First marathon (Read 506 times)

So I want to start thinking about running a marathon for next year (2009)...How do you go about deciding which one you want to run? The pittsburgh marathon is coming back in may of next year, so that's local. I can't travel that far either. Also, how do you go about choosing a training program to follow? I'm thinking about it now so I can have plenty of time. I have to go away for a month and a half during the summer for army stuff, so I should probably do it in the spring, right? Or would it be ok do still shoot for a fall race even with that break? Ok, sorry for the zillion questions Tongue
    C-R

There are several great posts on this. Use the search function for first marathon, marathon schedules, ..... Picking a marathon is almost as personal as choosing running clothes. Find what fits you - scenic, well supported, small, big city,...... For mine, it was a matter of being close. Its great to run a huge race in a neat city, but the travel can add another source of stress and believe me you will be stressed enough. I'm still stressed prior to any race let alone a marathon. As far as plans go there are more of these than you can hit with a stick. I can't tell which is better but opinions are deep on this one with others. My advice is to get your base mileage up slowly but consistently. This was the one downfall of my last training season. Good luck on your quest.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

The Greatest of All Time

With only taking a cursory view of your log I think you have enough running already to start a program at the first of the year with the Pittsburgh marathon in May as your target race. This is plenty of time. I would keep your training for this first marathon very simple. Don't overthink it. Just run and enjoy the ride. There are programs everywhere. If you want to buy a book I would recommend Pfitzinger's. Just remember to be flexible and not get locked into any one program like it's scripture. The hallmark of any good program is its flexibility, so make sure your program is as well. Good luck!
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          go for da burg! i think you've got adequate preparation. elite runners and walkers/three rivers running club is putting together a training program/weekly group runs to start at beginning of next year. there are probably others, but i'm biased: i'll probably be leading one of the pace groups. they'll also have a few tune-up races (spring thaw, just a short run.)
            I wanted a smaller race since huge crowds make me nervous, and a race with good reviews for support and organization. www.marathinguide.com was a huge help since people have reviews for most of the races. A cool expo was also something I thought would enjoy and I didn't want too many hills. Luckily I found a perfect race close to me that fit all my requirements. It's going to be very individual but what do you think is important for your first race and what kind of experience are you looking for?
            You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here