2018 Chicago Marathon (Read 270 times)

Arvind Balaraman

Hi

This is my first time running the Chicago marathon. I am looking for suggestions on hotels to stay during the race weekend. Any help is appreciated.

I will be flying in from Raleigh, NC and am not planing to rent a car. Planing to use the public transport to go from and to the race venue.

Rgds

Arvind

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I used the Club Quarters in the Loop - I thought it was perfectly located.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

HermosaBoy

Congress Plaza is very convenient.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

I used AirBnB and found an inexpensive place in a quiet neighborhood just south of Chicago's Chinatown, near the White Sox stadium.  It was several miles from the start, but close to the subway, so that really wasn't an issue.  We just bought 3-day passes for Chicago mass transit and rode buses or subway to get around.  I'd do that option again.

Chicago's a great race!  Good luck and enjoy the experience!

Arvind Balaraman

Thank you Dw, HemmosaBoy and RunnerJones

Eisenmench

<3's heckin long zoomies

Chicago-area resident here!

If you're okay with Air BnB, I would suggest that. I've used it for all my out-of-town races and love it (just read the reviews to check for pets/children that might disturb your sleep).

Otherwise, I suggest looking at hotels in your budget, then using Google Maps to see if public transportation will take you to race start in a timely manner. There are usually cheap hotels near colleges. For example, staying at the Motel 6 near Loyola would probably take less time to get to race start than staying at a hotel near UIC.

Started running - 2014

1st marathon - 2017

Still trying to figure out a good training plan that works for me.

Joann Y

For example, staying at the Motel 6 near Loyola would probably take less time to get to race start than staying at a hotel near UIC.

It would?

Eisenmench

<3's heckin long zoomies

It would?

From my (anecdotal) experience, trains usually run on time during race weekend while the bus routes tend to be a bit messed up during this time. From Loyola, it would be a short (5-10 minute) walk then a single train to the race start. Depending on the exact location of the UIC-adjacent hotel, it might be a walk>bus>train route. If OP decides to use a route that has a bus, they may want to leave 1-2 busses early to account for full or late busses.

Ultimately, I'd still recommend verifying approximate travel time and routes with Google maps.

Started running - 2014

1st marathon - 2017

Joann Y

From my (anecdotal) experience, trains usually run on time during race weekend while the bus routes tend to be a bit messed up during this time. From Loyola, it would be a short (5-10 minute) walk then a single train to the race start. Depending on the exact location of the UIC-adjacent hotel, it might be a walk>bus>train route. If OP decides to use a route that has a bus, they may want to leave 1-2 busses early to account for full or late busses.

Ultimately, I'd still recommend verifying approximate travel time and routes with Google maps.

UIC or U of C?   UIC is probably one of the most convenient places to be if there actually hotels around there. The blue line is right there. Or taxi/uber would be super easy.

Eisenmench

<3's heckin long zoomies

UIC or U of C?   UIC is probably one of the most convenient places to be if there actually hotels around there. The blue line is right there. Or taxi/uber would be super easy.

Oh my gosh. I was thinking of U of C. Thank you for calling me out on that.

UIC might be a farther walk from the hotel to the train than Loyola, but you can totally walk without any issue.

Started running - 2014

1st marathon - 2017

Joann Y

Oh my gosh. I was thinking of U of C. Thank you for calling me out on that.

UIC might be a farther walk from the hotel to the train than Loyola, but you can totally walk without any issue.

Okay, good! I was worried that I was totally losing it. Yeah, I agree with the bus/train thing. Don't rely on the buses to get you to where you want to go on race morning. Trains yes.

Running Problem

Problem Child

It will be my first time as well. Advice on how to win it is apprecaited. Also advice on when to book a hotel since I've never been to Chicago, will be traveling with a 10 month old, and I'll be staying a week.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flyrunnr

How to win: (1) Get to the start healthy, (2) Get to the finish, (3) Enjoy a cold beer with the family, (4) Smile, you're a winner!

Hotels are expensive, expect close to $275-435/night downtown during the marathon weekend. I don't think it matters much with a little child, but for your own luxury and comfort, I feel being close to the start/finish is nice and that may be helpful if Mom needs to head back to the hotel quickly. Anything near Michigan Ave isn't a bad walk. I know people that stay close to the airport, and then shuttle to expo and start/finish, at a much cheaper rate.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

Joann Y

If you are in town for a while, airbnb would be a good choice and you can Uber to the start. Very simple. I have a couple of nonrunning friends with airbnbs if you are interested in direct contacts. One of those is a cute little apartment in my neighborhood. It is a nice area to stay in, restaurants and shopping and not in the craziness of downtown.

Meant to add that last time I asked, her place was 90 dollars a night. Good for 1 or 2 people.

ivegotthis

Congress Plaza is very convenient.

Running the Chicago Marathon and am staying at the Congress. Its my first time so am happy to see this post. Smile