Knee pain mostly lateral (Read 66 times)

TheDudeAhmed

Not sure if this is the correct place for this thread

I’ve starting running and joggig since 6 days on a treadmill, I ran 3 days, took 1 off, then another 3 days, the thing is that some lateral knee pain especially and mostly in my left leg

I have flat feet but not like super flat (the left foot is flatter than the right)

My exercise routine is mentioned below, I run mostly in the morning, but in the evening I do some calisthenics in which I perform a variety of squatting exercises (squat till you die)

I’m on keto diet so I’m enjoying (thank god) alot of persistent energy SO I spend 65 minutes on the treadmill in a single exercise session, I warm up for 5 minutes on 6.0kph, then run at 11.0 kph for 5-3 minutes then rest 3 minutes and continue this way untill I reach 30 minutes of total treadmill time, then I switch to incline at 4.5 jog at 9.0kph for 1 minutes, rest 2 sometimes 3 min and then repeat at incline 6.5, then 8.0 then 10 then I go down gradually in the same manner from incline 10 to 8 to 6 to 4 to zero incline, then at the last minutes I sprint at max speed for 1 min, then cool down the last 5 minutes

is this over-exercising?? I’m only satisfied this way tho :-)

With my athletes when they are experiencing lateral knee pain in it almost always (if not always!) IT band related.  Hip weakness is the most likely cause of you body not tracking properly which places a lot of repeated pressure on the IT band which has to work harder now to stabilize because the hip stability muscles are not doing the work.

How we deal with this:

It is critical to work on those hip stability muscles.  One simple thing that we do which is unbelievably effective are working with mini-bands.  Side steps with a slight bend at the knees, band around the ankles, keeping the pressure constant and toes pointed forward!  30 meters one way, 30 meters back.  We do it every day during our warm ups.  There are other exercises that can be done but this is our go to.  You can attach the band to something and move your leg inward to work the adductors as well.

https://www.performbetter.com/First-Place-Mini-Band

Start with the yellow or green and progress to the black.

Don't roll the IT band as it is not a connective tissue that stretches.  In my opinion it actual places more pressure on the aggravated connection point when you do this.

TheDudeAhmed

Thanks alot

I should also mention that the pain may extend to posterior left leg (calf muscles)

That might be related but I'm not sure.

morphex

I've found stretching and strength exercises to help with injuries / pain.

I was also recommended Bulgarian squats some time ago; it might be that these helped with pain from the hips down when I recently started doing them again, or it might just be that I'm getting accustomed to running again.

Good idea to have some exercises one can do at any location.

On Instagram at https://instagram.com/morphexx

On Twitter at https://twitter.com/blogologue

Blogging at http://blogologue.com

SMART Approach

As mentioned above hip mobility and strength is key. Also, focus on  just flat running and walking for a while. Those inclines may be taxing you more than you need or can recover from.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Jtpnoy

I also have a semi flat feet and have struggled with knee pains. Couple of thing that helped a lot for me are; wearing the right shoes, check out your local running store, and second thing is foam rolling my legs.

OlgaBelivskaia

link spam