2018 Chicago Marathon (Read 270 times)

I'm a 3:10 pacer out of corral B.  Nobody will kick you out of the race or ask you to move up/back if you're not registered.  They just ask you to register and put a bib on your back to help pacers see runners who are trying to run a certain time and to help runners who are trying to pack up with others with similar goals.  I expect all pacers will run even splits so if you start with a pace group at the high end of your goal target and pick it up if you feel good, you should be in good shape.

Side note- they did change the course slightly from past years.  Most the change is between 20 - 23, I think due to construction.  Plenty people to follow - just a PSA in case you lose bearings on where you are on the course.

I'll be in the pace booth at the expo from noon - 3 on Friday in case anyone drops by 

I was wondering the same thing. Is someone going to tell me I’m following the pacer too closely if I don’t register? Lol. My plan (assuming the weather cooperates) is to start conservative and then aim for a 3:25 so I would like to know where the 3:25 and 3:30 pacers are

miniSx2

The Jogger

10 days to go...where is the weather thread?  This will be my 11th Chicago.  Can't wait..even though I rolled my ankle 10 days ago, but it's improving.

26.2 2007-4:19, 2008-4:00 2009-3:42 2010-3:36 2011-3:18 2012-3:06 2013-3:04 2017-2:59 2019: 2:56. Few thuds in between.

10 days to go...where is the weather thread?  This will be my 11th Chicago.  Can't wait..even though I rolled my ankle 10 days ago, but it's improving.

High of 62/low of 52....40% chance of rain in the morning.  A lot could change in a week.  If the rain holds off, we are talking PR's for a lot of people.

miniSx2

The Jogger

High of 62/low of 52....40% chance of rain in the morning.  A lot could change in a week.  If the rain holds off, we are talking PR's for a lot of people.

yeah, it was a joke...I've never seen the forecast for Chicago accurate this far out.  But it's fun to mess with people when they're tapering.

26.2 2007-4:19, 2008-4:00 2009-3:42 2010-3:36 2011-3:18 2012-3:06 2013-3:04 2017-2:59 2019: 2:56. Few thuds in between.

Running Problem

Problem Child

yeah, it was a joke...I've never seen the forecast for Chicago accurate this far out.  But it's fun to mess with people when they're tapering.

It's fun, but at the same time it's a little annoying seeing social media FLOODED with postings of what the weather is each hour it seems to change. At this point it's looking optimistic. It could heat up, cool down, bring more or less rain, more or less wind, OR a combination of everything including a hot windy wind.

I'm one of the hopefuly PRs (BQ actually) going in to this trying NOT to check the weather until about a week from now. I still haven't officially picked my shoes. Pretty sure I have decided between Glide and SNB but I go back and forth.

EDIT: I hear the expo has pace tattoos. Are they free? Where do runners pick them up? Any suggestions for good food North of the river, or within public transportation distance for Monday?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Byrnesie15

Brewingrunner--Not sure if the expo has tattoos, but I've used this website: http://www.marathonguide.com/fitnesscalcs/PaceBandCreator.cfm to create a pace band a bunch of times.  Just print it out at home, cover it on both sides with some clear packing tape and you are good to go!

In the past, they have had free tattoos at the Nike Pacer booth but I can't confirm if they will this year.  If I get word I'll let you know.

It's fun, but at the same time it's a little annoying seeing social media FLOODED with postings of what the weather is each hour it seems to change. At this point it's looking optimistic. It could heat up, cool down, bring more or less rain, more or less wind, OR a combination of everything including a hot windy wind.

I'm one of the hopefuly PRs (BQ actually) going in to this trying NOT to check the weather until about a week from now. I still haven't officially picked my shoes. Pretty sure I have decided between Glide and SNB but I go back and forth.

EDIT: I hear the expo has pace tattoos. Are they free? Where do runners pick them up? Any suggestions for good food North of the river, or within public transportation distance for Monday?

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brewingrunner--Not sure if the expo has tattoos, but I've used this website: http://www.marathonguide.com/fitnesscalcs/PaceBandCreator.cfm to create a pace band a bunch of times.  Just print it out at home, cover it on both sides with some clear packing tape and you are good to go!

I have that right now. The tattoo is sort of a back up. Since I've never used one I'm not sure it will work...you know, nothing new on race day.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Brew - remember what we said about feel! Don't worry about what your total time is at each mile. Just calculate what you did the last split in through mental math (I think you're looking for right around 7:00 on the dot so that's super easy to calculate), and figure if you're faster than :55, you're pushing too hard. In general, I think pace bands are a bad idea, unless the only purpose you will use them for is to slow down. But if you're looking at your pace band at mile 10 and are 15 seconds behind pace, the natural tendency is to speed up, which is a bad decision. I also find that doing the mental math keeps me engaged in something else besides how bad the pain is. I like doing a lot of math around mile 20 to figure out where I'm at and what I would need to run to get to X time.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Joann Y

Brew - remember what we said about feel! Don't worry about what your total time is at each mile. Just calculate what you did the last split in through mental math (I think you're looking for right around 7:00 on the dot so that's super easy to calculate), and figure if you're faster than :55, you're pushing too hard. In general, I think pace bands are a bad idea, unless the only purpose you will use them for is to slow down. But if you're looking at your pace band at mile 10 and are 15 seconds behind pace, the natural tendency is to speed up, which is a bad decision. I also find that doing the mental math keeps me engaged in something else besides how bad the pain is. I like doing a lot of math around mile 20 to figure out where I'm at and what I would need to run to get to X time.

+1   If you push the lap button at each mile you will see if you are hitting 7:00 or not. 6:50 slow down slightly. 7:10 speed up slightly. That worked well for me last year. Oh! And somewhere around mile 19 or 20 you will hit the Pilsen neighborhood. Soak up and enjoy the energy there. It can really lift you and carry you through the rest of the race. I love those miles.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

And somewhere around mile 19 or 20 you will hit the Pilsen neighborhood. Soak up and enjoy the energy there. It can really lift you and carry you through the rest of the race. I love those miles.

Yeah, soak up as much good vibes as you can, because the area after that (Chinatown) kinda sucks for vibes.  Also sucks for shade.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

+1   If you push the lap button at each mile you will see if you are hitting 7:00 or not. 6:50 slow down slightly. 7:10 speed up slightly. That worked well for me last year. Oh! And somewhere around mile 19 or 20 you will hit the Pilsen neighborhood. Soak up and enjoy the energy there. It can really lift you and carry you through the rest of the race. I love those miles.

I have worn a pace band the last several marathons, and couldn't find focus enough to figure out which line I'm on, let alone do math.  Keeping an eye on pacers has helped me, however.

BTW, I was in Chicago the other day, sneaking in a quick run between trains, and just for fun recorded the GPS.  Betcha you didn't know I can run like that!

FYI, I'm not running Chicago this year, just stalking your thread.

Changed the course this year.  But that part still sucks.

Yeah, soak up as much good vibes as you can, because the area after that (Chinatown) kinda sucks for vibes.  Also sucks for shade.

Size12shoes

Old Geezer

I hear the expo has pace tattoos. Are they free? Where do runners pick them up?

I know one year the booth with the pacers had free temporary pace tattoos. Very easy to apply and remove. I think one needed water to apply and rubbing alcohol to remove.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yeah it's around 7s (I think 7:03 or 4 which is also easy) which is a REALLY easy number for me to math. I get the "stay engaged" part of it. Keeps the mental game sharp instead of going dull focusing on total time. What I DON'T understand is how the pace band could be wrong. I'd understand it being wrong compared to GPS but if I'm crossing Mile 3 or Mile 23, and I have my "official timer" on my wrist how would I not know I'd actually be 15 seconds behind? Since I've only done GPS marathons I would appreciate any input you have. I'd automatically assume crossing mile 15 at a known time on a certified course compared to a set time would be accurate.

I'm HOPING I need to slow down at miles 20-26 but I'm also hoping the pacer for 3:05 is aiming for 3:04:59.

VDOT 53.37