Training in Ramadan (for Muslim runners) (Read 655 times)

obk

This post is to collect view from Muslim runners on how and when they train during the Ramadan period when they are fasting (no food and no drink) from sunrise to sunset.

So I'll start.

At the sunset (Maghrib), I eat two dates and drink a glass of water. I go running straight after that and have my full 'Iftar' when I come back.

I just did this yesterday, and sensations were great. I felt very well, the two dates gave me some energy to help without introducing a strong digesion phase, and most importantly I was able to drink thoughout my run.

What are your methods?

2012 goals: Run 650Km; Ride 1800Km; Swim 140Km; Finish Sprint Triathlon in 1:30; Finish half marathon (no time limit) Done - jan 29 in Marrakech, Morocco - timing: 2h07m51s; Finish Olympic Distance triathlon (Done - Nov 10 in Agadir)

#artbydmcbride

I have a Muslim friend and she makes sure to hydrate very well before bedtime  (even if it means a bathroom trip late at night)  Smile

Runners run

You might want to have a small cup of coffee or tea, as well.

Ramadan Karim

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Troy.

This post is to collect view from Muslim runners on how and when they train during the Ramadan period when they are fasting (no food and no drink) from sunrise to sunset.

So I'll start.

At the sunset (Maghrib), I eat two dates and drink a glass of water. I go running straight after that and have my full 'Iftar' when I come back.

I just did this yesterday, and sensations were great. I felt very well, the two dates gave me some energy to help without introducing a strong digesion phase, and most importantly I was able to drink thoughout my run.

What are your methods?

I have coached a number of Muslim runners, and their running during Ramadan has always been similar to yours: a small bit to eat after sunset, followed by the day's workout. They are also careful to hydrate well during the night.

I should note that the Muslim runners I have coached have always worked primarily on base mileage during Ramadan as preparation for the fall cross country season--I have not ever had them running anaerobic workouts while fasting.

It should be mathematical, but it's not.

MuneebA

Unbelievably late to this discussion but I'm on summer break so I have a medium-sized iftar(dinner) and then run after Taraweeh(night prayers). I used to run around 6am after suhoor(breakfast) and it was manageable but not ideal. I also drink lots of water and avoid the fried foods that come out of the shadows during the month