2018 Chicago Marathon (Read 270 times)

Joann Y

I have worn a pace band the last several marathons, and couldn't find focus enough to figure out which line I'm on, let alone do math.  Keeping an eye on pacers has helped me, however.

BTW, I was in Chicago the other day, sneaking in a quick run between trains, and just for fun recorded the GPS.  Betcha you didn't know I can run like that!

FYI, I'm not running Chicago this year, just stalking your thread.

Yeah, the pace band seems like unnecessary complication. Maybe it depends on your personality but it feels too restrictive to me like I might give up if things aren't working out. Keeping an eye on a pacer for the first 15-16 to slow me down and keep me in control and then picking it up from there has worked well. The best advice I ever read was to not expend any unnecessary energy in the first 15 miles. If I feel myself tensing up, feeling anxious, wondering about pace, going around too many people etc, I let it go as using too much energy. Then, start the race after that. The pacer helps with the not using too much energy thing.. let them do that work. I don't typically run with people so by mile 15 I'm usually ready to let them go and speed up a little ahead. Whatever works for you I guess.

Ledlincoln, I love that GPS map of your run! Very funny!

miniSx2

The Jogger

Just checked the forecast...its trending up. Low 63 high 66 on Sunday. We need it to be 10-15 degrees cooler!

I've never used a tatoo. Pacing groups are very good there. It is easy to get carried away and go out fast in Chicago, as the spectating crowds in the first half of the course are crazy.

26.2 2007-4:19, 2008-4:00 2009-3:42 2010-3:36 2011-3:18 2012-3:06 2013-3:04 2017-2:59 2019: 2:56. Few thuds in between.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Michaelmarty: corral B you say? Well hopefully I’m well ahead of you on Sunday but I might swing by for a quick handshake if I have a minute. Mostly a face with the name kind of thing. Not a ‘I want you to pace me’ kind of thing.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

miniSx2

The Jogger

Low 66 High 80 is the current forecast on WGN.

26.2 2007-4:19, 2008-4:00 2009-3:42 2010-3:36 2011-3:18 2012-3:06 2013-3:04 2017-2:59 2019: 2:56. Few thuds in between.

Yes sir!  3:10, corral B.  I think one of the 3:05 pacers is a RA guy too, as is one of my teammates.  I also have a teammate that is pacing 3:00 so if you need introductions we are all working the expo at either 9AM or noon Friday.  I start at noon but may try to get there early to see if I can get a pair of Vapor Flys.

Michaelmarty: corral B you say? Well hopefully I’m well ahead of you on Sunday but I might swing by for a quick handshake if I have a minute. Mostly a face with the name kind of thing. Not a ‘I want you to pace me’ kind of thing.

Joann Y

86 degrees in Chicago today. Lucky dogs, it will be back in the 60s tomorrow.

86 degrees in Chicago today. Lucky dogs, it will be back in the 60s tomorrow.

The Monday forecast says 81°.  You never know how things can change.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Runshortii

The Monday forecast says 81°.  You never know how things can change.

Better Monday than sunday hopefully

Arvind Balaraman

where can I buy ventra cards?

Joann Y

https://www.ventrachicago.com/how-to/ventra-tickets/

All of the "L" stops will have a vending machine where you can buy tickets if you are planning on taking the train.

Bob Bob and Bob

Sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere, but can one use a GPS watch (Garmin) running Chicago?  I understand that there is always some discrepancy in GPS distances and what not, but will it be completely haywire through sections of the course?

I think I’ve read to shut off “auto lap” and hit it manually at the markers.

I’m also assuming that kms will be marked as well, or is that a foolish assumption?

Thx.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere, but can one use a GPS watch (Garmin) running Chicago?  I understand that there is always some discrepancy in GPS distances and what not, but will it be completely haywire through sections of the course?

I’m also assuming that kms will be marked as well, or is that a foolish assumption?

Thx.

I plan on turning off GPS, using the LAP button at each mile and monitoring the total time and mile splits. Everything I've read has said the GPS is a mix of reliable and unreliable. At least total time and mile markers are pretty much 100% accurate.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Joann Y

Here's my map from last year. Pretty jiggy downtown if you zoom in. Came up as 27.34 miles before I changed it to 26.2. I kept the GPS on but turned off the 1 mile autolap and did it manually.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Here's my map from last year. Pretty jiggy downtown if you zoom in. Came up as 27.34 miles before I changed it to 26.2. I kept the GPS on but turned off the 1 mile autolap and did it manually.

Ooh, seeing that course does make me want to do Chicago in the future.  I don't want to do it if it's in the 80s.  60s, you bet.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

For all the misleading info your watch will give you, you might as well just use a Timex.  As JoannY points out, the signal bounces off the buildings something fierce.  Best just click off the miles when you pass the signs and look at your splits.  Don't bother looking at your mid-lap "pace", it will be terribly wrong too.

For the long-term perspective, I suggest creating a pace-band.  So you know when you hit the 20mi marker, you should be at a certain time.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do