any idea how many laps (Read 1510 times)

around a standard gym would be a mile? Just curious.

- Anya

I'm not sure there is a "standard gym" You'd be better off banging your head against the wall 32 times.
      Runners around the state are getting better today ...are you one of them? TRAIN HARD
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

around a standard gym would be a mile? Just curious.
        Not quite sure what a standard gym is. But a basketball court is 94'L x 50'W. If we pad that 10 feet on all sides, you get 114 x 70. Perimeter (one lap) is then roughly 2(114+70) = 368 feet. So 5280 ft / 368 ft/lap = 14.3 laps.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JakeKnight

Not quite sure what a standard gym is. But a basketball court is 94'L x 50'W. If we pad that 10 feet on all sides, you get 114 x 70. Perimeter (one lap) is then roughly 2(114+70) = 368 feet. So 5280 ft / 368 ft/lap = 14.3 laps.
          If you trust his numbers, you are a fool. He's probably making it up. Or he's a complete dork. "Both of the above" is also an available option.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

I'm not sure there is a "standard gym" You'd be better off banging your head against the wall 32 times.
            It's a highschool gym. I'm taking boot camp, and we do a lot of laps around the gym ( which is the ONLY easy part of the class ) I was just wondering how far we might be running. Don't worry I won't add it to my running log Wink

- Anya

jdmcgregor

All business

Could i suggest timing it, and making a guesstamate? That way we can see how close JGB's calculations are.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

The math presented above is probably pretty close. The Y that I go to has an indoor track which is 1 story above the basketball court. Since its elavated, it pretty much follows the dimensions of the baselines and sidelines of the court, and no padding of the distance. This track measures 16 laps to a mile.