The Madness of Frank Barr and Zebulon Pike (Read 593 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Short Story - Goal: Who knows, I've never run this thing before. Given flatland marathon times, my goal was to complete this thing in 6:30-7:00, but anything was possible. This translated to 4:00 to the top -> 6:30 to the bottom or 4:18 to the top -> 7:00 to the bottom. Average Male Time over the years: 7:06 Weather: Sunny and warm, a touch humid at the base. 36 and windy at the summit. Snow on the ground from yesterday's storm. My times: 4:19 to the top, 2:29 to the bottom. 6:48 total time to finish. Overall male finisher 247/528. Division 50/91. Recovery: M&Ms, Hershey's Kisses, water, Gatorade Endurance, 2 beers (local brew called 1554), grapes. Long Story - Top Ten Most Famous Last Words - 10. The switchbacks will make this a pretty easy climb. 9. It should get easier once we get above all the trees and can see the top. 8. It's just up and down, right? 7. The A Frame is only three miles from the summit. 6. At least it is a sunny day. 5. I usually don't have to eat during a marathon. 4. Maybe I should have run a Double instead of just doing the Marathon. 3. There is really only one major hill on the course. 2. We have trails and hills in Tennessee, and I'm pretty good at running them. 1. Oxygen is overrated. [PLEASE CONTACT ME FOR THE LONG VERSION]
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, I just read as far as your "Top 10 Contents Page" and I can't wait to read the chapters in-depth tomorrow (too sleepy now to give it the attention it deserves)! Kudos, Trent! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Purdey

Self anointed title

Respect.

Congratulations! You have my respect. I have a friend who ran it too and I can't wait to hear his report.
          "It is very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runner. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants to quit." George Sheehan
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks all! HR, Who was your friend who ran?
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Amazing! Though I bet Camelbak would not be happy to hear that you didn't want their product in the finish line photos, LOL! That is awesome, Trent...incredible accomplishment! I can't really even fathom it. WTG!!! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent...His name is Dave Nelson from North Liberty, Iowa.
                "It is very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runner. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants to quit." George Sheehan
                Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Hey Trent! Wow that was a tome! I felt like I ran Pike's Peak myself: completely exhausted Tongue That was an awesome report. I have no idea how you remembered so much details. Excellent job on the preparations. It made a world of difference! Now that you have conquered it, will you venture into the world of ultra running?
                    Props to you, Trent! And, that has to be the most detailed running report I have ever read. I'm having you write mine next time.
                    My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                      Trent, You're nuts. You're also one of my heroes now. Great job! 9 marathons in 14 months and then the Pikes Peak...very impressive. Ken
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks folks! Hey HR, Dave finished just a few minutes after I did. Any word on what he thought? Yeah, I am a bit crazy Wink Hey, I thought that WAS an ultra. Seven hours afoot, sure felt it!
                          Awesome. We don't get hills more than a few hundred feet here in Southern England! I'm totally humbled by the thought of a 4 hour half that nearly brings you to your knees. And then you had to run home too.... Sincerely well done for your meticulous planning and you deserve to have hit your goal time. Charlie
                            Trent...I received an email from Dave the other day. Below is a portion of that email: “I’d have to say that if soreness is any indication of my accomplishment that I should feel good about what I have done. My legs, calves mostly are still giving me fits. Regarding the marathon itself, they didn't lie about anything in the description. It was one long uphill grind, within the last 1/2 mile to the top; I had to do some serious soul searching to want to continue. Glad to have survived!" All who participated in this adventure have my utmost respect. My wife and I are trying to do the 50 state thing, and I am very happy I have Colorado out of the way! Big grin
                            Wingz

Professional Noob

One word, Trent: Wow. Cool

Roads were made for journeys...

Trent, I'm down on my knees, bowing to you!!! You are crazy, but I say that only with respect! Wow!! Eryn
                                So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3