What's your "ideal" finsh chute arrangement? (Read 807 times)

rlemert

Last weekend I volunteered at our local marathon - passing out finisher's medals for the most part. Being a runner myself I was able to tell the other volunteers some do's (hold out the medals so you can put them around the runner's neck if they want, or they can just take them from you if they prefer to do that) and don'ts (don't make the runners stop unnecessarily - they need to keep moving to cool down effectively). However, I know different runners have different preferences, so I'm wondering what everyone here likes in the finish-line environment. What layout works best for you (chip removal first, then medals, then blankets/water, or something else? distance to post-race food? "early exits" from the finish chute?)? What do you expect/desire from the volunteers (greetings and/or congratulations vs staying quiet? medals draped vs. handed over?)? Family/friend access to finish line vs. separated meet-up area? Other ideas?

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Good for you for volunteering. I like volunteering too, and it reminds me I have not done it in awhile. I'm not picky about the cute arrangement. In a couple of races I had to put my foot up on a chair and balance on one foot while having my chip removed. I didn't so much like that. I much prefer rediculously handsome, well-built men on their knees in front of me clipping off my timing chips and telling me what I great job I did. Evil grin
      Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
      mikeymike

Beer? I dunno. I'm pretty low maintenance after a race. Whatever works for the volunteers is usually good with me. Just don't get too in my face and I'm good.

Runners run

rlemert

I much prefer rediculously handsome, well-built men on their knees in front of me clipping off my timing chips and telling me what I great job I did. Evil grin
          That would have been me if I'd been doing chip removal. Yes (Of course my DW will argue the "handsome" and "well-built" parts of that ... and, with some justification, I'm afraid Angry )
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Beer? I dunno. I'm pretty low maintenance after a race. Whatever works for the volunteers is usually good with me. Just don't get too in my face and I'm good.
            Yeah...that's about right. I will say that I like Milwaukee's finish area SO much more than Grand Rapids. GR is crowded, ugly, a parking lot...tough to find family if one is a runner and tough to find runners if one is family or a friend. Milwaukee is a BIG, flat, grassy area right on Lake MI. Definitely had a festival atmosphere...and awesome, HUGE cups of micro-brewed beer. I don't even remember anyone removing my chip, so apparently they did so without being noticeable--guess that's a positive. They also had bleachers at the finish-line, so spectators could get a good view. The Grand Rapids Riverbank Run 25k is a nice race, but finishes right in the middle of cramped downtown, so runners usually have a bit of a hike back to cars and it's a bitch to find people afterwards. I never was able to meet up with Rick Velich thanks to that mess. Cry Plus their beer tent is nasty ass Michelob Ultra...I think carbonated urine would probably taste better.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Either have water and food nearby or tell me where to find them -- or both Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Half Fanatic #846

Racing to the finish line at the Snicker's HM this spring in Albany, GA I heard my name called over the PA system and there was some really awesome music playing too. After the finish line, the finisher's medal was placed around my neck, the chip cut from my shoe, a mylar blanket put around me - and the nearby medical tent, food tent, and beer tent were pointed out to me. I was also asked if I was okay. Pretty good TLC.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

obsessor

fresh tape or wire.
                  AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Imminent Catastrophe

I hate being screamed at: "Keep moving, don't stop, keep moving in the chutes, keep moving"...over the PA. I know they have to keep the line moving but please, I just ran a long way, stop yelling at me!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Roses Revenge

I really liked the finish line buddies at the North Olympic Marathon. When I crossed the line, the buddy met me, put the medal over my head, handed me an opened bottle of juice, asked me if I needed anything, walked me to get the chip removed, checked to see if I had a bag to pick up, took me to the cookie stand and generally just stayed with me for about ten minutes before letting me leave the finish area and even then made sure I knew where the food was. Then he went back to pick up the next runner coming through. Now I realize this isn't reasonable for most races but when I compare it to the one before that it was amazing. The one before that I crossed the line, was given a medal and a bottle of water that had been sitting in the sun and was then ignored. I had to find my own way to get the chip removed and there was no food left.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

Best Present Ever

I hate being screamed at: "Keep moving, don't stop, keep moving in the chutes, keep moving"...over the PA. I know they have to keep the line moving but please, I just ran a long way, stop yelling at me!
                          I second this. I'm a good finish-chute citizen and keep moving, and appreciate that some folks need a nudge to do so, but really, STOP YELLING at me. It nearly makes me want to cry. The guy who owns our local running store is really great and is responsible for the wonderful running community here, but he has a habit of clapping folks on the back in the finish chute and knocking them forward forcefully to keep things moving. It hurts! So, no yelling, no hitting. Kindergarten rules work well.
                            I like the numbers above the chute to be very small. Smaller the better. Smile I had a complaint about our local 5K and they actually fixed it last year. (7K people) Worked pretty well. They just made a really large area for finishers and made you walk to get your medal and chip before exiting the area and it gave you plenty of room to walk around for a minute. Previously they had chip people within 15 feet of the finish and people were stopping before the mat when there are people trying to come in at a 6 minute pace.
                            Run like you stole something.