Hydrating, Refueling and carrying stuff on Long Runs (Read 1424 times)

Hi All, I've finally moved to doing my long runs outside. Last week I ran 11 mi with two 12-oz Powerade bottles (one in each hand). Every two miles, I'd slow down, take a swig from each and keep going. By mile 10, I had finished all the Powerade. 1. Is this the right level of hydration/refueling in terms of amount and frequency? 2. Is there a better way to hold my stuff (I had my cell phone in my pocket, in case someone had an emergency and needed me and it was a little annoying, slapping against my leg as it was)?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

mikeymike

Sounds like a bit much to me. I do all my long runs outside year round and I never carry anything. But to each his own.

Runners run

Is it possible to drop your water/Powerade somewhere along your route? That's what I do. I drop them so I have something available at about every third mile. It works for me.
          gObLuE recently posted some hydration study but all I can find from him lately was a Coldplay review, something about 70s sitcoms, and more Pink Floyd silliness. From memory I thought it said something like 4-6 oz 16 oz per hour was adequate during exercise. MTA - gObLuE found the link

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Here's a weasel answer ... it depends! Depends on what? Sweat rate, temperature, dew point (humidity), wind, sun, rain, pace, etc. Best way to determine it is to weigh yourself before and immediately after a run and see how much weight you lost. That gives you an indication of whether you drinking too much, too little, or just the right amount. I think the rule of thumb is around 3% weight loss is bad (someone will correct me on this one - I assume). As for fluids, I use the 6 flask fuel belt and take one of those about every 3 miles or so when it's cool and about every 2 miles once it starts to warm up. Again, that's what works for me, ymmv.

Double IPA Please!

I have found for me personally if I am well hydrated prior I don't drink as much on my long runs ( I bring my waist pack camelback- especially when Its very hot/humid out) but If Im not well hydrated prior I usually will go through my pack which holds about 28oz (I think?) by runs end. I also have a small Nathan brand fannypack that I might use once in awhile usually only to hold my Nano- I dont prefer to take my phone with me- Im out on a run that is my time dont call me or bother me lol- I always tell my family where I am running so if it is that dire they can come and find me. So that being said all I bring is my Ipod which always fits in the pocket of my running shorts and that is it. If I bring a drink I use my Camel pack.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Scout7

Best way to determine it is to weigh yourself before and immediately after a run and see how much weight you lost. That gives you an indication of whether you drinking too much, too little, or just the right amount. I think the rule of thumb is around 3% weight loss is bad (someone will correct me on this one - I assume).
                Here More Even More Part 4 Finally Drink to thirst. Weighing yourself doesn't prove much, other than you lost weight.

Marathonmanleto

Fuel Belt if I'm out on LR and MUST carry. Usually don't carry anything. Have my water "holes" that I hit on city runs. Country runs are another story--and that is where the Fuel Belt does well. Still dislike carrying anything though.
                  C-R

Drink to thirst.
                    I usually only take liquids in tow for runs of more than 15 or if it is really hot and humid. I use a Nathan belt with two small bottles and usually have most of one left at the end of the run. I drink if I get thirsty. Have your running routes with some available water fountains. I used to ask the gas stations along some of my routes if it was ok to use their spiggot and no one refused. Perhaps it was more due to the fact that some very smelly runner was in the store and they would have agreed to most anything to get me to leave. Be creative. There are lots of ways to run long without having to carry stuff.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

A Saucy Wench

I run where there are no available water sources so on long runs I carry. Seems easier than driving and planting bottles and then driving again and retrieving bottles. Not to mention the waste of gas. Plus I often dont pre-plan my route...I have GPS, I just run and explore the area. I use a camelbak and as long as I get the air out it doesnt bother me at all. I have often raced with it. But in most situations I would say that 24 oz seems like a lot for 11 miles, but hey everyone is different. I used to need more than I need now. This weekend after months of running mostly below 50 it is supposed to be 90-100. I expect I will use my entire camelbak of water on my 18 miler.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I don't bring water with me unless it's for one of my long runs. I bought myself a http://www.amphipod.com/products_a/products.html I think I endedup drinking around 60oz or so on my last long run of 3.5 hours in 81 degree heat. I also had 2 gels during that run. Here is an artical a friend of mine brough to my attention http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/summer.shtml

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Weighing yourself (dry) before and after (assuming no potty breaks) can tell you how much you lost in sweat. More than 3% of your bodyweight is not good, ... even 2% will affect performance. As you know 1 pint = 1 pound. For myself, I routinely lose about 2 lbs (1 quart) per hour, so for a really long run, that's what I'd have to replace eventually. For only 2-3 hours, you can get by without replacing it all during the run, but muscles might get pretty dry (sore) if you don't rehydrate and replace electrolytes.
                          mikeymike

Here More Even More Part 4 Finally Drink to thirst. Weighing yourself doesn't prove much, other than you lost weight.

Runners run

I'm not going to quote any "scientific" studies, only real world experience. I require around a liter of fluid an hour on long runs and half of that fluid needs to be sports drink. If I try to get by on less my performance suffers and I end up with muscle cramps. Your best bet is to weigh yourself as others have suggested to get a ballpark figure of how much fluid you are losing and adjust your intake from there based on experience. I never carry anything on my runs. Water and sports drink gets stashed in sealed bottles along my route the night before and the cell phone stays home. Running should be simple. Tom
                              mikeymike

I see what you did there with the quotes Tom. Nice work. And I'll see your, "cell phone stays home" and raise you one, "just run baby." Stashing bottles the night before a run doesn't sound like the simpler solution to me. I guess if I thought I would need more than what I could get at public water fountains I would carry a bottle or something. That seems easier than going around the night before and planting stuff, which also requires picking your route the night before. Running is simple. I just go out the door.

Runners run