Sleep (Read 919 times)

As I've been increasing my mileage in the past month or so, I've noticed that my need for sleep has also increased! I've always been one that needs a lot of sleep anyway and would function great on about 8.5-9 hours. Last night I slept 10.5 hours and feel like I normally do when I sleep my usual 8.5-9 hours. I've also started adding in naps during the day to help me out which does seem to make a difference as well. Does anyone else have this happen? I'm hoping that my body gets used to this kind of mileage soon so I won't require quite this much sleep.
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
    jeffdonahue

As I've been increasing my mileage in the past month or so, I've noticed that my need for sleep has also increased! I've always been one that needs a lot of sleep anyway and would function great on about 8.5-9 hours. Last night I slept 10.5 hours and feel like I normally do when I sleep my usual 8.5-9 hours. I've also started adding in naps during the day to help me out which does seem to make a difference as well. Does anyone else have this happen? I'm hoping that my body gets used to this kind of mileage soon so I won't require quite this much sleep.
      10.5 hours, are you kidding me???? Obviously you dont have any kids. On a good night I get about 6 hours of sleep - last night, about 3 (though I feel as if I could keel over right now). And I cant remember the last time I got to take a nap in teh middle of the day - not sure my boss would go for that.
        Whoa, I don't know if I have ever gotten 10 straight hours of sleep. Smile I have noticed though on long run days I am more likely to take a nap. Otherwise I am pretty tired in the evening.

~Sara
        It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

That's one of the side effects of high mileage. I'm normally fine with 6-7 hours of sleep but when I'm marathon training I need 8-9 hours and I still fall asleep during the day. The only solution I've found is less mileage. Tom
            As I've been increasing my mileage in the past month or so, I've noticed that my need for sleep has also increased!
            Sure, this can happen when you increase the workload/mileage. Once you reach a mileage plateau it should stabilize, but let's face it - the body does require "rest" (i.e. sleep) to rebuild after hard or long days. One way to tell if you are getting enough is by your REM sleep - characterized by dreaming. Some people require more sleep than others, that's just the way it is. I knew one guy who could not function on less than 9 hours sleep. The good news - needing more sleep is an indication that your training ramp-up is working. The body has been stressed and the rest you get by getting more sleep is where your system is rebuilding and getting stronger. Take care, Gino
              I'm hoping that my body gets used to this kind of mileage soon...
              Hey, I like the graph on your log. I haven't been able to figure out how to get a graph on mine... if I could I'd make the log public (my log records duration, not distance... except for races.) A question: What is "HRR" ? Some of your runs are labeled that, and I don't know how to interpret taht. Gino
              Lisa3.1

10.5 hours, are you kidding me???? Obviously you dont have any kids.
                I have a 2 1/2 year old son, and I sleep as long as he does some nights, which is about 10-12 hours.
                finney

Resident pinniped

So far it sounds like you're just noticed the effects of higher milage, but if you start having problems with your mood (depression, irritability) odd food cravings, lack of motivation, and a string of consistantly bad runs, you might be overtraining. There is a very fine line sometimes...

The Greatest of All Time

Wow. I can't remember the last time I slept for 10 hours, let alone 9. I get 7 a night and even with my weekly mileage it's enough. I am so used to waking up at 4:45 that I can't sleep past 6:30 on the weekends! I have found the older I get, the less sleep I require. But when I was in my late 20's and was really active in triathlons I slept more and when training for the Ironman I took a nap every day. I still squeeze in brief naps sometimes on weekend afternoons, but only if I raced or ran long that morning.
                    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                      I probably need more sleep. I average 5 to 6 hours a night. If I get more than that I feel groggy all day.

Michelle

I only sleep about 7 hours per night, but after a week of hard workouts I might sleep for 9 or 10 hours. I experimented with taking 20 minute naps in my car at lunch time for a month or two, and that worked out pretty well while I did it. Since I now run at lunch time almost every day as being the least intrusive time to get 5 miles in, I haven't been doing the power nap thing.
                        I probably need more sleep. I average 5 to 6 hours a night. If I get more than that I feel groggy all day.
                        Me too. I try to get up at the same time every day, and just go to sleep when I get tired at night. My body will make me tired at the appropriate time since it knows when I'll be getting up.
                        So far it sounds like you're just noticed the effects of higher milage, but if you start having problems with your mood (depression, irritability) odd food cravings, lack of motivation, and a string of consistantly bad runs, you might be overtraining.
                        Or pregnant.

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

10.5 hours, are you kidding me???? Obviously you dont have any kids.
                          Holy Mackerel... I am so jealous! I can't remember the last time I got even 8 hours of sleep. In fact, I've gotten so little sleep each night in the last year or two, that even if I try to sleep a long time, I can't. 6 hours is about the limit for me right now. But, I will agree that running makes me sleep harder and fall asleep faster (collapse on the bed, actually).
                            I have a 2 1/2 year old son, and I sleep as long as he does some nights, which is about 10-12 hours.
                            Same here... my 2 year old son sleeps 12 hours a night.

Feeling the growl again

If I'm not training I need about 7-8 hours to feel good, so I'm a need-sleep type. I remember when I was training at my peak (80-110 mpw with 3 workouts per week) I easily needed 10-12 hours per night just to maintain that...The couple weeks I hit 120+ mpw I needed a 2-hr nap too!! Now with a baby I have been averaging 5-6 hrs/night. How well I am doing with my training is directly related to how much sleep I get, on a good week when I get 7-8 hrs for a few days straight I am significantly faster and can go further than I have been averaging.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

My normal range is 5-7 hours even with no outside pressures. I'd like to sleep longer but I guess that inability to get more comes with aging. I feel great on 7 hours but can drag on 5 if I've had a race or trained hard that day. I could never sleep 10 hours unless I was sick.
                                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33