Compression or loose running shorts? (Read 684 times)

jmwbos

Training for my second marathon. Typically logging about 40 - 50 miles per week. My weekly long run ranges from 14 - 24. I have sever back pain associated with a consistantly tight outer left hamstring and my right Piriformis. I've noticed when I wear my tri or compression shorts, I can usually run further and slightly faster. If compression shorts really help isolate and limit muscle range, why doesn't everyone use them? Surely, it's not just because most men are shy about well...showing the boys off?! Any experience or thoughts?
    jmwbos

Training for my second marathon. Typically logging about 40 - 50 miles per week. My weekly long run ranges from 14 - 24. I have sever back pain associated with a consistantly tight outer left hamstring and my right Piriformis. I've noticed when I wear my tri or compression shorts, I can usually run further and slightly faster. If compression shorts really help isolate and limit muscle range, why doesn't everyone use them? Surely, it's not just because most men are shy about well...showing the boys off?! Any experience or thoughts?
      sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

Surely, it's not just because most men are shy about well...showing the boys off?!
        No, that's the only reason.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

Mr. Muscle

I find they help me but only during colder training/races. It helps blood flow and it keeps the manberries warm. Of course I wear other shorts on top. That solves the "humble" problem.
          protoplasm72

I find them hotter and less comfortable. I don't really have any pain that they would help with so I don't wear them. I do some runs in my tri shorts just to get used to them for tri's. I don't notice any difference in the way I feel after wearing them.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson