XC Spikes (Read 544 times)

sheil2009

21:00

Does anyone know whether its ok to use xc spikes for road races? I took out all the spikes and put in fillers, but I was short some so i used my track spikes for the remaining holes. Will having 1/8 inch spikes on the road do more harm than good, or should I just wear my training shoes?
    PWL

Has been

I would wear your training shoes. Having spikes, even short 1/8 in ones, will create "hot spots" on your foot when the impact shock from the road comes up through the shoe at the spike points. Plus, most cross country spikes have little to no cushioning or support so you increase your risk of injury by using them on the road, especially if the race is longer than a 5k. Just my thoughts--good luck!

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Burninated Peasant

I agree with PWL - running a road race with spikes would just be asking for some serious blisters. Even the fillers could create problems on a hard enough surface.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Depends a little on the type of shoes. If it's a Nike Waffle Racer or some other shoe with an all-rubber bottom (as opposed to a plastic forefoot plate), it's ok to wear for very short races (5k or less) w/o spikes or fillers. Definitely don't run on the road with the 1/8's or with fillers. That being said, I think PWL is right in saying that your best bet is your training shoes. If you find yourself doing a lot of road racing, consider buying a lightweight trainer or a racing flat.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

for just a fun run road race use your training flats. however, if it is a competitive race and you are on concrete you ought to use racing flats

https://www.instagram.com/tfilarski/

If the furnace is hot...

If your road race is anything longer than a 5k I would not wear XC spikes. Those spikes are not made for road races and you could really mess up your legs. If it is a 5k or shorter and the spikes have rubber bottoms, then it would be fine to wear, although be advised that your ankles are probably going to be sore for a few days after. Also there is no need to put 1/8 in spikes in or fillers, no matter what. Road races are on pavement and unless this is on dirt as well, your shoes will be fine.

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle when the sun comes up you are still an animal in Africa and that kinda sucks.