Athenas and Clydesdales (Read 1110 times)

As a heavier runner 240ish 5'10". I find it hard to be accepted into the running world. All the other runners just assume I can't keep up when our club meets and just take off without me. Without being rude how can I get some encouragement and support to keep running. I am an officer of the club and do my share of promoting the club. I do however feel a little out of the loop because of the "good ole boys club" of fast runners. I don't want them to slow their pace or even run with me, but just to acknowledge that I am there and trying to get to the point where I could run with them. Anyone else had similar experiences? I am trying to recruit some heavier runners to run with me, but they are all scared their knees are going to collapse. Thanks for letting me vent. jawtech Confused
      Sounds like it's time to find a new club that is more accepting of all types of runners.
      Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
      Wingz

Professional Noob

It's hard being left behind - it happens to me frequenlty. I applaud your decision to keep running in spite of this. While I don't have advice for your group if you've already tried talking to the members about this, know there is some online virtual support available here at RunningAHEAD. Two come to my mind, probably because I'm a member myself! There's the Back of the Pack-ers, and RA Running for Weight Loss groups. Welcome!

Roads were made for journeys...

mb1973

I find my running club to be more of a running clique than a club. I had an idea for a race series in my area in 2006 or 2007 and was invited by the local running club to come to a metting so it could be discussed. (our running club is the only one in town and they put on and/or help direct 98% of the races in our area.) I went to two meetings without the subject ever coming up and really felt out of place. Barely anyone came up to me and my wife to introduce themselves, find out about us, etc. Needless to say the idea was put on the backburner and was never really brought up again. Well, here we are in 2008 and lo and behold, there is a new race series coming up this summer and fall!! You would have thought I would be contacted for some input since the original ideas was mine. But no, no phone call, email, message on the message board. So, I do not think I will be participating. I think the majority of running clubs out there are probably good ole boy clubs. If you have a choice in your area you are lucky. Me, I have but one, and I do not really see myself joining.
          chuckstone

I'm sure that stinks to be left out that way. I'm not in a club, but... I'm a newer runner and was the slowest when I joined a group at the local YMCA. Of course I normally ran alone on our runs. It wasn't so much about being ignored as being behind. So now (10 months later) I can run with many of them, but if there is someone running slower and/or alone, I'll stay behind with them. We most often run before daylight so someone running alone seems more lonely (to me). And happily, I'm still getting faster (than I was). If your club gets new people often enough, maybe some of them will run at a pace you can match.
            RunNow

I went to two meetings without the subject ever coming up and really felt out of place. Barely anyone came up to me and my wife to introduce themselves, find out about us, etc. Needless to say the idea was put on the backburner and was never really brought up again..
              Your experience with a running club is, i think, all too common. I've belonged to several running clubs in different cities in different parts of the country, and one of the trademarks of ALL the clubs have been cliqueishness and utter lack of socializing ability or even basic interaction--Not so much from the regular folks who just come out to run or to race, but from the club "officers" and "board members." They are like members of the Misfits Club or something. Weirdos. Don't know why that is, but it definitely is. My advice--steer clear of the actual politics/organization/power freaks of running groups and just hang with the runners. To the original poster, I would agree with the person who advised you to leave the group. I bet there's a support group for people who are overweight and trying to get in shape near you. Join that, trim down, get fast, and then go back and beat the social retards of that so-called "running group."
                Not sure where you're located, but if you're in the Denver/Boulder area, check out the Boulder Trail Runners... a lot of our runs are mellow and we love everyone that shows up, no matter what their size (I'm 210lbs and have never felt looked down on by anyone in the group). The Boulder Penguins are another great group... focusing on longer and slower trail runs, x-country skiing, and long hikes. Both groups have a lot of ultrarunners and trail runners...who tend to be a lot more laid back and friendly than those in the road racing scene. Maybe you can find a similar group where you are. - Chris
                Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Can you start your own club? I mean, as an officer of your current club, you most likely know how to make that type of group run. Just a thought. We have a small running club in my town but I'm not a member. I know some of the members from work and they are pretty nice, but I'm not at a point where I want to join.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Thanks for all of the support! The club is the only one in town I guess I will just have to get lighter and faster. It doesn't help that I started running last year at the advanced age of 47. Thanks for the heads up about the back of the packers, sounds like just the place for me. I will try to check it out later today. Keep on pounding!
                    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Had a similar experience. Ran with a club for several months, which was basically me running by myself when everyone except the club mentor ran up ahead way faster than me. This was a club that advertised as "all abilities" but I was the only newbie at the time and the slowest runner there. They'd all give words of encouragement and then take off without me. After a while, I just quit going, but kept running. FWIW, I don't think they're necessarily wrong for their actions. I don't think it's fair to expect folks to dump a training run for me just because I'm slow (although the support is nice). Some clubs are more geared toward newer/slower runners and that's great. It just doesn't seem like you've found one. I also don't think that you're having a hard time being accepted in the running world, you're just having a hard time finding someone of similar abilities and goals that you can run comfortably with. Do some solo running, keep your eye out and I'll bet a nickel you'll at least find a running partner fairly soon. Good article on this subject in this month's Runners World.

Oh Mighty Wing

Funny, i'm not sure it has anything to do with being bigger. I'm a 5'9 150lbs female and I'm scared to death to go try our two running groups in town because if I go alone that's how i'll end up and then why should I have gone. The West Chester Running Club is definitely a good ol' boy thing. They have maybe 11 members and most if not ALL of them are men who run fast. I looked into it awhile ago and I think their slowest runs were 9mm!! Then a running store opened up and they do runs during the week and on the weekend and their slowest runs are 10mm - 1030 mm. Which means there is a good chance I will be left behind and I don't want to experience that. It's funny too because you would think these runs are to help newbies, but they really aren't they are a social gathering of runners who run fairly fast to me... I might be able to keep up with the 10/1030 for 5 miles, but certainly nothing over that and it's the long runs I'd want company on anyway... I certainly can't socialize much at that pace - sing along, answer a few questions sure but get to know anyone - no way... I say keep your head up! And try to meet people at races who might make good running partners. I met mine at a race 40 minutes away - turned out she lived half a mile. It's nice because we run together 1/2 days a week and those runs are our slow whatever runs so we can stay paced with each other and talk and have a good time. I think for me this is a better decision then a group. Good luck to finding something that fits!!!

Imploder

You know, I found the same thing in my first forays out to running groups -- it would say "all paces welcome" and then I'd be left in the dust, with no one at my pace, and I'd feel like an idiot for going there, even when people were nice! I suspect we all go out once or twice, and find no one to run with, and never go back. If we all kept going back, we'd find each other! Roll eyes That said, a couple of things worked for me: Although I had no plans to run a marathon or half-marathon, as a frustrated newbie a running friend suggested I check out the marathon training groups. Lots of them (I went to the local chapter of USAFit) have people at pretty slow paces, and the organized group was a good way to ramp up my running in a schedule manner. And despite myself I ended up running the half! But you sure don't have to. Another great resource is Meetup. I notice a lot of informal Meetup.com running groups around my 'hood which are just things like "let's all meet at this location and run to here and back". You can even start your own and publicize it with flyers at the local running stores and gyms, grocery store bulletin boards and such. If you have a YMCA, sometimes they have running groups. And I've also found people training for triathalons may be fast swimmers, but slower runners. Charity groups like Team in Training tend to attract beginners, and signing up for the super-local fun runs and being friendly is also a great idea, which someone mentioned above, since those are likely to be folks in your 'hood. Finally, when you get to all these groups and find your running buddies, each run, look around and find the new person who feels even less like they belong there than you, and give them props. This is huge. Even when I've run alone because my pace doesn't match anyone else (sometimes I'm between groups, even!), there's still the camaraderie at the start, sometimes even at the end, which makes all the difference.
                            Could you start a 2nd group run, as part of your club/group? Maybe bill it as a social run/recovery run? Our "club" isn't so much a club as a big group email list... there are no members/officers/by-laws/rules, etc. Not sure if this wold work in a "real" club w/ rules and all that stuff (yuck!). In our group, if you want to put on a run you just post it to the list and usually a few of the 1400 members will show up :-) Our group started with just one run, the Thursday Happy Hour run, which was fast, fast, fast... as time went by we now have 6-8 (or more) group runs a week, some long, some really really really long, some short, some fast, some slow... it works really well!
                              This isn't directed towards anyone specific but why expect faster people to slow down? They're training too. I can understand helping the newer people for a run once a week or something but an entire group cannot possibly run at the pace of the slowest runner am I right? People just have to find runners or running groups with people who run at their same pace. That's probably the best bet. I still run a bit slow for the longer distances but for medium distance runs I run with a running group which I didn't join until this year because I spent the last year training to be a little faster so I could be a part of the team. For me to be apart of there team. Not them be a part of mine. Like I said, I'm still a little slower but I can push a bit harder for the medium distance runs and for my half way point in a marathon I did in December I got 1:49 which isn't bad. I'm working on getting better and better so I can run the longer runs with them also. I think it's up to us to get to where we want, not others to put themselves on hold for us. That's how I feel. But a running club that advertises a certain way I might feel differently about that. Anyways good luck to us all. It takes a long time to increase speed but slowly but surely it's worth it to me.
                              Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

This isn't directed towards anyone specific but why expect faster people to slow down? They're training too. I can understand helping the newer people for a run once a week or something but an entire group cannot possibly run at the pace of the slowest runner am I right? People just have to find runners or running groups with people who run at their same pace. That's probably the best bet. I still run a bit slow for the longer distances but for medium distance runs I run with a running group which I didn't join until this year because I spent the last year training to be a little faster so I could be a part of the team. For me to be apart of there team. Not them be a part of mine. Like I said, I'm still a little slower but I can push a bit harder for the medium distance runs and for my half way point in a marathon I did in December I got 1:49 which isn't bad. I'm working on getting better and better so I can run the longer runs with them also. I think it's up to us to get to where we want, not others to put themselves on hold for us. That's how I feel. But a running club that advertises a certain way I might feel differently about that. Anyways good luck to us all. It takes a long time to increase speed but slowly but surely it's worth it to me.
                                Looking over the thread, I don't see that anyone said the faster runners should dump a workout to run with a slower runner.