2018 Chicago Marathon (Read 270 times)

Joann Y

Excellent. Since I'm staying through Tuesday, and I need something to do Saturday I might have to check these places out. I also heard the architecture river tour is a must do.

For sure. I loved the architecture tour.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

For sure. I loved the architecture tour.

Seconded.  We send everyone who visits on that tour.  Never disappointed.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Running Problem

Problem Child

I also heard there is a restaurant with a Chocolate Cake milk shake. I think it is a pizza place but I can't remember. All I know is my wife wanted to go there when she heard about the shake. Ideas? Apparently it's a popular/well known place.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Joann Y

I googled it. It looks like it's Portillo's. They definitely do have some good french fries and shakes there. It is sort of a local chain restaurant. If you want hot dogs and burgers, they are decent. I have not had the chocolate cake milkshake! Sounds interesting.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Recommendations for Friday and Saturday dinner. Saturday I'd prefer something simple like chicken and vegetables, or spagetti. I don't need a massive carb load and I'm a little afraid of it sometimes. Its for 3 people and I'll admit I'm the "picky" one so Friday and Saturday I'd "pull rank" on dinner choices. Also an idea of how soon I should make reservations since I'm assuming it's impossible to get dinner on a Friday night in Chicago.

Sunday - Tuesday I'm up for (almost) anything.

EDIT: Must allow a 10 month old child. Party of 4 if you include him.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

KCRuns

I also heard there is a restaurant with a Chocolate Cake milk shake. I think it is a pizza place but I can't remember. All I know is my wife wanted to go there when she heard about the shake. Ideas? Apparently it's a popular/well known place.

Portillo's.  Their chocolate cake is excellent, as is the shake.  It's a great casual lunch spot.

Joann Y

Recommendations for Friday and Saturday dinner. Saturday I'd prefer something simple like chicken and vegetables, or spagetti. I don't need a massive carb load and I'm a little afraid of it sometimes. Its for 3 people and I'll admit I'm the "picky" one so Friday and Saturday I'd "pull rank" on dinner choices. Also an idea of how soon I should make reservations since I'm assuming it's impossible to get dinner on a Friday night in Chicago.

I assume you'll be eating downtown on Fri/Sat? I honestly don't really know where to go downtown. Probably a good idea to make reservations now, I'm guessing!

Any particular part of the city or style of food? There are SO MANY PLACES to eat.

Size12shoes

Old Geezer

If you are staying at a hotel in the Loop, I'd highly recommend talking to the concierge at your hotel as soon as you can. Tell him/her what you want/need and they can make reservations for you. As far as I know, concierge service is free for Loop hotel guests, though I'm sure they would appreciate getting a "bonus" for their services. Restaurants in the Loop on the Saturday night before Marathon Sunday are VERY busy. Not sure about Friday nights, though. You should also seriously consider having your evening meal on Saturday mid-afternoon, not only to avoid the crowds, but also if you buy some snacks you can sit in your room Saturday night, put your feet on the bed, watch TV, and take it easy. Also, if you can, get your bib on Friday. The expo is very crowded on Saturdays.

Joann Y

Also, if you can, get your bib on Friday. The expo is very crowded on Saturdays.

This! The best experience I've had is getting there on Friday when the expo opens otherwise you need to get your meditation game on and just take in all the crowds. It's exciting in either case.

Joann Y

Dim-sum in Chinatown on a Sunday morning is always great and you can walk around Chinatown. Go early if you can. Lao Sze Chuan is a fantastic place (and my favorite place) for Chinese food (I haven't had their dim sum but I would presume it's good). Find any Mexican food place in Pilsen for dinner, it will be delicious and cheap. You can walk around on 18th Street while you are there and/or check out those breweries (some have food). Chicago is all about the neighborhoods. The Bib Gourmand is a great list of places to try. Every place I've been on the list is excellent and pretty reasonably priced. Most places in Chicago you can bring a kid especially if you go at 5 or 5:30pm. I would call, ask if a kid is ok, and make a reservation now.

Running Problem

Problem Child

The PLAN is to get the bib Friday. Since I have to travel it will be around 4 if I'm lucky.

As for dinner Saturday. Chicken and vegetables. Steak and veggies. Nothing fancy or risky like seafood. I don't have food allergies and I just want something simple. The BBQ place kinda sounded good. Just something in the general area is fine. I don't need a 45 minute car ride, or a 6 mile walk.

VDOT 53.37 

Joann Y

Yeah, I don't know downtown.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yeah, I don't know downtown.

That’s fine. I might check out Chinatown or Pilsner or anywhere else worth seeing. Heck if there was a cool Mountain View I’d hike up there.

VDOT 53.37 

Heck if there was a cool Mountain View I’d hike up there.

I take it geography is not really your thing, then?

Runners run

Running Problem

Problem Child

I take it geography is not really your thing, then?

Mount Roosevelt? I hear it is a thing in Chicago.

VDOT 53.37