losing weight (Read 1095 times)

ashares

ok, i lost about 25 punds before joining cross country and it really helped me get faster. i was between 105 and 110 during my season. now track is starting up and ive gained a few pounds back. any tips on how to lose it FASSTTTT? trust me i know all about weight loss and how to do it proberly, i just need some new advice to add to what i already know. I wanna be back to 110 in anout 2 weeks. i am 113-115 right now. we are only conditioning right now in track, but the real workouts are coming soon, i dont wanna be dieting then, cuz it might hurt my speed workouts i think. please help. thank you thank you
    ashares

anyone??

Oh Mighty Wing

you realize 3 lbs can just be normal fluctuation right?
          without knowing your gender, age, height --- it's really hard to give you any advice.
          2009: BQ?
          ashares

without knowing your gender, age, height --- it's really hard to give you any advice. Im a 5'4 16 year old high school runner. its definitely not fluctuation weight.
              Drink heaps of water. And by heaps I mean at least 2.5-3.0 litres a day (sorry...I don't know what the conversation would be from metric). Also, cut out wheat, gluten and dairy as well as substituting meat (steak for example) and eating good quality fish instead, like salmon. I'm a 36 year old female, height approx 5"9" and weighed 65kgs and by cutting out the above things, I lost nearly 4 kgs in a month. I'm ALWAYS well hydrated and not just because I get thirsty a lot. If you're body knows it's getting enough water, it won't retain any extra (ie...it doesn't go into 'starvation/dehydration' mode). Oh, and have several smaller meals during the day to increase your metabolism. I eat at least every couple of hours even if it's only a handful of dried fruit and nuts (not roasted, not salted), or a piece of fruit. Good luck.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Up in the top right section of this website, there is a search function. This issue comes up every week. Search for it. I think most folks who answer this question patiently every time (myself included) don't feel like typing in the answer over and over and over). And there is no reason to expect that cutting out gluten will cause you to drop weight. And drinking 3/4 gallon of water every day may actually be harmful. For example: http://runningahead.com/forums/post/d72c8f05421642c0a8c2241b379c460d#focus
                  It might be normal weight that you've gained. Between my sophmore and junior year i gained about 3-4 lbs and couldn't figure out why or how to lose it. Turns out i had grown about an inch and my body was just matuering. That's probably what's happened to you too...your body is still changing a lot at 16 and weight changes are normal. Just keep training hard and it if comes off that's great if it doesn't it's probably a more permamant change but either way it shouldn't effect your season in any way...in fact my junior season was a lot faster than my sophmore...good luck!!!! Big grin
                    Comment for Trent. Actually, all the information I've ever read about suggests drinking 2 litres of water everday (if that's 3/4 gallon??) and if you're exercising excessively (ie running) then that fluid consumption would need to be more anyway to cover perspiration loss. And I actually suggested cutting out not just gluten, but wheat and dairy also. Ask any doctor about Coeliac's Disease and they would probably tell you that for some people wheat/gluten can cause all sorts of problems. And as for dairy, really when you think about it, dairy technically is not a natural food for the human body. It's made by cows for calves....not humans. By cutting out/down (and no, I'm not totally strict with my non dairy diet) the body will only be processing food that is natural and more easily digestable (another reason why I eat more fish than meat). The Japanese are on to a good thing too because their diet is very high in fish and low in meat and dairy. I merely made a suggestion that has worked for me and other people I've spoken to. If it doesn't work for anyone else, that's okay.
                      Are you a girl or a guy?
                      2009: BQ?
                      PWL

Has been

Ask any doctor...
                        Umm...Trent is a doctor.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Actually, all the information I've ever read about suggests drinking 2 litres of water everday (if that's 3/4 gallon??)
                          Wonderful. Please send me links to good randomized controlled trials evaluating this versus real clinical outcomes. Wink
                          Ask any doctor about Coeliac's Disease and they would probably tell you that for some people wheat/gluten can cause all sorts of problems.
                          Sure. If you have Coeliac disease. But interestingly, folks with this disease tend to be thin, and you suggested this diet for weight loss. So I am confused. And this elimination diet would only be expected to help somebody with this disease anyway, which is 3% of adults at most anyway. So I would not blindly suggest it for everybody.
                          And as for dairy, really when you think about it, dairy technically is not a natural food for the human body. It's made by cows for calves....not humans. By cutting out/down (and no, I'm not totally strict with my non dairy diet) the body will only be processing food that is natural and more easily digestable (another reason why I eat more fish than meat).
                          Well, I actually do think about it. Quite a bit. The argument that it is cow's milk and is designed for calves makes good sense, until you remember that we humans are omnivores, specifically evolved/created to be able to consume nearly anything. Sure, some folks are lactose or milk-protein intolerant, just as some people are allergic to bee stings. But that does not mean everybody has this problem. And folks have been consuming cow-based dairy products for generations to mellenia without problem. Likewise, the argument could be just as easily made that eating meat is unnatural for humans. Or that there is no difference between eating cow meat versus foul meat versus fish meat in terms of human digestability. The real problem with dairy today is likely related to how cow's milk is processed rather than the fact that it comes from a cow. We are omnivores. As a species we have the potential to digest anything. Sure, some folks will not be able to consume or digest some things, but the exceptions should not serve as the rules. AND none of this has anything to do with weight loss unless specifically eliminating these things reduces your overall caloric intake.
                          The Japanese are on to a good thing too because their diet is very high in fish and low in meat and dairy.
                          No, the Japanese eat fewer calories per day than we do. So too do the French. And the Italians. And just about every society that has an old food culture. Which is something we do not have. So we instead eat scienced up junk-food-products rather than fresh fruit and veggies, whole grains and natural proteins in moderation.
                          I merely made a suggestion that has worked for me and other people I've spoken to. If it doesn't work for anyone else, that's okay.
                          I am glad that you did, and am really delighted that it worked for you. But as my comments should suggest, I wonder if it was the caloric restriction and the focus on eating more wholesome foods rather than the arbitrary elimination of certain enemy foods that worked. Smile
                          JakeKnight

3/4 gallon is one hella lotta water. For what it's worth, the only bad marathon I ever had was a result of taking things like that too far - in the wekk before the race, I way over hydrated (bet I was drinking about 3/4 gallon of water a day Smile ), I took carbo loading to ridiculous extremes ... I basically did all the things you're supposed to do, and then did them 5 times as much as you should. By race day, my electrolytes - well, just about every system and organ I have - were all so confused they just decided to quit. It was a warm day, and I could have killed myself. All things in some kind of moderation. Which, by the way, is the answer to weight loss, too. Run more. Eat less. That's it. ------------------------------- C'mere, Trent. You need a big monkey hug, gloomy gus. And Eric needs to put that search function in bright neon up there.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

Prophet!

Or that there is no difference between eating cow meat versus foul meat versus fish meat
                              i think my tummy would notice if i ate foul meat.
                              JakeKnight

i think my tummy would notice if i ate foul meat.
                                Penalty. Snark. Five yards, repeat second down.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------