Barefoot brothers take 1st and 2nd at Duke City Marathon (Read 816 times)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

These guys are awesome. 2:40:23 and 2:47:10, barefoot.
    Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
    JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

These guys are awesome. 2:40:23 and 2:47:10, barefoot.
      Can someone remind me again why running without shoes is a “Good thing”? I understand running in different ways for a challenge. I could definitely run faster without the double but it is just more fun. However, I just can not see how running without shoes makes you faster or is healthy. Sure we are not born with shoes but we are also not built to run 26.2, especially not without cushion and support for our feet and knees. In my case I actually run with the stroller because it is much less stressful on me because I support some of my weight on the stroller. It really reduces the impact of the pounding. I couldn’t imagine running long distances without shoes. OUCH! In my last marathon a 12 year old ran barefoot the whole way. Everyone was saying wow that is great that he ran so fast without shoes! I was saying “Wow, I can’t believe this kid’s father let/made him run like that”. That can not be a good thing for a youngster.

Why is it sideways?

JDF, you should read Ed4's Baystate Marathon report.

#artbydmcbride

I've probably just seen too many National Geographical and History channel specials, but I've gotten the impression that man has run barefoot for millions of years.

Runners run

C-R

+1 Great story. Then there was Bikila so many years past at the Olympics with a Gold medal in the marathon. Not sure barefoot is for me, but it seems to work for other. I run in minimal shoes and have found my lower legs and feet stronger for it. One day it might be fun to try Vibrams. BTW - not sure why a 12 year old is running a marathon with or without shoes. A bit young for that IMO.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Think Whirled Peas

Two words: Zola Budd.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

I've probably just seen too many National Geographical and History channel specials, but I've gotten the impression that man has run barefoot for millions of years.
                But not on asphalt. Attention getter. "Look at me. I ran barefooted!". You proly would have run faster in some minimal flats. My 2¢.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Why is it sideways?

The Romeros are graduate students at Cal Tech in Pasadena, Calif., as is an older brother, Phillip.
                  What a bunch of hippie underachievers.
                  C-R

What a bunch of hippie underachievers.
                    Hippies in New Mexico?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mishka-old log

I wanna see their feet.
                      xor

perv

running yogi

wow barefoot ! Imagine what they would do with shoes on ... Tongue

Why is it sideways?

I wanna see their feet.
                            Whatever you do, don't google "ugly feet." I bet this isn't one of them:
                            Mishka-old log

Whatever you do, don't google "ugly feet."
                              Oops.
                              kcam

I'll definitely be trying the vibrams fairly soon (Ed's report cemented the deal for me). I may not run any more than test runs but I'll give em a go. Doing what these two guys did? ummm, we'll see.