Sunburst vs Bayshore Marathon (Read 53 times)

Bruno

Good Morning All,

I'm kind of a lurker/occasional poster.  I'm leaning towards getting back into marathoning with a late spring/early summer marathon.  I have run Bayshore once, but it was almost 5 years ago.  I have never run Sunburst.  I am looking for any feedback any of you may have about either race.  I'm leaning toward Sunburst right now because they have a "Black Friday" registration deal for $70.  For those of you who have done either, could you please reply with your opinion/thoughts on the race you ran?  For those of you who may have done both, could you please respond with which race you prefer and why?

THANKS!

C-R

Not run Bayshore but it's on my to do list.

Sunburst is a nice small marathon. If you like quiet runs, this one is it. It's reasonably supported and follows along the St. Joe river and associated parks. More of a rolling hills type course. Nothing really big. Finishing at ND was a treat. Only issue with Sunburst is the weather. It can be hot. I've run it in 85 and that's a chore.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

As C-R indicated, the risk with Sunburst is the weather.

Bayshore is a very nice race.  Very flat and fast, and the risk with the weather is way lower.  The problem with it is that it is Memorial Day weekend in a tourist town with limited hotels.  If you are going to do it, decide NOW and book your hotel.  Expect to pay more than you would expect to.  The only negative thing I can say about the race itself is that the HM runners start at the HM point...so if you are fast enough to catch them as a full marathoner it's problematic on the narrow road.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I did Sunburst in 2010 when I was at Notre Dame for reunion weekend.  Nice enough run but I didn't love the heat/humidity and a lot of it was on cement pathways.  But if the run had been on Sunday instead of Saturday, temps would have been 10 degrees cooler after a thunderstorm moved through Saturday night and cleared out the humidity.  So yeah, weather is kind of a wildcard.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR