2018 Chicago Marathon (Read 270 times)

KCRuns

The Hilton Chicago on Michigan Avenue is right across the street from the start line.  Any of the hotels around Grant Park are an easy walk to the start area (5-10 minute walk depending on where you stay).  Pay the extra money to stay close to the start and avoid the stress race morning of dealing with traffic or trains.  They close the streets down pretty early, so if you do stay in one of the neighborhoods away from downtown, the train is your best bet to get there on time.

Docket_Rocket

I always book the Congress.  Extra sleep and most importantly, crossing the finish line and heading to the hotel on a very short walk is the best.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Running Problem

Problem Child

joana Send me a message with the details. I'll show the wife and see what she things.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Joann Y

joana Send me a message with the details. I'll show the wife and see what she things.

gah. she said it's already booked. that's nuts.

Running Problem

Problem Child

gah. she said it's already booked. that's nuts.

Does she have anything else or know of anywhere else?

Is Chinatown an okay area? I found a place in the area that says it's near mile 21. This would be convenient for family to see and doesn't appear to be too far from the finish line. The plan is to stay a week and use it as a family vacation so while cost isn't a HUGE deal spending $150 a night vs $300 is. Plus being close to anything other than the marathon would be nice.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Joann Y

I have another friend with a place farther west. It depends on how much of a city person that you are I think, if you would feel comfortable there. He's a super close friend and a super nice person.

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

Is Chinatown an okay area? I found a place in the area that says it's near mile 21. This would be convenient for family to see and doesn't appear to be too far from the finish line. The plan is to stay a week and use it as a family vacation so while cost isn't a HUGE deal spending $150 a night vs $300 is. Plus being close to anything other than the marathon would be nice.

I stayed right in that area (just south of Chinatown, a few blocks west of the White Sox stadium) for Chicago 2017 in an inexpensive AirBNB.  It was fine.  The area was very quiet, with mostly a residential vibe.  We never felt unsafe, and it was about a third of a mile to the nearest subway stop.  We'd stay there again.  The only downside was the distance from the city center and most of the tourist-type amenities, but we definitely appreciated the cost savings.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I stayed right in that area (just south of Chinatown, a few blocks west of the White Sox stadium) for Chicago 2017 in an inexpensive AirBNB.  It was fine.  The area was very quiet, with mostly a residential vibe.  We never felt unsafe, and it was about a third of a mile to the nearest subway stop.  We'd stay there again.  The only downside was the distance from the city center and most of the tourist-type amenities, but we definitely appreciated the cost savings.

Sounds good. It's easier on the budget to take Metra into town, at least for me, and traveling with an 8 month old will be a thing at that point so I'm sure we'll be OKAY at it. Good to know it has a residential vibe to it. The amount of traveling will probably change over time depending on who is staying with us. If it ends up being just my wife and I we might actually travel more. Plus how I feel.

Joann I appreciate that. I'm currently looking for something that could hold 5 adults. If things change I'll see if the space is still available. It is a little different finding a place for a week with an infant.

Now I need to get SERIOUS about getting faster. It's not cheap doing this stuff.

VDOT 53.37 

Joann Y

I would totally stay in Chinatown and I would probably feel a lot more comfortable there than where my friend is! Ha! And that would be a ton more convenient for the race. There are some good restaurants in Chinatown and also nearby Pilsen. Both are very fun to walk around. Moody Tongue has a cool tasting room and Pleasant House Pub has a really cool vibe. Honky Tonk BBQ is fun for music if you like bbq. I can make additional restaurant suggestions etc if you need any. Explore the neighborhoods. Lots to see. Main thing with an 8 month in Chicago is that you can go to any restaurant that you want, even the popular ones, if you go closer to when they open rather than 7 or 8pm.

Mr MattM

I always stay on the executive floor at the Palmer House Hilton.  It's crazy expensive, but I dig the private elevator, hors d'oeuvre and cocktails, and dedicated concierge.

be curious; not judgmental

Running Problem

Problem Child

Well AirBNB said the reservation was canceled because the owner never replied.

VRBO said "we don't have that room anymore. We only have one for an extra $125/night" because it's actually a rental agency and not a Vacation Rental BY OWNER. Oh and the $150 cleaning fee and 17% tax that VRBO said wasn't included. Stragely enough, VRBO says $250/night and it's available. Something seems fishy.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

How is Old Town Triangle for a place to stay? Looks like the course runs through there so family could spectate for a bit. I just don't know about getting to the start using public transportation.

VDOT 53.37 

Joann Y

I think that would be a nice place to stay. Looks like a 20 min ride on the brown line from what I can tell. I use the CTA site if I need to plan a trip. http://www.transitchicago.com/schedules/   You can plug in the appropriate addresses and then click on "get directions with google maps" and it will show you exactly what you need to do.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I think that would be a nice place to stay. Looks like a 20 min ride on the brown line from what I can tell. I use the CTA site if I need to plan a trip. http://www.transitchicago.com/schedules/   You can plug in the appropriate addresses and then click on "get directions with google maps" and it will show you exactly what you need to do.

That's pretty sweet. The place I saw had one bedroom accessed through another. I'm not sure people would like that for a 4 or 5 night trip. I might have to increase my price tag to $400 a night to get something.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Decided to stay at a hotel downtown. The whole AirBnB/VRBO thing became more of a basil’s with 3 couples. The things people consider bedrooms are amazing and the number of rentals ‘unavailable ‘ but still listed is irritating.

VDOT 53.37