Running is bad for you!!! I need a good response to that comment! (Read 1302 times)

higa

I seem to have been defending myself as a runner a lot lately. Most of my family and friends are sporty so it's not them, but I seem to have come across a lot of people socially that roll their eyes and say your just asking for trouble and injuries. I need some good one liners to shut them up. Anyone got some good retorts?
    Scout7

Hey, so's that doughnut you're eating, but I'm not telling you about it. DILLIGAF!
        You shouldn't feel the need to defend what you do. If I were you I wouldn't say a thing. That is what I did when my family first found out I was running and they were bombarding me with things like "you're knees are going to be shot in 10 years" blah, blah Roll eyes, blah Roll eyes. They're now over it because they know they won't get anything out of me. You could answer them with "well research says................." but really, they aren't going to care one bit what research says. You could defend yourself until you're blue in the face but it won't change their views BUT silence will shut them up! Smile
        Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
          I don't have any scientific reasons... but.... before I started running I was more than 200lbs... fat... nasty.. and getting more fat every day. I started running and now I'm 164lbs... with a few more pounds to go. I feel better, I look better, and I have a ton more energy. That is enough for me. Jason
          obiebyke

The silence would be even more effective if you raised one eyebrow and looked them slowly up and down. Wink

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Hey, nice marmot!

"Heart attacks are worse." "I see no better means to accomplish my goal of living forever and, so far, so good." "May I inquire as to the extensive running experience you posses which lead you to that conclusion?" "Can you suggest a better way of escaping from the evil monkey who lives in my closet?" "Well, rabbits are good and rabbits run, therefore, running must be good. Q.E.D." "It may be bad, but it's the only way I've found to silence the voices in my head." Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

I seem to have been defending myself as a runner a lot lately. Most of my family and friends are sporty so it's not them, but I seem to have come across a lot of people socially that roll their eyes and say your just asking for trouble and injuries. I need some good one liners to shut them up. Anyone got some good retorts?
                I've always found that 'yo momma' jokes work quite well in this situation. That'll show 'em.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Runner

since this is to a non runner who will not understand no matter what you say... I'd just say... "every morning the lion wakes knowing it has to be faster than the antelope, the antelope wakes knowing it just has to be faster than the slowest antelope..." Then ask them who they are in the equation...

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

Think Whirled Peas

Poke 'em in the eye and take off running. When they can't catch you, tell 'em you're not the fightin' type, so ya gotta be quick!!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I've always found that 'yo momma' jokes work quite well in this situation. That'll show 'em.
                      Yeah, my first thought as a response was: "That's not what your mom said last night."

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Yeah, my first thought as a response was: "That's not what your mom said last night."
                        I can't believe you got there before me. Barring "your mom" jokes, I'd say "Not as bad for you as my foot up your a**."
                        2008 Goals
                      • Run 1250 miles
                      • Get down to 135!
                      • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon
                      • zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My libido was in the toilet...and then I started running more miles...hubba hubba! Evil grin Blush Yes <--horny smilie ;) smilie="" ;)=""></--horny smilie ;) >

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

yeah...and when I am old and gray, I am going to be having a grand time while you are going to be schlepping around an oxygen tank. GET LOST FAT BOY. Or...you could always say: My shrink told me to run so I could refrain from killing people who stick their nose in my business....
                            JakeKnight

My libido was in the toilet...and then I started running more miles...hubba hubba! Evil grin Blush Yes <--horny smilie=""></--horny>
                              And this week's winner in the TMI category for a record breaking 211 weeks in a row is ...
                              Invite them to a race. Seriously. And do it graciously. Let them see for themselves. After seeing countless 60 and 70 and 80 (and even 90) year olds who are slim, active, and completely alive thanks to a devotion to running, I don't pay much attention to such stupidity.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And this week's winner in the TMI category for a record breaking 211 weeks in a row is ...
                                Gotta excel at something...it ain't running... Wink
                                Invite them to a race. Seriously. And do it graciously. Let them see for themselves. After seeing countless 60 and 70 and 80 (and even 90) year olds who are slim, active, and completely alive thanks to a devotion to running, I don't pay much attention to such stupidity.
                                Take them to the encore performance of "Spirit of the Marathon." If that doesn't help them to "get it," nothing will.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay