Anyone Do Yoga? (Read 1578 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Just finished my run. Dishnetwork has Steve Ross on Oxygen channel at 6 am EST. I have record several to use. It is yoga time so I'm out. Big grin

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I call yoga "forced stretching". I am the last person in the world that I thought would do yoga and in the beginning I had to learn to relax. I belong to the YMCA so I'm able to experience different yoga teachers and pick the ones I like the best. Some of it is not easy and I have to concentrate on the stretch. It's a great core builder. It has helped my running in the sense that I can tell when I've gone a week without yoga. In fact, I'm aiming for 2 classes a week.

2008 Goals

Run Jax Bank 12/21/08 under 4 minutes (1st marathon)
      5K 23.99
      10K 50.40
      1/2 1:52
      Manage injuries so I can stick to training plan
      Make healthy food choices
        I have been doing a gentle yoga class on Friday nights which I believe makes my long runs on Sundays/Mondays so much more enjoyable. I also did a "yoga for runners" workshop a couple of months ago and have incorporated the poses into my post run stretching which has helped eliminate soreness I had felt in the past. I am really hoping to get some more yoga in.

Michelle

Scout7

I like raspberry yoga. I think Trent makes his own.
          C-R

I like raspberry yoga. I think Trent makes his own.
            I like Yoda

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

invisible

I'm getting back into running and have been eyeing a 5K in September. I have been running three days a week and doing yoga on my other days. I love the flexibility and strength in yoga. Anyone else do yoga? Does it help you at all with running?
              The Rishikesh Series AFTER every run and a warm-up routine in the morning followed by standing asanas on non-running days or with at least a few hours in between the standing asanas and the run. It helps with not getting injured. Smile For some excellent overall instruction go here: http://www.movingintostillness.com/index.html Click TEACHINGS. In Book Chapters click THE WIND THROUGH THE INSTRUMENT...LINES OF ENERGY...PLAYING THE EDGE. The key to rapid progress is to have no ambition. Never force.
              90 percent of the game is not giving up.
                The key to rapid progress is to have no ambition. Never force.
                Aye, words of wisdom. This works for every kind of exercise, but especially for yoga. Brakes, brakes and more brakes is needed in yoga. Your mind always wants more and faster then your body can provide. Yoga and stretching can cause you serious injuries if you are not able to control your urges (hehee...). But, if you can keep up a steady, healthy pace of practice, then yoga and even normal stretching gives you many benefits (even though many argue against this...remember to restrain yourself). To remind this to myself, I'm keeping cool down week right now. No exercise until next Monday. Weekly gardening work on top of the exercise has started to show it's mark on my legs. EDIT: typo mistakes
                  I did hot yoga (Bikram) for about 4 months last winter and loved it. It was a great was to relax after work and I noticed a lot of improvement in my blance and strength. Unfortunately, the class was 1.5 hours long, expensive ($17/class) and started getting way too crowded for my liking. I think about starting again all the time, but haven't been able to work it in my schedule lately. Cry
                  MissGiggles

I love yoga.

Running on the ocean

OK, this might sound funny to many but here's what happened to me. Since a longer time I'm interested in starting doing yoga. However, there are so many books and DVDs out there it's sort of difficult to find a good starting point. You know, you go to a bookstore and see a whole row of yoga beginners books which makes me turn around and leave. Well, my starting point came last week as my kids got the WII Fit. Yeah, first I was laughing thinking "nice toy". But then I watched them and I was surprised how actually sophisticated it is. The kids love the games on it but I saw that there's a yoga section. I set up my profile and started doing it and I must say it's really good for a beginner like me. I'm not kidding but after my first session my lower back pain was way less than I started. Here's a good YouTube video about the yoga: http://youtube.com/watch?v=WgiIPFMsn8A

You know when you're running a ultra marathon because the pain actually starts to hurt
                      -- Jakob Herrmann
                      my running achievements

I do not say that this guy is the best or anything, but I'm doing his DVDs every week (Tony Sanchez). Really good to your legs and lower back. Worth to try if you start to like Wii Yoga. http://youtube.com/watch?v=QT8zcT7sbMk

Running on the ocean

I do not say that this guy is the best or anything, but I'm doing his DVDs every week (Tony Sanchez). Really good to your legs and lower back. Worth to try if you start to like Wii Yoga.
                          Thanks! I'll check it out!

You know when you're running a ultra marathon because the pain actually starts to hurt
                          -- Jakob Herrmann
                          my running achievements

I had been suffering from pretty bad plantar fasciitis off and on for almost a year when I started doing Bikram (hot yoga). At first I was really sore (like knife-slicing pain on the side of my calves and deep in my hamstrings) and had to modify my runs for the day(s) immediately following, but within a month of just doing it once or twice a week, I noticed a huge increase of flexibility which (I'm pretty sure) began to relieve pressure on my PF. Also, after running seriously (almost always more than 50 mpw) for 12 years, I had begun to feel like I was plateauing in my general fitness and really enjoyed a new kind of challenge. My arms started to look more toned than they ever did from the light weight routine I do. I think stretching thoroughly and doing core work regularly would be just as beneficial, but for me, yoga was a good was to make sure I did it. Hard to go to hot yoga in the summertime, though.
                              I have never really felt interest to Bikram. Too intense and physical. I like slow and relaxed yoga. I even realized this week that stretching is not that good, but better term would be "loosing tension". Stretching can go too far and cause some problems. Now I only try to give my muscles stimulus to relax, keeping very very light feeling on muscles and only move further after the muscles has totally relaxed. I find this very relaxing. Nice to see what kind of effect it has to my body.
                                I used to go, and I really enjoyed it. But I also weight lift and run three times a week, and having another day of yoga would have stretched me out too much. I had some shoulder and lower back injuries when I would also do yoga, so in the end I had to cut out yoga.