Sore right hip/groin (Read 269 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

No, it does help.  It's nice to be reminded that even though it does not hurt, that's probably a lot to do with the decrease in running.  I won't increase again (or run at all) until the doc says I can, even though I'm itching to do so.  Luckily it's cold out so I'm stuck at the gym anyway.  So, for now I'll just lift weights (upper body only).

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

Hip Redux

Yeah, same here, almost no pain if I am not running.  (well, after the initial injury and before this recent flare up that was the case at least).   It's why I think some people go MONTHS without a diagnosis, because the pain comes and goes, they may not think much of it at first, PT might help for a while etc. etc.

Did you send your films to Dr. Kelly at HSS by any chance?

ultramarathon/triathlete

Sent my films off to Dr. Kelly today.  I'll post when I hear back from him (they said it would take about a week upon receipt).

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
        Gatorade Endurance Team

Hip Redux

I figured it must be him!  I sent mine last week.  The office received them on Wednesday, so I'll let you know if it really is a week turnaround.  :P

ultramarathon/triathlete

Update:

Still waiting for the doc to set up an appointment but in the meantime, I went a full week with zero pain (and zero running).  I decided I'd keep my commitment to pace for the NYC Half, and see how it went.

It was easy and pain free.  I paced the 1:40 group.  Big group!  I was afraid I'd have pain after a few miles and might not be able to finish. I promised my wife that if I had any pain I'd stop and I fully intended to if that was the case.  I also feared I just might not be able to hold the pace even if my hip felt fine, since I haven't been running at all.  I was supposed to have a co-pacer, but he didn't show up.

BUT, the race turned out to be easy!

1:40 (7:38 pace) felt really comfortable.  My heart rate was low the whole time.  I actually had a hard time keeping from speeding up, my body kept trying to move up to 7 or 7:20 for some reason.  Every time I looked at my garmin I saw I was too fast so each mile I had to adjust down.  Maybe it was the freezing cold and wind, I just wanted to get done and warm!  Or maybe I subconsciously just wanted to finish before my hip started to realize I was running against better judgement.

After the finish, I still felt 100% fine.  Not a sign of pain in the hip.  The big test would be how I felt Monday.  Again, nothing.  And today, still fine.  My quads and calves are a bit sore, I'm undertrained, but my hip was 100% good.

I still plan to see my doc, whenever that happens, and I'm going to continue to not run this week and just lift weights.  Then I'm hoping to start easy biking and to ease back into running, slowly.  I don't have any races booked until the Rev3 Half Iron in June.  If it WAS really just the hip fracture causing the pain, and not the labrum, it "appears" to be on the mend.  I'll take this as a good sign!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

Hip Redux

It sounds like it can take three weeks to hear from Dr Kelly. I haven't heard yet either.

Good news on the HM!

ultramarathon/triathlete

It sounds like it can take three weeks to hear from Dr Kelly. I haven't heard yet either.

Good news on the HM!

No joke!  I just heard back.  I can't get in to see him until MAY!

I told them that wasn't good enough and I needed to at least speak to someone now so I could understand what I can and can not do. They obliged and I spoke with one of the docs (I forget her name and title) and she said I should lay off the running for 6 weeks, but can bike and do the elliptical, stair master (a bit), etc.  I can also continue to weight train, just upper body.

Really, I just wanted to know that I could still bike.  I want to keep training for my Half Iron in June and I really need to focus on the bike strength right now anyway.

Still in zero pain after the half marathon on Sunday.   But now I seem to have early signs of a stomach bug --my daughter seems to have it too :-(

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

Hip Redux

No joke!  I just heard back.  I can't get in to see him until MAY!

Yikes.  Sad