The Biggest loser dangers? (Read 636 times)

chubacca

I know it's pretty scandalous, but after reading the horrific experiences of a finalist on the show, I don't think I can support it any more beyond the general idea of "morbidly obese people should eat better and exercise more."

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

I am usually eating dinner and then having desert while watching the show. Typically its on during my running time and then after showering I will eat while watching it off the DVR.
      valerienv

Thread killer ..

I have a friend who just lost 30 pounds in 40 days doing the Hcg diet - 500 calories , no carbs , no exercise . She looked awful her skin was dry her hair was dry . She bought it hook line and sinker telling me she was losing only belly fat although her legs look like sticks and her boobs are gone . She said if she gains any back she can do another "round" 40 days of 500 calories + the special Hcg cream .  I haven't seen her in a couple weeks so I'm not sure if she has started regaining yet . Sadly she has no interest in any type of exercise .

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have a friend who just lost 30 pounds in 40 days doing the Hcg diet - 500 calories , no carbs , no exercise . She looked awful her skin was dry her hair was dry . She bought it hook line and sinker telling me she was losing only belly fat although her legs look like sticks and her boobs are gone . She said if she gains any back she can do another "round" 40 days of 500 calories + the special Hcg cream .  I haven't seen her in a couple weeks so I'm not sure if she has started regaining yet . Sadly she has no interest in any type of exercise .

She couldn't do exercise on that diet if she tried!  One has to wonder what sort of damage she's doing to her metabolism with that.  Ugh.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Jess runs for bacon

Don't get me started on HCG. It frustrates me that people I know think that is a good idea.

Better I Leave

Interestingly enough, HCG is used by bodybuilders to "restart" their natural testosterone production for PCT (Post Cycle Therapy). That's what I knew it to be and then I hear about this ABSURD diet using it. Furthermore, there are people paying good money to drink the stuff...which happens to be destroyed in the GI tract.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

The strange thing in my friend's case her doctor recommended it and gave her a prescription for it , so in her mind it was not a fad or unsafe . I am not sure why her doctor wouldn't just tell her to eat a sensible diet and exercise . She was not huge just about 40 pounds overweight and does no exercise at all . I'm sure had she added in some exercise she would have lost weight fairly easily , toned up and looked better . I have just kept my mouth shut and congratulated her .

sugnim

What's HGC?

When I google it, I get a construction company, a golf club, a real estate company, and something called the "half gallon challenge."

Better I Leave

What's HGC?

When I google it, I get a construction company, a golf club, a real estate company, and something called the "half gallon challenge."

It's HCG sugnim...Human Chorionic Gonadotropin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_chorionic_gonadotropin

A Saucy Wench

The strange thing in my friend's case her doctor recommended it and gave her a prescription for it , so in her mind it was not a fad or unsafe . I am not sure why her doctor wouldn't just tell her to eat a sensible diet and exercise . She was not huge just about 40 pounds overweight and does no exercise at all . I'm sure had she added in some exercise she would have lost weight fairly easily , toned up and looked better . I have just kept my mouth shut and congratulated her .

Was this an MD or a naturopath.  Because the naturopaths here are all over this shit.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

sugnim

It's HCG sugnim...Human Chorionic Gonadotropin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_chorionic_gonadotropin

Oops.  Sorry for the moment of dyslexia!

Placenta & pregnant lady pee.  Nice.  I'll stick with diet & exercise.  Although I'm failing miserably at cutting the sugar!

Why is it sideways?

I agree with TanyaS and Nobby -- the biggest danger of the biggest loser is the way it feeds cultural ideas about exercise, pain, and health. The show is definitely part of the problem, not the solution. I'd add to this the "freakshow" element; it's basically P.T. Barnum all over again.

The show gives two things to viewers: first the good feeling that even though they are overweight and out of shape, at least they don't weigh 400 lbs. And then second it disguises that pleasure in feeling superior to others by offering cheap and contrived identification with the people that we were just pitying as the contestants fight for their goals.

You see this a whole lot on sitcoms these days: characters that make us feel good by comparison (they make us feel smarter or healthier or what have you) and then a storyline that shades over that feeling of superiority with really sappy and simplistic events that then make us feel sorry for those people. I think the hit show Parenthood works this way with different themes.

aponi

never runs the tangents

Every time I've tried to watch that show I've lost interest. I just see people crying and some buff chick yelling at them. I did read the thing about them cheating on a marathon, seems silly really.

There are people at work who just love it. All of them are workout nuts. I think they just get a kick out of seeing fat people having breakdowns.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

Chantilly75

I never watched this show, until this season, and it happened to be on one night, and I was kinda shocked that they made these extremely overweight people run so fast on the TM, the first time.

I am a multiple marathon finisher and I don't know if I could have done all the things the contestants were supposed to be doing.

It seemed too much and not safe, to me.

I don't understand how it will help people to like exercise...

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica