Running lights (Read 93 times)

With the days getting shorter and my training runs about to get longer, I am finding myself running in the dark again. I attempted running with a clip on visor light last year but I was not impressed with it. I have seen lights that clip on shoes and am curious if anyone has experience with them. I sweat very heavily when I run so I don't really want a headlamp that will channel the sweat to run down the middle of my face. Most of my runs are on sidewalks with sufficient lighting but occasionally they can be covered by trees and bushes blocking all the street lights. Thanks.

TJoseph

I just use a small handheld flash light. It doesn't weigh much and I can turn it on and off using the tactical button on the end. I haven't tried a headlamp yet, so I can't really comment on sweat issue. You could always wear a cap with a bill and the lamp on top of that.

running metalhead

I have seen lights that clip on shoes and am curious if anyone has experience with them. I sweat very heavily when I run so I don't really want a headlamp that will channel the sweat to run down the middle of my face.

A tip for sweat: Use a sweat band, a Buff or a bandana. I use these to keep sweat at bay and to make the head lamp more comfy, I use a small 100 lumen head lamp from Decathlon (cheapish, 15 Euro-quid)

In the winter I use a hat of course, this resolves the issue completely.

As for which lamp you should use; I was actually going to ask the same question as I need one that is more heavy duty than the one I use now. I need it for ultra-trails, for some it's even obligatory equipment and I don't think they will accept my current one as valid.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
        - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
        - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
        - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
        - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
        - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Christirei

I run with a Nathan LED arm band, it recharges so I just plug it in at night once a week and it's good for a week. It had three colors with three different settings, one on solid and to patterns that blink. I really like it, my arms are small so sometimes it slips down my arm, but mostly it works great. It does not illuminate my path very well, but cars coming and going can see me very clearly.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I run in a fairly well lit subdivision and use Knuckelights. .Plus LED bands around my arm, reflective bands on ankles with a clip on red light. DH has been driving on the roads when I I am out & I am very visible.

For occasional lighting needs, a handheld LED tactical flashlight works great. I have a generic 150 lumen LED flashlight that I got several years ago. It takes 2 AA batteries and has around a 2-3 hour runtime depending on the batteries that I use. The graphic below is a pretty good indication of what you can get for 150 lumens x 2AA for various battery chemistries. Stick with lights that take 2 or more AA batteries and have lower light output levels, usually costing around $10-$20. High output is unnecessary and burns through batteries quickly.

It takes about 3 AAA batteries to equal 1 AA battery, so those flashlights and headlamps that take 3AAA may not provide enough light output for an entire night of running. My experience with my still like new but otherwise ancient 15 year old Petzl Tikka (3 AAA unregulated) was that I could use Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries on medium for a few hours then switch over to high, and just barely make it through an 8 hour night run. Even though LEDs are more efficient now, it still means that a 3AAA light is hard pressed to provide enough light output and runtime for an overnight run.

The best choices for headlamps are ones with multiple output levels, regulation, and the ability to accept Energizer Ultimate (i.e. ENRG L91 in the chart) or a 18650 rechargeable lithium battery. A lot of ultrarunners swear by the Petzl Myo 2. It has a diffuser lens that can switch from spot to wide beam along with several lighting modes and takes 3 AA batteries. It's also expensive, at 90-100 USD. The Fenix HL-60R is also interesting and perhaps optimal with 10 hours runtime at 150 lumens. It comes with a single 18650 lithium rechargeable battery and can recharge via USB. But again, pricey at $75. These were the two models that came up frequently as favorites during a recent discussion on the Ultralist.

There are a LOT of generic headlamps on the market, advertising 1000+ lumens. These combine a Cree T6 LED with a battery pack and a headband in the cheapest Chinese junk sort of way. Nearly all Amazon reviews for them are bogus paid 5* and should not be trusted. Light levels over 200 lumens are generally too much, most of us do fine on trails with 100-150.

Thanks for the recommendations and information. I will have to look at what is available and what will work best for me on my runs. It looks like a small handheld light that I can slip in my pocket when not needed may work the best. There are only a few places where the lighting is not sufficient and having a light would eliminate places where I may run on a road with no sidewalk.