Help - Getting back into 5k Racing Shape (Read 841 times)

I am currently 21yrs(guy) old turning 22 this year. I used to run XC and Indoor/Outdoor Track in high school. Since then I've enjoyed a college lifestyle with only occasional running in college. I want to gear up my body for the fall 5K season. I've been running easy mileage for the last 2 weeks just to start getting back in shape. I'm impatient and want to be able to race by late Sept. at the latest. My body reacts well to training and I have already started getting back into the swing of things. However, 've never trained for a race without a coach so I could use some advice about training for a 5k in such a short period of time. I'd love to be able to run sub 20min by October but I don't know how to train myself to do so. Any advice as far as speed/distance training, nutrition and the like would be much appreciated. Keep in mind I am willing to push myself but I only want to run 5ks. Here are some of my HS PRs. 800m: 2:14 Mile: 4:54 5k: 18:40 Thanks! Joe

Why is it sideways?

Good luck in your running and congrats on your choice to return to training. If you make your log public, it will be easier to give you more specific advice.

Why is it sideways?

Looks like you're just getting started back up. If it were me, I wouldn't do anything more structured for a couple of months than easy running most days and once or twice a week throwing in a tempo run or two. Your races can work as speed work. I know it's not summer, but the "Summer of Malmo" might be a good place to start thinking about how to get back in shape.
          Maybe a late summer/early fall of Malmo could jumpstart my training. Thanks for the advice!

Why is it sideways?

Go get 'em, brother. Keep on running!
              You always want to make it fun, so I would go buy a pair of Nike Zoom Victoy's they are a cross between track shoes and running shoes, and go run some 200, 400, and 600 meters sprints , sets of 10 with some rest between them and occasionally maybe a 2 or 3 mile run. You don't need much more for a 5k and stay away from the gels and sports drinks water is fine.

Right on Hereford...

Any advice as far as speed/distance training, nutrition and the like would be much appreciated. Keep in mind I am willing to push myself but I only want to run 5ks. Here are some of my HS PRs. 800m: 2:14 Mile: 4:54 5k: 18:40 Thanks! Joe
                Your 800 and mile times predict a 5k in the 16:20 - 16:50 range, so you've definitely got some nice talent! You should be able to break 20 within short order, I suspect, but don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen by October. You'll get your fitness back as long as you work for it. Since you seem to be asking for a training schedule, here's one for ya. It's on a 2-week cycle. Mon: off Tue: 20-minute tempo ("comfortably hard" pace), plus 10 minutes wu, 10min cd Wed: easy 3 Thu: easy 4 Fri: off Sat: easy 4 Sun: easy 7 Mon: off Tue: 5x1000 at roughly current 5k pace, with equal recoveries, plus wu/cd Wed: easy 3 Thu: easy 4 Fri: off Sat: 6, first 4 easy, last 2 comfortably hard Sun: easy 4 The next 2-week cycle would increase the mileage slightly, like so... Mon: off Tue: 20-minute tempo ("comfortably hard" pace), plus 10 minutes wu, 10min cd Wed: easy 3 Thu: easy 5 Fri: off Sat: easy 4 Sun: easy 8 Mon: off Tue: 5x1000 at roughly current 5k pace, with equal recoveries, plus wu/cd Wed: easy 3 Thu: easy 5 Fri: off Sat: 7, first 4 easy, last 3 comfortably hard Sun: easy 4 This gives you a little bit of everything you need for a 5k. As you increase mileage, your 5k times should come down more and more. Make sure to throw in an easier week every 3-4 weeks (or more often), as needed. This is important. Good luck, and let us know how it's going for you.
                  You always want to make it fun, so I would go buy a pair of Nike Zoom Victoy's they are a cross between track shoes and running shoes, and go run some 200, 400, and 600 meters sprints , sets of 10 with some rest between them and occasionally maybe a 2 or 3 mile run. You don't need much more for a 5k and stay away from the gels and sports drinks water is fine.
                  That doesn't seem like enough distance tho. I've always enjoyed a good track workout like you suggested but I always thought I would need to run some more distance to gear up for 5ks. What would be a good number of miles a week 20, 25? I don't have the time to put in for 30-40 mile weeks.
                    Your 800 and mile times predict a 5k in the 16:20 - 16:50 range, so you've definitely got some nice talent! You should be able to break 20 within short order, I suspect, but don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen by October. You'll get your fitness back as long as you work for it. Since you seem to be asking for a training schedule, here's one for ya. It's on a 2-week cycle. Mon: off Tue: 20-minute tempo ("comfortably hard" pace), plus 10 minutes wu, 10min cd Wed: easy 3 Thu: easy 4 Fri: off Sat: easy 4 Sun: easy 7 Mon: off Tue: 5x1000 at roughly current 5k pace, with equal recoveries, plus wu/cd Wed: easy 3 Thu: easy 4 Fri: off Sat: 6, first 4 easy, last 2 comfortably hard Sun: easy 4 The next 2-week cycle would increase the mileage slightly, like so... Mon: off Tue: 20-minute tempo ("comfortably hard" pace), plus 10 minutes wu, 10min cd Wed: easy 3 Thu: easy 5 Fri: off Sat: easy 4 Sun: easy 8 Mon: off Tue: 5x1000 at roughly current 5k pace, with equal recoveries, plus wu/cd Wed: easy 3 Thu: easy 5 Fri: off Sat: 7, first 4 easy, last 3 comfortably hard Sun: easy 4 This gives you a little bit of everything you need for a 5k. As you increase mileage, your 5k times should come down more and more. Make sure to throw in an easier week every 3-4 weeks (or more often), as needed. This is important. Good luck, and let us know how it's going for you.
                    This is exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks for taking the time to put this together, I'll let you know how it goes!

That doesn't seem like enough distance tho. I've always enjoyed a good track workout like you suggested but I always thought I would need to run some more distance to gear up for 5ks. What would be a good number of miles a week 20, 25? I don't have the time to put in for 30-40 mile weeks.
                      Me thinks that the post you are refering to should not be taken seriously. Put in as many miles as you have time for, the more you do the faster you will be.
                      Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.