Rookie Move (Read 218 times)

yomonk1

Just caved to peer pressure and made a serious rookie mistake. My wife was going to run the Maine Half with a friend from work and I just found out her friend's husband had planned to run too, so I didn't want to be the lone lazy butt left standing, I signed up as well.

I have only been running (jogging slowly) for about three months, with any kind of distance. My previous longest was about 5 miles (under protest from my body) The race is in 10 days.

I have no delusions or misconceptions that I could possibly run the whole half, I do plan on jogging a mile, walking a half mile and repeat to completion. What do you think of this plan? Also, what should I do to help improve my chance to not collapsing in the next 10 days? My pace is about a 12 minute mile. And lastly, what should I do for nourishment?

I know these are broad strokes and I'm not giving you a lot to work with, but I just need some basic support and I will accept my idiot lumps from anyone that care to shoot em. Worst case scenario, I walk the last several miles.....  Thanks for any advice.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

When I first became a runner I was up to like 5 mile runs after 2 months, Someone suggested I do a half marathon. I said I was not ready and they said I could just walk if I could not run the full distance. Now I had a whole month to train, not just 10 days.  I worked to run further distance in my training. I was able, with difficulty, to jog the whole 13.1 mile distance during the race. My legs were shaking with fatigue at the end. Now with only 10 days to go you can not do much to improve. Perhaps try some longer distances this week or try doing two runs in a day, such as in the morning and then evening, to simulate a long run. It would be good if you could get up to like 8 miles or so. You can also try fast walks or riding the bike as cross training on some days for a change. You will have to taper off before the race, which means cutting back effort and do just a few easy runs to give your legs the chance to recover before the race. Usually you would want at least a full week to do this before a half, but maybe 5 days might be enough. The day or two before the race do no running, or just jog very short distances at slow speed. Eat healthy, lose a few pounds if you can. Hydrate! During the race run slowly, the goal is to finish not to set speed records! Drink water at the water stops. Walk when you have to, but try for a little run at the end so you look good crossing the finish line!

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
      Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Not to worry.  You have a good grasp of your fitness and a good plan.  Don't be surprised if race day adrenaline allows you to run (jog) the entire distance.  If so, be advised that you will be really stiff and sore the next day.

Your training is finished.  Attempting to crash train at the last minute will only wear you out, and will not increase your fitness.  You can try some energy drink on the course.  If your stomach starts to complain, even a little bit, stick to water.  On a cool day, most people can run a half marathon with no drinking.

I know a guy who ran a half marathon with no training at all.  He claimed that every muscle in his body was cramping after he finished.  But he finished.  And his wife still beat him.

an amazing likeness

If you’re reasonably fit you’ll be fine with your approach of ‘jog some, walk some’. You will finish and be none the worse other than sore for a few days.

Overall, it’s an gentle course with generous time limits, plenty of walkers and good on-course support every 2-3 miles. No need to worry about nutrition -- your body should have plenty of calories on board to cover 13 miles from normal eating, and there's water and sports drink along the way. Just don’t start out dehydrated (or hungover or whatever).

If you try to cram for the exam, and do a bunch of extra running between now and race day in 9 days, you’ll just tear your body down and be weaker at the start. Show up fresh and under trained rather than tired, beat up, and with a few more miles of running logged.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Yep. What Milktruck said. I'll also offer this. You'll get to a point late in the race where you can see the finish line across Back Cove, and it's easy to think you're almost done. You aren't. You can see the finish for a lonnnng time before you get there, so be ready for that.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

yomonk1

You'll get to a point late in the race where you can see the finish line across Back Cove, and it's easy to think you're almost done. You aren't. You can see the finish for a lonnnng time before you get there, so be ready for that.

Oh boy...Thanks. Can't wait for that....;-)  

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I'm gonna give it a whirl. No time to back out now. If you see an old fat guy in the fetal position on the side of the course, don't kick me too hard. Bring Beer!!  Seriously, thanks.

an amazing likeness

Hint...use the path along Back Cove instead of being out in the road on Baxter Blvd -- fighting the heavy camber on Baxter is saps energy and really forces you to get out in the middle of the road...adding distance.  The path is in bounds and legit.

an amazing likeness

How'd it go today?

GinnyinPA

Rather than do "run a mile walk a half mile" you might do better with shorter intervals.  Try running 3 minutes, walk a minute, run 3 minutes, walk a minute. Or 5/1 or 5/2.

yomonk1

How'd it go today?

Thanks so much to everyone for the advice and encouragement. I made it!!!!! Only really walked the water stops (briefly) and one of the hills (again, briefly) . Finished in 2:41:55, which I thought was pretty daggone good for me. About 50 minutes faster than what I was anticipating. Looking forward to the next one!    Results