How much technology do you take running....? (Read 858 times)

Looking gooooood ;p

So, there I was today running with a Germin Forerunner 101 strapped to one wrist, Plar Heart monitor straed to the other, heart sensor straparound my chest and iRiver MP3 player hitched to the waistband ofmy shorts. Apart from worrying about electric shocks from short circuits in the heavy rain, I got to wondering "How much faster could I go without all this excess weight...?" Undecided Then I started thinking, "But the Garmin motivates my to run faster against my previous times and the music motivates/distracts me during the tough parts of my runs. So, if I didn't have them would I run as fast anyway...? And how would I know....?" Clowning around My question is, what do you carry/wear? Does it's benefits outweigh the extra weight problem? And is there a formula to calculate this...? Wink Cheers, Phil
    The best route to run is one which takes you furthest from the staff canteen....
    va

Looking gooooood ;p

The best route to run is one which takes you furthest from the staff canteen....
        va

Did you select the hyperlink? It takes you to a calculator. Enter a distance and a time you have completed that distance in. Also, enter your weight (with gadgets). Press "calculate". This will show you how much time you would save, by losing weight (e.g., losing your gadgets).
            Based on the fact that your gear weighs less than 1 pound - I would say the effect is negligible.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Based on the fact that your gear weighs less than 1 pound - I would say the effect is negligible.
              Physically negligible, but I have found that the "occasional" stops to fiddle with / adjust gear can be a definite slow-down factor.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

The Floor Walker

The only technology I wear is a simple watch with a chronograph. I only use it at the start of my run when i hit the "start" button and at the end when I hit the "stop" button. I feel like all those other gadgets are too much of a distraction from the simplicity of running.
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The only technology I wear is a simple watch with a chronograph. I only use it at the start of my run when i hit the "start" button and at the end when I hit the "stop" button. I feel like all those other gadgets are too much of a distraction from the simplicity of running.
                  Ah, another purist. You sound like someone I once knew. Jeffgoblue circa 1995: "Who needs all this crap? Just shut up and run, I say!" Jeffgoblue 2007: Well after owning it for 4 days, I can say that I love the Garmin Forerunner 305. And I'm not talking sweet, cute puppy love, I'm talking hot GPS action!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Looking gooooood ;p

So, using the weight-loss formula, I could improve my 5 mile time by 10 seconds. That's 2 seconds a mile Confused I think I'd save more if I had a good hircut Roll eyes
                      During races --- just my Garmin. During training runs -- Garmin (205) and iPod!
                      2009: BQ?
                        I used to carry: Timex Watch IPOD Mini Cellphone Keys Now I just carry: IPOD Mini Timex Watch Races: Keys How do you folks carry your cellphone without pockets? Clips? In a neck baggy?

Vim

How do you folks carry your cellphone without pockets? Clips? In a neck baggy?
                          Since I wander in the woods alone, I (reluctantly) carry my cell phone on all runs in the pocket that attaches to this belt. If I don't wear the belt, then I just clip my cell to my waistband. That, however, doesn't work well as the phone's a little heavy for lighter weight summer waistbands.
                            How do you folks carry your cellphone without pockets? Clips? In a neck baggy?
                            Just the Garmin. For long runs, I usually bring the Camelbak for water - if I bring this then I'll usually put the phone in the pocket of the Camelbak.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

madness baby

I have a cheap ass Timex watch and a tiny lil shuffle. Not running fast, anyway. Just out there to run. Wink
                              deb
                                I either wear my Timex GPS system or my Garmin 201. If I know the mileage where I am running I will just wear the watch of my Timex system and leave the GPS transmitter in the truck. It took me a while to see that I had become a prisoner to the "gadgets" and it was taking my joy away, so now, even when I wear them I use them more for tracking distance or for pace if I do speed work.
                                http://distance-runner.blogspot.com