the science of training and the industry of training (Read 312 times)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

So why do people keep reading the same crap advice over and over again and still can't figure out why they aren't running any faster????

While I haven't posted here in awhile, its because I come to these sites when I'm bored after working on the rewriting of the training manuals for both the Marines, and US Army. Before I go to work, I'm usually on the phone with military training leaders ( I don't talk to anyone lower in rank than Colonel unless requested). In fact I'm on a technology advisory panel and have been invited to apply for research training grants they offer.

In the mean time, its still the same problems with answers from the same internet idiots who have no education in running  beyond a magazine subscription. If your education comes from the shoe industry, then teaching anyone to run faster is a pathetic farce.  The sad reality is that while I'm called crazy regularly, I'm still waiting to meet the first person who can prove it.

When you can wrap a Soldier carrying 135lbs with a heart rate monitor and record a decreasing heart rate as you increase incline levels on a treadmill, my training credibility is without question. If you can't do the same, then the pathetic attempts of discrediting me fall on deaf ears.

To run faster, you have to change the way you run, Given nobody wants to improve their biomechanic skills, then why do you think you'll prevent your injuries and run quicker?   And I'm still waiting to meet the first person with an IQ high enough to figure that reality out...

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Oh, yeah!  Here we go!

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

So why do people keep reading the same crap advice over and over again and still can't figure out why they aren't running any faster????

Maybe I'm slower because I'm 71 now and not 25.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Then why waste your time racing???

Why not just run and quit wasting the money to participate???

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Do you know how fast an ostrich can run when it is 71? I mean in ostrich years?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

rlopez

Love.

Exciting and new!
              Come aboard...

We're expecting YOU

The Love Boat

Soon will be making another run

The Love Boat

Promises something for everyone

It always kind of pissed me off because it is a ship and not a boat.

mikeymike

It always kind of pissed me off because it is a ship and not a boat.

Right?

Also when I was going through my rookie hazing ritual for my college rugby team we were made to stand on a chair and sing a song on the spot and that was the song I chose. It just came to me and I've never understood why.

Runners run

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Oh wait, an internet idiot with a pathetic midlife crisis and graciously willing to prove my point, tries to be cute.....

I've trained professional football players, have a client drafted by an NBA team, and even gave a collegiate football team a 7-4 season after going 2-9 in the prior year. Oh and the coach was nominated for coach of the year honors. Oh, and they  went 3-8 the next year without my help.

It doesn't matter how old an ostrich is. Because the last time anyone taught an athlete how to run like an ostrich, every runner he coached set a world record...

What have you ever accomplished with anything, let alone anyone?

I ran like an ostrich once...just once. It was the most goddamn beautiful 37 seconds of my life. I won’t tell you where it happened, or even why. But somewhere between the Korner Pub in Mooresville NC and the Mecklenburg Co. correctional facility I found the bird within, and flew with the reckless abandon of a newly hatched man-stritch, bobbing and weaving, clucking and jiving. It was a course set for ADVENTURE. A goddamn new romance.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                    Altair5

Runs in the rain

sport jester, most of us runners are trying to run faster and improve our forms. That might involve reading books on running, watching elite runners run and mostly learning by experience. You may be justified in saying 90% of that is crap, but 90% of everything is crap (Sturgeon's law!) I would suggest that if instead of scathing criticism of our methods you could share a few crumbs of your superior wisdom. If we try it and it works you will gain our unflagging gratitude and respect, no matter what an arrogant ass you come across as.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                      Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Joann Y

Prince of Fatness

Oh wait, an internet idiot with a pathetic midlife crisis and graciously willing to prove my point, tries to be cute.....

Not at it at all. 

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Sport jester i really feel sorry for you.

You seem to be putting a lot of time and effort into being a troll

You aren't doing a bad job but it is really sad way to live.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Then why waste your time racing???

Why not just run and quit wasting the money to participate???

Has it occurred to you that racing may be fun? And since age groups were instigated, awards are available to everyone who wants to train hard enough to beat their peers.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

What have you ever accomplished with anything, let alone anyone?

I'm still trying figure out if this is a reference to me. Since I'm not an internet idiot nor having a midlife crisis it would not seem so, except you also tack on that reference about graciously willing to prove your point. I appear to be the only one who fits that description, except my comment demonstrates that at least one of us has figured out why they aren't running any faster, therefore it does not prove your point.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K