great idea!!  I was a was a budget-conscious, sorta green, yet serious smoker, who rationalized roll yer owns as a cost savings device (and had the nicotine stained fingers to prove it- lovely!) and filter-free as a way of saving the planet Joking....

I never did the figures, but since quitting i've allowed myself to buy running stuff w/o the guilt I'd have by buying other, more fashionable (non-wicking) items.  

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

That's fantastic. I've got some people in my family who won't quit.  If you have any advice for me, I'd appreciate it.

it is the hardest thing that i have ever done.  and as the old saying goes you do have to want to quit.

i tried pretty much every thing.  nothing helped for long.  gum / patch what ever.  

i was finally able to do it with  zyban / wellbutrin.  same drug.  as best i understand it zyban is

packaged for smoking cessation and wellbutrin is packaged for mood swings depression type issues.

i quit smoking after first week then continued on the wellbutrin for five months.  i haven't smoked since that first week.

as far as i could tell i had no side effects from the meds.  other than to make the smoking undesirable Wink

i highly recommend it.

steph  

Thanks, Steph.  I will mention this to them. 

Incidentally, I suppose that the electronic cigarette goes into the "whatever" file as well. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Incidentally, I suppose that the electronic cigarette goes into the "whatever" file as well. 

i don't think that the e cigarette was available at that time.   i did try hypnotism.   that was a jokeSmile

mta:  

nader,  that is  the hypnotism session it self was a joke.

steph  

nader i have the same problem with my dad. he has smoked basically his whole life and simply has no regard for his own health or well being. i have pretty much come to terms with this. what pisses me off is he still smokes around everyone else in the family. thats where the electric smokes come in, they only emit water vapor.

the real challenge is getting him to try it. it seems like a no brainer to me, i know if i was still smoking i would probably go that route. they are cheaper to buy, you can get them with different amounts of nicotine, different flavors, and theres no smoke stink or health effects from smoke inhalation. plus if theres anything cooler than cigarettes its a cigarette you can plug into your computer.

Half Fanatic #846

Smoked for 35 years, then started running and have been tobacco-free for 6 years now.  My DW, myself, and a friend at work all used the Rx Chantix to quit at the same time - it worked really well for us. I think a large part of our success was that all three of us really wanted to quit.    

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Mr Play

Congratulations.  Like Nader and Roy, I'm looking for ideas on how to get my mom to quit.  She had tonsil cancer a few years ago (really rare) and quit smoking for a little while.  She's cancer free now, but the radiation wiped her out - it hurts to eat anything so she's still on a feeding tube after 3-4 years.  Hard to believe, but she went back to smoking.  I tried the forced approach a couple of years ago, dragged her to a quit smoking seminar and all that.  That went absolutely nowhere, so I learned to accept / love her for who she is.  I'm just glad I never started.

Fruchtenstein

Smoked for 23 years. I wanted to quit for years, but couldn't spend a single day without a cigarette. Until two years ago, when my wife talked me into quitting. Why nobody told me before it would be so easy and so much fun?!