Hi everyone...newbie here (Read 1058 times)

Now that was a bath...

Just wanted to post an introduction as I have been lurking on your forum, trying to get some tips. I recently decided to run the Auckland Marathon next October and I am trying to gather as much information and knowledge as possible between now & then. I am running in my first race (a quarter marathon) in January, the 'Wharf2Wharf' - Waiheke Island Fun Run, here in New Zealand. I am only going to do the 12k race is it is a particularly difficult and hilly course and I am a complete novice to racing. I am 35, a mother of four and a passionate runner. I run every day at the moment (get up to run at 5am befoe the kids get up) and have a ten week schedule to the first race which starts this week. I am looking at doing a second quarter marathon in March, followed by a half marathon in July - which should incorporate into my Marathon training. I have a few questions for you all! *What shoes are you running in? *Women - have you had any issues training alone? *What sort of distances will I be running when I will need to take fluids with me on the run? (currently I only run 5-8km a day and I manage by drinking before and after the run) *Any tips? I look forward to learning from you all! Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Claire, and welcome! There are lots of different opinions out there... here's my $.02... Shoes - everyone's feet are different, so taking shoe recommendations over the internet is risky at best. I overpronate, and keep to stability shoes and sometimes trail shoes. My favorite brand name is Saucony, but I have trouble finding them big enough for my feet. Blush Female issues - you may want to join our women's only Ladies Locker Room at http://www.runningahead.com/groups/girls_only... just email Kirsten for the password (her email's on the home page). She's out of town at the moment, but should be back soon. Warning: it does stray over into the TMI area at times... Fluids - probably depends on the temperature and actual amount of time you're out running. If I'm going to be out more than an hour, I try to always bring some with me. Less than that I usually don't bother, unless it's hot out. Tips - well... kinda hard to say just with the info you've provided. How long have you been running? Are you taking any rest days? Are you following any particular plan for your training? Do you have a specific time you want to make in these races or do you just want to finish? Do you have any injuries? The list goes on and on... Tossing the ball back to you... Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

Now that was a bath...

Grrrrr, just lost my really lengthy reply by viewing your running log Janell! I'll start again... Thanks for you quick respnse! As for the shoes - i do intend to have a professional assessment before buying, but i'd really like to get some ideas from others about what they are finding works for them first. With a family of six to feed I would like to avoid expensive mistakes. I am a complete virgin to long distance running so I don't have much of a clue where to start! I've been running for five years off and on. I have had two children in the last five years, hence the off periods, but even when I am not running I walk about 8km a day so my general fitness is quite good. I intend to use this schedule for the Marathon training http://www.marathontraining.com/marathon/m_mile.html and I am using the Auckland Marathon's training schedules for the quarter and half marathon (although I don't like that they use times and paces rather than distances). I had two rest days last week and there are rest days in those schedules - but I do have to admit that in the early part of the Quarter Marathon training (I am only on day 2) I have dropped the rest days from two down to one. This is because I am used to running daily and I am really enjoying it! I have retained the rest day before the long run at the weekend and I have re-introduced a second rest day per week from week 7 of a 10 week schedule (didn't want to burn out before the race). I don't have any injuries and I am in good health. I am 5ft 10 and weigh 140lbs. I was only saying to my husband yesterday that I won't be happy just finishing the Marathon - I want to do it in a reasonable time. Of course at this point I have no idea at all what a reasonable time is! I am also aware that I might not cope well with long distance running and so I may indeed change my mind about finishing as fast as I can! What time would you expect a motivated novice to finish a marathon in? I don't even have an idea of a ballpark figure for that! The Ladies Locker Room sounds great. I'll email when I get the chance. Claire xxx
        Wingz

Professional Noob

Grrrrr, just lost my really lengthy reply by viewing your running log Janell!
          LOL! I've done this more than once! It helps if you just open a new page/tab/window and browse over to the log/profile you're looking for over there... Big grin
          As for the shoes - i do intend to have a professional assessment before buying, but i'd really like to get some ideas from others about what they are finding works for them first. With a family of six to feed I would like to avoid expensive mistakes. I am a complete virgin to long distance running so I don't have much of a clue where to start!
          This comes up pretty often. (/opening new tab to browse over through the forums/) Here's the most recent shoe thread: http://www.runningahead.com/frm_topic.aspx?id=0d8d0009ce6541cb826626fd3a2fdeb4
          I've been running for five years off and on. I have had two children in the last five years, hence the off periods, but even when I am not running I walk about 8km a day so my general fitness is quite good. I intend to use this schedule for the Marathon training http://www.marathontraining.com/marathon/m_mile.html
          From the bit that I've seen of it, looks pretty good. Smile There are a lot of marathoners here on the forums. I'm not one of them, though I've got my mental eye on trying to do one next year...
          and I am using the Auckland Marathon's training schedules for the quarter and half marathon (although I don't like that they use times and paces rather than distances). I had two rest days last week and there are rest days in those schedules - but I do have to admit that in the early part of the Quarter Marathon training (I am only on day 2) I have dropped the rest days from two down to one. This is because I am used to running daily and I am really enjoying it! I have retained the rest day before the long run at the weekend and I have re-introduced a second rest day per week from week 7 of a 10 week schedule (didn't want to burn out before the race).
          Nah, don't want to do that! You might want to consider taking it back down to 5 days of running even now and just throwing in a day of cross-training to give your body and your mind a break!
          I don't have any injuries and I am in good health. I am 5ft 10 and weigh 140lbs.
          Okay, now I'm jealous. Wink
          I was only saying to my husband yesterday that I won't be happy just finishing the Marathon - I want to do it in a reasonable time. Of course at this point I have no idea at all what a reasonable time is! I am also aware that I might not cope well with long distance running and so I may indeed change my mind about finishing as fast as I can! What time would you expect a motivated novice to finish a marathon in? I don't even have an idea of a ballpark figure for that!
          Again, not a marathoner, but what I've heard is that the "average" time for a marathon is about 4 hours... It'll be easier to get a goal time once you do your first race. Take the time you get and plug it into one of those nifty running calculators like http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm and it'll give you an estimate of what you should be capable of with proper training.
          The Ladies Locker Room sounds great. I'll email when I get the chance.
          See you there!

I am not as experienced as most people on the forum here but here is what I do. I train alone as I find it very hard to find a running partner who would have as crazy schedule as I do. It has not been much of a problem for me though I realize that having a running partner would help with motivation. I've been running more and more in Nike Free shoes. They are very light weight, very flexible and help your feet become stronger. Many people feel they don't ofer enough support but I think I will stick with them. As for hydration, let your thirst be your guide. On shorter runs hydration is not much of an issue. On long distance runs the common advice was to drink a lot of water but now people are realizing that this could be dangerous. As you sweat you loose electrolites and drinking only water dilutes your depleted reserves and can that can even lead to death. The answer is to make sure that as you drink during and after long runs you replace your electrolites also. For your Wharf2Wharf race I would advise lots of trail running. Easier on your feet and knees than asphalt and you will get your hill workout done too. Good luck. BTW, we've been to Auckland last July. Loved it! Actually I love New Zealand and hope to visit again, this time for longer.
            I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
              It's too early for me to think straight. I forgot to add. Once you decide on what shoes you want you may want to check online prices. I am getting my Nikes for less than half the store price.
              I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
              Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Welcome to this place, Claire! Big grin There are quite a number of marathoners and a couple of ultramarathoners on this site and they can provide you with the information that you need. I'll try to answer your questions and hope that they'll jump in as well. Shoes: Janell's right. It's a very individual thing. Since you've been running for a while now and don't have any aches and pains, maybe you've found the right shoes already. What do you have now? If you need a new pair of shoes, then the best place to go is a local running store, where they can analyze your gait and recommend something. How well they fit depends on the person recommending them. However, most running stores, at least here in the US, will take them back if you don't like them. I'll skip the women question because according to Kirsten, I don't have the right stuff to answer it. Fluids. I tend to carry a water belt when I go running, regardless of the distance. I'm used to the weight now and it's quite convenient. I'm also the type that sweats a lot so I need to drink more than the average runner. I don't really have to drink anything for distances less than 10k, but it's nice to be able to drink whenever. It's ok to run 6 days in a row during marathon training. I do it myself at the peak. You'll learn to listen to your body after a while. You know when you need an extra day's rest. There are different philosophies regarding the rest day. Some believe that you should go for a recovery run the day after the long run. I always take the day after the long run off because (IMHO) you have the greatest chance of injury when your body's tired. In your training schedule, you should fit a couple of races in along the way, with increasing distances. They are great short term motivators. Instead of constantly working toward the marathon, you can then train for the next race. You can use them to assess your progress as well as dress rehearsals for the real thing. Best of all, they can help you predict how fast you can run your marathon. I do tell my friends running their first marathons to not have any time goals and to just enjoy it. Anyway, sorry about the scattered thoughts. It's kinda early and I'm still half awake...
                JakeKnight

Hiya, newbie. Welcome. Cool A couple thoughts: 1) I think that's a great program you're following: great mileage building portion, great long run emphasis in the actual marathon training. Now here's some advice: if you're going to follow a program - do what it tells you! If it tells you take a day off - take a day off. Trust me that I understand that need to work out every day; sweating is addictive. But those programs are designed the way they are for a reason. Running on your scheduled off days, especially training for your first marathon, is far, far more likely to lead to injury or burnout than it is to any significant gains. If you have to workout - do some cross-training. I personally think that cross-training is critical for marathon distance running anyway, because you'll discover that after 20 miles, other parts of your body can become pretty important. Strong abs, a strong core, even strong arms and shoulders will help in that last 6 miles. You know what part of me hurt worst at mile 24 last time around? My shoulders. Lifting, yoga, a rowing machine ... all good. I'd suggest staying away from using your legs, but if you just have to - make it no/low impact. As in an elliptical machine, or running in a pool. 2) I'd *strongly* suggest you NOT shoot for a time goal with your first marathon. The training will be easier and more fun, you'll avoid burnout, and most importantly - you'll have more fun on race day. Focusing too much on finishing time is a recipe for going out too fast and either crashing hard at 18-20, or just having a miserable run and swearing never to do it again. For what it's worth, my marathon personal best was ALSO the only one I ran in which I paid NO attention to time, and just listened to my body and ran comfortably. My marathon WORST was the only one in which I had one of those dorky pace charts on my wrist, and focused on hitting each split. It was a great half - and a horrible marathon. There will be plenty of time for setting time goals later. Besides, you really won't know what those last few miles of a marathon are like until you do it. It's ... well, it's different. So pace charts can be a little misleading. Or a lot. But the worst part of all about worrying about your time is that it can ruin the experience. Your first marathon should be a life experence first, a race second, in my opinion. If you have a blast, it'll change your life and you'll come back over and over. Just my 2 cents. You're almost sure to ignore the above advice, by the way. Especially the part about not shooting for a time goal. It's great advice - and no one listens to it. I ignored it, too. Wink But maybe someday you'll be repeating it ... and somebody else'll be ignoring it. Oh, well. For what it's worth, I'm giving no thought at all to pace in my marathon this weekend. Zero. Will I run it fast? Well, I dunno. Probably not, if the monstrous hills and flying monkeys have their way. But I guarantee I'll have a good time. UNLIKE my last effort. Ugh. A final suggestion: since you will almost surely ignore the above wise advice - at least set a reasonable time goal. The "average" marathon last year was 4:41; for women runners, it was actually 5:01. http://www.marathonguide.com/features/Articles/2005RecapOverview.cfm I can't see your log and have no idea how fast you are - but if I'd guess that aiming to beat 5 hours would be a good goal for your first marathon, if you insist on a time goal. It's a nice round number. You'd be better than average. You've given yourself a whole year to do it. And if you run faster, you'll be happily surprised. But whatever you do, just don't set an unreasonable goal and end up disappointed. That's no fun at all! At any pace, a marathon is an acheivement, and should be celebrated! Yes Good luck!

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Wingz

Professional Noob

2) I'd *strongly* suggest you NOT shoot for a time goal with your first marathon. < snip="" /> But the worst part of all about worrying about your time is that it can ruin the experience. Your first marathon should be a life experence first, a race second, in my opinion. If you have a blast, it'll change your life and you'll come back over and over.
                    Nicely put, Jake.

Again, not a marathoner, but what I've heard is that the "average" time for a marathon is about 4 hours...
                      In 2005, there were 382,000 marathon finishers in the U.S. The average time for a male was 4:32:08, female was 5:06:08. For all finishers - 4:45:47. The average finishing time for a female, age 35-39, was 4:55:37. For more detailed info: http://www.marathonguide.com/features/Articles/2005RecapOverview.cfm
                      My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                      Wingz

Professional Noob

Thanks Jake and Don for setting me straight. Cool Makes my futre-dream of a 6 hour marathon seem a lot more normal...

bas

Hi Claire, If you can get up to run at 5am before your kids wake up, you will run your marathon. I'm impressed! bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

Now that was a bath...

SKbunny - Thanks for the info. I'd love to do some trail running but (and here's the kicker) I don't drive. This means that I am only left with the option of running my immediate terrain - which is a mix of flat and hilly suburban pavements (do you call them that in the states, i'm not sure?). I am fortunate that I have a grass running track about a five minute run from my house so I can use that too. I'm glad that you liked NZ. I'm actually a British lady married to a NZ man. We emigrated here two years ago and I love it! Like you, I don't like the concept of running with others. I have my own pace and it's important to me that I don't break that and that I listen to MY body not someone elses. I have actually dropped my pace quite a lot in preparation for the training that I will need to do. I can very comfortably jog for an hour without stopping and can run reasonably fast for about 30 minutes without issue. I haven't yet pushed myself beyond those boundaries but I am one determined lady! Thanks for the tip about buying online too - i'll check that out. Mile Collector - I think i'll get a water belt this weekend. It's coming into summer here and with the sub-tropical climate it can get really warm & sticky. Auckland has particularly high humidity so I predict needing plenty of fluids on long runs. I've been quite panicked about whether I am pushing myself too far by doing the six day training thing, so it's nice to hear from someone that it's worked for. Taking on board everything that everyone has said though - I think I will run my six day week for my first two races (12k in January and 10k in March) and then in July when I begin the Marathon training schedule I will stick to what it says and have the two rest days from running with some cross training. Jake Knght - is this the point where I say 'Woot'? Just kidding Big grin I hear ya - I promise to introduce my second rest day as soon as I start on the Marathon schedule. I have one of those dangerously addictive personalities and I do need to ground myself and not push myself too far. I walk at least 8km a day on top of my running whilst pushing a two seater tank of a baby stroller, a one year old, a three year old, all the school bags and lot's of shopping. It's a pretty good upper arm workout i'm telling you! I really need to learn to drive quickly! I'm going to look at swimming as my cross training activity as the swimming pools are free here in Auckland. I get you on the shoulder thing too. I've never completed a Marathon but I can get a pretty stiff neck even on short runs. I probably need to work on that. Maybe I can ask for some weights for my birthday in March. I reckon if I can do the big race in five hours i'll be a happy bunny. I guess at this point it is very difficult to evaluate whether or not I have it in me! How do I put my log up? I don't mind sharing if I know how. Although my paces are pretty unhelpful until yesterday when I accurately worked out the distances and started properly timing (rather than guessing) my running times. Bas - have you ever seen American Beauty. The scene at the begining where he is masturbating in the shower and the narrator says 'That's me. That's the highlight of my day. It's all down hill from there.' - that's how I feel about my running, in a totally non sexual sense of course! Trust me to make a great first impression by picking a sexual analagy. But seriously, I love to run. I even love the bite of the cold on a winter morning and the burn in my lungs when I push myself. I am such a busy lady. I am raising four kids, I co-manage a Pre-school, I host two web forums, I am writing a book, I am learning to drive, I am going to college in the evenings to study childhood development, I am a cleanaholic and I get very little sleep. But I still love to run. That's my 'Me Time' right there. I jump straight out of bed, get dressed in five minutes, stretch whilst cleaning my teeth, put on my MP3 player and I run into a zone where my responsibilities are temporarily paralyzed. No one can get a piece of me. For the next hour it's all about me. A mother of four can't say that very often! I've also booked an appointment with my doctor for tomorrow morning to get a pre-training (ok during training) check up. I have a blood condition (Chronic Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura) which in simplified terms means that I bruise a little more easily than most and sometimes I have blood clotting issues. I want to check with her that a Marathon isn't outside safe boundaries for a woman with ITP. On the whole my blood platelet count is excellent and I am mostly asymptomatic from the condition. My gut feeling is that it won't be a problem as long as I have the occasional check up with a hemotologist during training and my blood platelet count is good near to the race. Heck, if I can give birth to an 11lb baby on my living room floor safely (and without pain relief) I think that I can run a marathon. Claire xxx

You'll ruin your knees!

Heck, if I can give birth to an 11lb baby on my living room floor safely (and without pain relief) I think that I can run a marathon.
                              I'll go out on a limb here and say...if you can do that, you can run a hundred miler! Welcome, kookylurker! I like your style... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Sounds like you've gotten some great advice! I totally understand your love of running!! My answers to your ?'s are I wear asics. Best bet for you is to get fitted at a running specialty store. Definetly have no issue's training alone. Only way I can get out and run lol since dh has to stay with the kids. Before running my first marathon I'd bring water with me for any run that was longer than 10k ( if it was hot) Have fun and HAPPY TRAINING!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson