Running cadence (Read 156 times)

I just bought the Garmin Forerunner 220 and just downloaded the mobile app and see that it also measures my cadence.  I love all the features of this watch!  But I've never tracked my cadence and have no idea what is normal.  My average seems to be around 170 with a max of 187.  Is this normal?  My regular pace is about 8:20 and 8:55-9:00 for long runs.

The discussion about what is a normal or good cadence is discussed often, though there's no one right answer.   I think most will find their cadence is slower when running at slower speeds, and faster at faster speeds, despite some literature saying you should strive for the same number regardless of speed.  The mythical cadence of 180 is what some shoot for, and Jack Daniels has written about it in his book.

I'd say your pretty normal with your cadence, as far as normal goes.   If you google "optimal running cadence" you'll find lots of articles on it. But, the bottom line is that we naturally use a cadence that's optimal for us.

HCH

Normal? Probably. Ideal? Probably not.

A lot of us tend to overstride and shuffle along when we'd be better off picking up our feet. Pace = stride length x cadence, so improving your cadence will make you faster. It will also help to keep you from overstriding, which in the long run (pun intended) can lead to all sorts of injuries. Now that you have this toy you can track it and work on getting your easy run cadence up to ~180. You'll feel the difference.

Which reminds me, I need to find my footpod and start working on cadence myself this off season...

Only 26.2 miles more to go.

I'm only 5'2" so I would think my cadence would normally be higher?

Funny you talk about stride length.  I was in PT for a running injury and the idiot new PT tried to tell me I needed to lengthen my stride and kick out my knee with every step.  He messed my running up so much and gave me a new injury.

Thanks for the input.  I'll start tracking it and comparing my slower and longer runs.

mikeymike

It's normal.

Now that a lot of my friends on Strava have watches that measure cadence I realize that there is quite a lot of individual variation in cadence. I know 2:17 marathoners who average 168 on easy runs, and 3:30 marathoners who average 187, with basically no correlation between height, weight or average speed and cadence.

My own runs tend to be somewhere between 174 and 178 for easy runs, and like 185-188 during races. So my cadence changes with speed but not by nearly the same percentage.

Runners run

No more marathons

Normal? Probably. Ideal? Probably not.

A lot of us tend to overstride and shuffle along when we'd be better off picking up our feet. Pace = stride length x cadence, so improving your cadence will make you faster. It will also help to keep you from overstriding, which in the long run (pun intended) can lead to all sorts of injuries. Now that you have this toy you can track it and work on getting your easy run cadence up to ~180. You'll feel the difference.

Which reminds me, I need to find my footpod and start working on cadence myself this off season...

I've talked about this in other boards, so forgive me if you've heard it before.

As we age (I'm 64) we lose flexibility in our joints.  This leads to a shortened stride.

I've always had a fairly quick cadence, right around the mythical 180 but it's just been in the past few years that I noticed (as I became slower) that my foot strike, which had always been heavy heel and supination, was now also a dragging of the foot as I landed.  Actually more of a skidding into the landing.  I started using a foot pod to measure my cadence and it showed that my stride length was a paltry .99 to 1.01 meters.  I'm 5'11" and I think my natural walking stride is longer than that.

With that information I began to concentrate on pushing off from my toes, and engaging my hips as I moved forward.  The result was a slightly lower cadence (now around 176) but my stride length has increased to 1.05 to 1.07.  Those few centimeters each equate to about 5 seconds per mile.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

So after being a marathon runner for over 15 years this is all new to me and incredibly interesting.  I appreciate everybody's input.

I've normally just focused on my pace.  And since I'm happy with my speed with 3 BQ's (and hoping for another in a couple months), I've never paid attention to it.  But I wonder if I could be running more efficiently, unless my cadence and stride length are considered within the normal range.

My Garmin data shows my stride length at 1.08m.  So is that too short then?  Again I'm only 5'2". I also run in Newton's so I'm a forefoot striker.  Not sure if that adds to the equation or not.

So after being a marathon runner for over 15 years this is all new to me and incredibly interesting.  I appreciate everybody's input.

I've normally just focused on my pace.  And since I'm happy with my speed with 3 BQ's (and hoping for another in a couple months), I've never paid attention to it.  But I wonder if I could be running more efficiently, unless my cadence and stride length are considered within the normal range.

My Garmin data shows my stride length at 1.08m.  So is that too short then?  Again I'm only 5'2".  I also run in Newton's so I'm a forefoot striker.  Not sure if that adds to the equation or not.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My immediate reaction is, with the success you're having (3 BQs), don't mess with it. Seems to me that bears a greater risk than just carrying on as you are. I would just concentrate on maintaining a quick, smooth, efficient stride, without worrying about raw numbers. Still, if you want to log cadence data and correlate it to your speed, comfort, race success, or whatever, that's probably fine too. Did I just say nothing?

No @LedLincoln I appreciate your input.  I really had no idea until now whether it was something I should be paying attention to.  So while I'll just look at the logs I won't worry about it.

I appreciate everyone's input.  Thanks!

My immediate reaction is, with the success you're having (3 BQs), don't mess with it. Seems to me that bears a greater risk than just carrying on as you are. I would just concentrate on maintaining a quick, smooth, efficient stride, without worrying about raw numbers. Still, if you want to log cadence data and correlate it to your speed, comfort, race success, or whatever, that's probably fine too. Did I just say nothing?

good advice!

npaden

My new (3 months or so) iPhone 6 at least pretends to monitor my cadence.  I haven't really worked at increasing it, but I've been watching it and it has increased slightly from about 170 on an easy run to 175 or so.  During shorter races (5K & 10K) it jumps up to around 185.

I haven't run a longer race since I've had it, but I would think it might end up somewhere around that magical 180 number.

Not sure any of this has made any difference in anything though, I'm actually slower right now but I've been running 100 mile months instead of 150+ mile months with targeted workouts.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Through what feature or app is the 6 measuring the cadence?  The health app that tracks your mileage?

npaden

It tracks your steps.  Runkeeper then adds that to their data and computes the steps per minute for you.  It only shows up on the app though, not on the website.

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Oh got it.  I use a Garmin and not an app.