Anyone Do Yoga? (Read 1578 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm getting back into running and have been eyeing a 5K in September. I have been running three days a week and doing yoga on my other days. I love the flexibility and strength in yoga. Anyone else do yoga? Does it help you at all with running?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I am not sure if you would call what I do yoga. It does help reduce my back pain. Smile

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

The Greatest of All Time

Anyone else do yoga? Does it help you at all with running?
        I have done yoga/pilates in the past and experienced the increase in flexibility and core strength. I can't give you race times to prove it helped me but I am sure it did. I wish I still had time to do it these days, although I still do regular core work. Also, the older you are I think the more benefit you will get from it. But it's not bad for anyone at any adult age IMO. It's good stuff and hard as hell at first. There is a lot of endless debate on the issues of running/stretching/flexibility and no one has the end all be all answer. It's person specific, end of story. Put it this way, outside of you seriously pulling a muscle or tendon/ligament while doing yoga, I don't see it hurting your running. Although I am sure it's happened, I have yet to hear anyone complain of a yoga injury.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        Gig

I just started a yoga class. It's once a week. I'm trying to take it easy in class because in the past, I'd be sore for days afterward. It's a completely different set of muscles that I dypically don't use otherwise. Taking it easy in class is working for me, though.
            Yoga has definitely improved my running and overall health.
              I have done yoga for a year now. Year ago I started to get some nasty lower back pains and my legs got numb at nights. I was stiff, really stiff. Well, 27 years of running can do that to your body. I cannot go to yoga classes, because they are way too far for my liking, so I bought Tony Sanchez Yoga Challenge DVD set. My back pain and numbness of legs were gone after a month of yoga. Nowadays I try to do 3-4 times yoga per week. I dare to say that yoga does not hinder your running, but running do hinder your yoga. It is so easy to get stiff back again. I do recommend to read Anatomy of Hatha Yoga if you can (well, if you are interested how your body works). Then a word of wisdom (if I have any). Yoga is very tough to your knees at first. Yoga requires strong knees and it is good to be careful for first 2 months when you run. At least in my case, my knees felt very weak at first because yoga practise drained all the strength from my leg muscles. I even decided to stop my runs few times, because I did not have enough confidence on supportive knee muscles. This was only temporary, but it is always better to play safe then risk an injury. Now my legs are strong, especially supportive muscles in my knees. Still, it is hard to say if yoga has improved my running pace. But, I feel good, so so good. No any pains, no any injuries after I started to practise yoga. To start to practise yoga was one of the best decisions I have done. Recommended!
              runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Back pain I know. Yago 3-4 times a week. I'm in.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Ringmaster

Yoga was too difficult for me. I do Pilates as often as I can squeeze it in and it has definitely helped my core strength. Since I started Pilates before running, I can't tell you if it has improved my running, but they say it does. I would imagine yoga, done correctly, would do the same thing.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                  Mile by Mile

I was introducted to yoga by Betsy Kase of Yoga haven back in 2000. I have practised it on and off for the last few years. I also did pilates for a while, but my gym has not replaced the pilates intstuctor. They are all into "spinning".
                    I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
                    TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

Yes, I do some yoga. A short set of poses every morning that work for me. Ocassionally I will take a class. After you get a routine down, an intersting experiment is to try doing yoga before an ez run and on another day after an ez run. Note how the run feels, how your recovery goes, what muscules are tight and loose when.
                      Find the fun.
                        I take a Yoga class a couple days a week. I think it has definitely helped me as far as building strength. I always thought that running was building the strength in my legs until I started doing some of those yoga poses and realized how weak I really was. I'm really just a beginner runner so I can't say if it's helped my running or not, but it definitely has helped my over shape Smile
                        Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
                          My class is a strength class followed by Yoga. I swear the class is designed for runners but the class has mostly middle age and senior women in it... We do a bunch of squats and lunges, core work... and upper body with light weights and resistence bands. 45 minutes... then 45 minutes of yoga. the combination has made me so much stronger... All the balancing poses have really strengthened my ankles... all the hip abductor work in the strenght class has really helped as well. I see it as protection against injury. Plus I like it.
                            Anyone use a DVD to do yoga at home? I have taken some classes and have a set of poses I like to do after a run, but I'd like to find a DVD that I can use at home...I have moved to a tiny rural town with no yoga classes.

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

I love Yoga and try and do it at least once a week, there was a time when I did nothing but run and yoga. Rodney Yee and Brian Kest videos work for me. Also, I've done Bikram in the winter which is fabulous. Yoga stretches parts of me that do not get stretched any other time or way. Its also great for posture which helps me when running.
                                Well, I do only DVDs. My favourite is Tony Sanchez Yoga Challenge DVD Set. Challenge I has really nice work out to your legs. I checked around 8 different yoga DVDs and, unfortunately, many are just waste of money.