2018 Chicago Marathon (Read 270 times)

I'll give you that one.  It can't be more than 20 feet of vertical rise but I'll be damned if that stupid bridge doesn't suck the life right out of you at mile 26.

Mount Roosevelt? I hear it is a thing in Chicago.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Apparently the Pizza Tour I wanted to book filled up. Any other suggestions for things to check out/do for Saturday, Sunday and Monday?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Brewing Runner

1. What is your strategy / goal for Chicago?  I see we have similar times for the half marathon

2.  What has your mileage been over the past 5 to 6 months?

Arvind Balaraman

first time running Chicago

I am not sure if I should follow the 3:15 pacer and factor in the fade at the end

or

follow the 3:20 pacer till mile 13 and then speed up a bit

My goal is to get sub 3:18 if possible

first time running Chicago

I am not sure if I should follow the 3:15 pacer and factor in the fade at the end

or

follow the 3:20 pacer till mile 13 and then speed up a bit

My goal is to get sub 3:18 if possible

You and I are in the same boat.  My plan is follow the 3:20 pace group up to mile 20 or so and gradually pick things up based on how I feel.

Thats going from a 7:38 pace hopefully down to 7:22 for the remainder.  That should bring me to 3:18's.

I had 22 mile runs of 7:44 pace and 7:29 pace in my training so I'm thinking I'll have a bit left late in the race.

Arvind Balaraman

I have been doing all my long runs (three 20 milers, one 21 and one 22)  at 8:25 pace . I have also had 7-13 miles run each week at 7:15 pace. Hopefully we can meet up at the race and run together. What corral are you in. I am in 3

I have been doing all my long runs (three 20 milers, one 21 and one 22)  at 8:25 pace . I have also had 7-13 miles run each week at 7:15 pace. Hopefully we can meet up at the race and run together. What corral are you in. I am in 3

I am in Corral B, Wave 1.  Sad

Looks like I can't follow that 3:20 pace group.

Arvind Balaraman

Every Corral has a 3:20 group

Arvind Balaraman

I am in Corral C. Wave 1. Every Corral has a 3:20 group

I am in Corral C. Wave 1. Every Corral has a 3:20 group

https://www.chicagomarathon.com/participant-information/nike-pace-team-information/

Corral A: 3:00, 3:05
                      Corral B: 3:00, 3:05, 3:10
                      Corral C: 3:10, 3:15, 3:20
                      Corral D: 3:20, 3:25, 3:30

Is this correct?

Joann Y

I am in Corral B, Wave 1.  Sad

Looks like I can't follow that 3:20 pace group.

You can always starts in corral C.

Arvind Balaraman

I was told that all Corrals will have multiple pacers. You are welcome in corral C 

Arvind Balaraman

To join the NRC Pacers, you must register at the NRC Pacer booth at the Abbott Health & Fitness Expo. NRC Pacers will be on-site to talk about pace strategy, how to locate your group at the start line and to answer general questions about the program.

Once you sign up, you will receive a bib number to wear on your back during the race that will indicate your pace group (e.g. 3:45). There is no cost to participate.

do I need to register even to follow a pacer ?

Byrnesie15

I don't think you need to register.  I ran with the 3:00 pace group  out of corral B in 2016 and didn't register beforehand.  I talked to the pacers at the Expo just to get a sense of who they were, etc., but I don't think I formally registered and certainly didn't wear a special bib on my back.  If you are shooting for 3:18, I'd suggest hanging with 3:20 crew and then breaking away later in the race.  I've always felt better about my performance in a race when I've gone conservative early and then sped up later, rather than going out faster and trying to hang on in the last few miles.  But, others might feel differently.

Runshortii

do I need to register even to follow a pacer ?

I was wondering the same thing. Is someone going to tell me I’m following the pacer too closely if I don’t register? Lol. My plan (assuming the weather cooperates) is to start conservative and then aim for a 3:25 so I would like to know where the 3:25 and 3:30 pacers are