New course surface/terrain category? (Read 663 times)

Needs more cowbell!

Hey, Eric...any way we can have a category for snow/slush/ice? About half of my 7+ miles today were not on dry, clean pavement, but weren't exactly "trail," either. Man, I think I got an extra good workout using different muscles as I tried to keep from falling (had a few close calls, too...sometimes my "running" was more in the form of mincing and sliding). Thanks, k

Kirsten - aka "Auntie Kirsten"

'14 Goals:

• 2 olympic distance duathlons -- 6 days apart -- PR at least 1

• 130#s (and stay there, gotdammit!)

vicentefrijole

That's an excellent idea.. we've got the snow/sluch/ice here in Chicago also... perhaps it should be called "loose terrain" or something so it can include running on sand (also quite difficult)? Or maybe that's too much...

Needs more cowbell!

Yeah, but sand is not nearly as trecherous/slippery, though it is hard as hell...I think it deserves its own category. I live just a couple of miles from some beautiful sandy beaches, but I don't plan to ever run on them--ow! I hear you guys really got walloped yesterday. My brother lives about an hour NW of the city and got a foot. I think we ended up with 6-8" of very heavy, slippery/wet stuff. k

'14 Goals:

Maybe a new set of categories is what's needed here to describe road conditions because it is not a permanent thing. I'll see what I can do while working on reporting. Should it be a set of checkboxes or free text?

Needs more cowbell!

Should it be a set of checkboxes or free text?
            I think either would be fun. A category of "Midwest Winter Crap" would also probably be a perfect descriptor... Wink k

'14 Goals:

I make a note in the comments section of the run when it is slippery. Though I am far enough into the bible belt that it happens very rarely! A couple ideas: 1) Work around the problem! Add a "Midwestern Madness" run to your types of runs. Just like intervals and fartleks are different from long runs, so is a sludge run! Big grin 2) Ask Eric to add an option to add your own terrain, just like you can add your own types of runs or cross-training activities. Cool