2018 Chicago Marathon (Read 270 times)

Ooh, seeing that course does make me want to do Chicago in the future.  I don't want to do it if it's in the 80s.  60s, you bet.

Agree with all this.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

I just set up my Garmin data screens. Elapsed Time and heart rate. Elapsed time because if I accidentally stop the timer instead of hit the lap button I'll have my total running time. Heart rate because I have always used it and know where I'm usually at for marathons and what heart rate is not going to last for long. It's also kind of a security blanked since I don't have GPS.

Pace band printed. I also plan to grab a tattoo, and some Gatorade Gels, at the Expo. Additionally I'm planning on sticking with the pacer with the dream he/she/they is/are targeting a 3:04:59 and not a 3:05Tight lippedx.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Joann Y

I just set up my Garmin data screens. Elapsed Time and heart rate. Elapsed time because if I accidentally stop the timer instead of hit the lap button I'll have my total running time. Heart rate because I have always used it and know where I'm usually at for marathons and what heart rate is not going to last for long. It's also kind of a security blanked since I don't have GPS.

Pace band printed. I also plan to grab a tattoo, and some Gatorade Gels, at the Expo. Additionally I'm planning on sticking with the pacer with the dream he/she/they is/are targeting a 3:04:59 and not a 3:05Tight lippedx.

Best of luck!

Arvind Balaraman

weather has got me worried

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

weather has got me worried

Welcome to Chicago!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

JoeTracy

Hi!

We're looking for people who want to run the 2018 NYC Marathon but do not have a bib. On 10/12/18, Jimmy Kimmel Live is hosting a contest in New York where the winner gets a bib for the 2018 NYC Marathon! If anyone is interested, please email me at:

Joseph.M.Tracy.-ND@abc.com

Submissions are due by Monday October 8th at 9:00AM.

Please help spread the word!

Thanks,

Joe

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, the pace band seems like unnecessary complication. Maybe it depends on your personality but it feels too restrictive to me like I might give up if things aren't working out. Keeping an eye on a pacer for the first 15-16 to slow me down and keep me in control and then picking it up from there has worked well. The best advice I ever read was to not expend any unnecessary energy in the first 15 miles. If I feel myself tensing up, feeling anxious, wondering about pace, going around too many people etc, I let it go as using too much energy. Then, start the race after that. The pacer helps with the not using too much energy thing.. let them do that work. I don't typically run with people so by mile 15 I'm usually ready to let them go and speed up a little ahead. Whatever works for you I guess.

I ran across this approach in a very old race report:

went back to chanting: 7:45 (mile 1), 37:47 (5), 1:15:34 (10), 1:53 (15), 2:31 (20), 3:01(24), 3:17:59 (26.2)-----I try to drill the desired splits into memory so I worry less about each mile and break the race into segments.

Wow, never though of that.

[The blockquote link doesn't work, so here's the entire RR:  https://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/be98addac4a147378019ac28b66592ca]

Joann Y

I ran across this approach in a very old race report:

Wow, never though of that.

[The blockquote link doesn't work, so here's the entire RR:  https://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/be98addac4a147378019ac28b66592ca]

Jeepers. That doesn't seem fun.