Gymboss (Read 483 times)

Roses Revenge

Okay, in theory I like the idea. Maybe even in practice, but . . . I don't mind it beeping when I'm out by myself, but I think it would be irritating when I'm with other people. I tried setting it to vibrate, and can't find a place to put it where I can feel it vibrate. Actually, if it's in my hand, I can feel it, but that's it. I tried setting it to both beep and vibrate this afternoon thinking that the beep would let me know it's vibrating and that I could make the mind recogition, but that didn't work. What to do?

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

A Saucy Wench

Snarky comments about vibration aside....(heh. heh heh. I'm 12) Are you talking for a gym workout or for running? My trainer has me do 20s/10s lifting intervals and that I really do need a timer for but I found the beep annoying so I got a magnetic one and I just put it on whatever station I am working. For running...dunno, I've used the garmin which beeps and I dont think in a running situation people who run with you are going to notice that much unless it is really loud. Most people's personal noise is louder than you would think. (ie I feel like I am wheezing like a freight train up the hills, but so is running p, so she cant hear me and I cant hear her. ) If you really want vibrate mode, I would think you would need it held firmly to the skin to feel it in a running situation, so....tuck in the top of the sportsbra like some women carry money & gu?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I don't find the gymboss beeping any more irritating than all the other watches and HRM's beeping around me. Most people seem to be able to ignore everyone else's nuances as to how they are keeping up with their splits and heart rate in a race. The only time I've really heard runners complain about noises in a race is cell phones ringing Big grin. I've used my gymboss in one marathon so far and no one complained even though it beeps for five seconds at each interval I have it set at. I haven't used the vibrate feature so I can't comment on that.
        USAF Marathon, September 19 Atlanta 1/2 Marathon, Nov 26 Breast Cancer Marathon, Feb 21, 2010
        Roses Revenge

Thanks for the comments about the beeping. Yes, I want to use this for running. Despite having done multiple marathons, I'm still more of a walker than a runner and am considering following the C25K plan to build up my running time, along with the other training and races I'm doing this spring/summer. Personally, I don't hear other peoples gear beeping, because I am hard of hearing, but I also don't want to offend anyone either. I think my plan is going to be to have it beep when I'm out training on my own, but leave it home when I do the Saturday AM group training runs/walks. Whether or not I use it in any races remains to be seen. I have 7 more days on my seasonal part time job and then will be working full time for my year round part time job while my boss is out of the country until the end of April. I'm trying to figure out my personal training/racing plan for the rest of the year between now and the first of May when I'll be back to only working half time. Thanks!

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!