getting the most out of interval data (Read 53 times)

maplemountain

Hill Fiend

I'd like to make graphs of my speed work so I can track my progress over time. I'll use my workout today as an example. I ran 12 x 200m at 6 min/mile pace. I typed all those intervals in. Great. But I also need to track my weekly mileage so I don't increase too much, too fast. I also need to track the mileage on my shoes. (I am guilty of wearing shoes until they are thinner than socks, somebody stop me!) So I entered in all the recovery and rest segments, too. Okay, now RA has logged my total mileage for the day PLUS added all that mileage to my shoes. Great. But here's the problem. Go into Reports and try to pull interval data, and you'll get the average pace for that whole day. So instead of seeing 6 min/mile pace for today's intervals, I'll see 9 min/pace for the day, because of all the jogging and walking. I really want to make this graph, but I'm not willing to go back and de-select all the rest/recovery segments, because that mileage needs to be tracked.

I would really love to see a graph that has pace up the y-axis, and distances of intervals along the x-axis in chronological order. So, for a really simplified example: let's say you do 4 workouts a month. 12x400m, 3xmile, 12x200m, and 5x1k. So along the x-axis you'll see those four workouts rotating through, 12x400 Sept/2017, 3xmile Sept/2017, 12x200 Sept 2017, 5x1k Sept 2017, 12x400 Oct 2017, 3xmile Oct/2017, etc .... all the way through 12x400 Sept 2018, 3xmile Sept 2018, etc. The paces up the y-axis would show maybe 6 to 8 min per mile. So my chart might have last year's workouts with 7:45 mile repeats and 7:00 paced 400m maybe. And this year it's down to 7:20 mile repeats and 6 min/mile 200m reps. Right now, when I try to make this graph, it automatically uses the average pace for the whole day, which is not helpful. The average paces are including the warm up and cool down, so the speed work is not isolated. It appears the only fix would be to go back into EVERY workout and deselect the rest and recovery buttons. I'm not doing that.  I want to track that speed work without having to NOT track the total mileage of those days.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a feature that doesn't exist yet? Possibly a programming nightmare for some poor soul?

Thanks and Happy Running!

• Find a mountain
    • Run up it
    • Enjoy the view

Going forward, log your warm-up, cool-down and recoveries as a separate run.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

maplemountain

Hill Fiend

I suppose that's one approach. Thanks. It would be great to have just the speed interval data pulled by the reports tool, but I suppose that is a programming nightmare. (It would also be great to have a winged foot emoji here )

• Find a mountain
        • Run up it
        • Enjoy the view