2018 Chicago Marathon (Read 270 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Last year I remember passing a building around mile 22-23 that said 79 degrees. I don't think it was really quite that high or maybe I just couldn't believe that I was feeling so great at that point but the race last year went very well for me with a negative split second half. I don't know for sure but I think all of the 90-95+ degree workouts probably had something to do with not crashing. Train in the heat. You may need it! Unless smoke, then not.

I get as much as I can work in. If it wasn't so smokey I'd be getting more but the air quality is literally "unhealthy" this week and almost all of last week. AS for heat training, I'm really hoping it pays off big. It's just difficult to think of doing 4x2T plus a 5 mile warm up at 95-100F. Mostly because I wouldn't go out and run 14 miles in that weather. If it's 100F at Chicago this year I'll finish the race and scrap the goal.

https://weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/89521:4:US

https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.local_state&stateid=29&mapcenter=0&tabs=0

Tomorrow I'll get 6-7 in during the morning. If the air is clear I'll get more in at lunch, otherwise I'll just be on the treadmill after work to get close to enough miles this week. The original plan for  this week was 70 miles but I missed Sunday's run. Hopefully the air is clear for camping this weekend to get the workout in.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I get as much as I can work in. If it wasn't so smokey I'd be getting more but the air quality is literally "unhealthy" this week and almost all of last week. AS for heat training, I'm really hoping it pays off big. It's just difficult to think of doing 4x2T plus a 5 mile warm up at 95-100F. Mostly because I wouldn't go out and run 14 miles in that weather. If it's 100F at Chicago this year I'll finish the race and scrap the goal.

You can certainly do what you want in training, this is a friendly forum, but not running 14 miles in 95 degree dry heat is a mistake. Heat training is considered poor man's altitude and it'll make you stronger, as long as you are properly hydrated before you run and properly hydrate during. 14 miles is not far enough to be seriously concerned if you're running in dry desert heat. I'm about to go do a JD workout of 6 mile warmup plus 7 @ T, 2 mile cooldown. It's going to be 85 with a dew point of 73. I just make sure to stop every 2 miles during the warmup for water, slown down my T pace by 20 seconds, and get water in between each cruise interval during my 2 minute breaks. Is it enjoyable? Hell no. Will I be very dehydrated afterwards, even though I hydrated during? Hell yes. But when the fall comes around, this training in the heat is going to be an absolute savior.

Once again, this was completely friendly advice and just say nah it's not for me if you want. Obviously the smoke is a different issue: that you can't train through.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

You can certainly do what you want in training, this is a friendly forum, but not running 14 miles in 95 degree dry heat is a mistake. Heat training is considered poor man's altitude and it'll make you stronger, as long as you are properly hydrated before you run and properly hydrate during. 14 miles is not far enough to be seriously concerned if you're running in dry desert heat. I'm about to go do a JD workout of 6 mile warmup plus 7 @ T, 2 mile cooldown. It's going to be 85 with a dew point of 73. I just make sure to stop every 2 miles during the warmup for water, slown down my T pace by 20 seconds, and get water in between each cruise interval during my 2 minute breaks. Is it enjoyable? Hell no. Will I be very dehydrated afterwards, even though I hydrated during? Hell yes. But when the fall comes around, this training in the heat is going to be an absolute savior.

Once again, this was completely friendly advice and just say nah it's not for me if you want. Obviously the smoke is a different issue: that you can't train through.

I also live at 4,500 feet so elevation training isn't too difficult to get.

As for a friendly forum, yeah that's why I'm here. I'm looking for advice like this. I still can't find a reliable way that sticks in my head to calculate a 2% slowdown, but I know what T heart rate is and I've trained using it for a previous workout where I was slowing down too much. Knowing to slow down 20-30 seconds helps as well. I could probably do a 7:10-20 pace for 4x2 mile but I wouldn't think of even attempting it on a normal day. Knowing how to calculate that seems like something professional runners, or coaches/coached runners know how to do. Hearing "slow down 20 seconds" helps a lot to me. I've seen a few of your runs on strava and you're much faster than me however 20 seconds is 20 seconds.

Learning about how to compare weather across the country also helps. Knowing you're at a 155 and I'm at a 120-130 makes a difference.

My math

7:00= 420 seconds

2% of 420 is 8.4. So I can slow down 8 seconds and aim for 6:55-7:05ish pace for the workout. Correct? My 10K was 42:11 (6:47) if it helps.

20 seconds / 5% = 400 seconds.

6:45 = 405 seconds. So taking away the slow down I'd guess your T pace is around 6:25. Correct?

I'm just trying to make sure I understand the information you provided, not guess how fast you are.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Today, my T workout was a great example why all of this is all well and good, but some days you just bomb your workout. My T pace is around 6:10. TDP was 155, and from some previous workouts, I know that equates my T pace to around 6:30 (so 20 seconds slower). I was okay with that for the first few T miles, but bombed on the later ones and bailed on my last T. Why? I’m deep into marathon training at this point and sometimes you just completely fail at workouts. I’ve had days where TDP is 150 and I can still hold around 6:10-6:15.

Based on VDOT, you T is right at 7:00. So your math is about right. I would try some T workouts at 7:10 and see how it goes. Some days you’ll find it works right, other days it doesn’t, just like how even on a perfect 50 degree cloudy day, your T pace can vary depending on how you feel that day (or what your workouts were over the last week)

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I absolutely died, or at least it felt that way, on the treadmill yesterday. The house was 75. The fans were off. I was soaking wet after my 5 mile warm up and nothing I did to try and keep the pace worked. Started at 6.7 with 8% incline and my heart rate sky rocketed. Changed that to about 8.5 and 2% and it didn't change much. 2 minute rest and start back up running by feel. Even 7.1 mph at 2% incline was pushing 175 and during marathon races I know 175 isn't sustainable for any kind of duration. I scrapped the workout after 2 runs because I don't think the point is to run at T effort. I need to find my mojo from a few weeks ago. I guess I'd say I'm "deep" into marathon training but with 2 months to go I'd LIKE/WANT/EXPECT (whatever word you want to use) to be capable of workouts still. Heck, I did the 3x2T at 6,000 ft and 85F and my last 2 I slowed to 7:05 (goal was 6:50ish) but that's a hard workout.

Oh and I added you on strava so feel free to advice/comment/critque over there.  I think my VDOT is like 49ish.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Sounds good, we've sort of gone off the rails here on this thread. I do check in on the sub 3:20 thread here and there as well. This is the worst part of marathon training: when you're deep into it, but the end isn't in sight.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Kinda but I THINK talking about heat, how it sucks, how to compensate pace for it, how it can impact Chicago, and how we both bombed it this week is relevant if anyone wants to know how our Chicago training is going this year.

VDOT 53.37 

Joann Y

I absolutely died, or at least it felt that way, on the treadmill yesterday. The house was 75. The fans were off. I was soaking wet after my 5 mile warm up and nothing I did to try and keep the pace worked. Started at 6.7 with 8% incline and my heart rate sky rocketed. Changed that to about 8.5 and 2% and it didn't change much. 2 minute rest and start back up running by feel. Even 7.1 mph at 2% incline was pushing 175 and during marathon races I know 175 isn't sustainable for any kind of duration. I scrapped the workout after 2 runs because I don't think the point is to run at T effort. I need to find my mojo from a few weeks ago. I guess I'd say I'm "deep" into marathon training but with 2 months to go I'd LIKE/WANT/EXPECT (whatever word you want to use) to be capable of workouts still. Heck, I did the 3x2T at 6,000 ft and 85F and my last 2 I slowed to 7:05 (goal was 6:50ish) but that's a hard workout.

Oh and I added you on strava so feel free to advice/comment/critque over there.  I think my VDOT is like 49ish.

why 8% incline? just curious. what kind of workout were you doing? tempo?

Running Problem

Problem Child

why 8% incline? just curious. what kind of workout were you doing? tempo?

8% incline made it Lactate Threshold (T) pace for me without having to adjust the speed AND the incline. I actually blew the fuse trying to adjust the speed and the incline during the second mile of the first interval to mid 8 mph and 2% incline. It's an older treadmill so I was just trying to do the easiest thing for the intervals. I thought I'd try one of each but apparently not.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Thanks for the advice to try running by feel jmac because I did exactly that this weekend. Good advice for going in to Chicago with only GPS experience.

VDOT 53.37 

For anyone interested, I'm a 3:10 pacer out of the B corral.  There should also be a 3:10 pacer running out of C corral as well.

Someone previously asked about 3:20...that pace group has pacers in both corrals C and D.

Joann Y

8% incline made it Lactate Threshold (T) pace for me without having to adjust the speed AND the incline. I actually blew the fuse trying to adjust the speed and the incline during the second mile of the first interval to mid 8 mph and 2% incline. It's an older treadmill so I was just trying to do the easiest thing for the intervals. I thought I'd try one of each but apparently not.

If you have the time and/or energy... a few breweries... Moody Tongue, Alulu, Lo Rez. All pretty close to one another, super laid back, and I am pretty sure family friendly.

Running Problem

Problem Child

If you have the time and/or energy... a few breweries... Moody Tongue, Alulu, Lo Rez. All pretty close to one another, super laid back, and I am pretty sure family friendly.

Sounds good. Do you know if they’ll allow a 10 month old (brat) baby?

VDOT 53.37 

Joann Y

Sounds good. Do you know if they’ll allow a 10 month old (brat) baby?

Alulu for sure. And they have food. It feels like a restaurant. The other two I would say yes you just can't sit at the bar. Lo Rez has no food, just beer. Neat spot. Moody Tongue has tables and food too but maybe a bit more snacky. You can try some nice flights there and it's a beautiful space. I might call first but I'm almost certain you could go to any of them. Give you a different Chicago experience. Uber will probably be a good way to get around over there in Pilsen. Plenty of other yummy restaurants right around that area too.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Alulu for sure. And they have food. It feels like a restaurant. The other two I would say yes you just can't sit at the bar. Lo Rez has no food, just beer. Neat spot. Moody Tongue has tables and food too but maybe a bit more snacky. You can try some nice flights there and it's a beautiful space. I might call first but I'm almost certain you could go to any of them. Give you a different Chicago experience. Uber will probably be a good way to get around over there in Pilsen. Plenty of other yummy restaurants right around that area too.

Excellent. Since I'm staying through Tuesday, and I need something to do Saturday I might have to check these places out. I also heard the architecture river tour is a must do.

VDOT 53.37