How to pick a dog who's a running companion (Read 1185 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

Both Hope and Dusty were hound mixes we got from the pound.  We asked for adult dogs that weren't too big and were good with cats, since we have two.  Hope was afraid of men, but my husband won her over, and she was a wonderful dog who ran with us and made our lives better, until lung cancer claimed her.  Dusty turned out to be not quite adult, as he was 50 lbs when we got him and now is pushing 100.  He's a lot taller than Hope was too, well able to steal sticks of butter, biscuits, chicken breasts, and pizza toppings off the counter.  But he's completely wonderful and also a great running partner.

We've never done high mileage with our dogs -- they just aren't into it after a few miles, and they both hate warm weather.  But we definitely run with them whenever we can, because a tired dog is a well-behaved dog.

Our shelter knows their stuff -- call yours up and tell them you want a running partner that will be good with kids.  Chances are they'll know which dog(s) would be best for you!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I agree that herding dogs can be good running partners--I've got two miniature Australian shepherds (14 lb & 18 lb) who I rescued a couple years ago and they run with me all the time.  I always carry water for them anytime we're doing more than a few miles (or plan runs past parks that have doggie water fountains) and I don't take them on longer runs when it's warm out.  If they don't get enough runs in during the week they get very crazy!

We loved our Australian shepherd, but she died before I started running.  It was so cute the way she would try to herd kids, other dogs, or chickens.  It wasn't so cute when she tried to herd angry cattle onto our lawn.

jfa

Lots of good advice here.

One more thing if not already mentioned. Puppy's bones are forming up to 2 years old, so don't run very young dogs long distances before then.

Good luck !

Berk

I just need to concur that a greyhound is probably the worst running partner ever (at least mine).  She might be the world greatest dog but as for a running partner, I think our max was about 1 mile and we stopped maybe 6 times during it.  On the other hand I have a Chesapeake Bay Retriever who can run all day, she gets in "the zone" and just keeps pace for as long as I keep her out there (within reason, max ~10 miles). Also it tires her out and anyone who has ever had a Chessie can tell you that "tired" is a desirable trait in a Chessie.

Please, please, do not buy a dog from a breeder.  Every time someone purchases a dog from a breeder, a perfectly good dog close by is put to sleep.  There are SO many unwanted animals out there.  It is 100% likely that you can find the right dog through a rescue group or shelter, including ones pre-screened for compatibility with cats and children.

Please, please, do not buy a dog from a breeder.  Every time someone purchases a dog from a breeder, a perfectly good dog close by is put to sleep.  There are SO many unwanted animals out there.  It is 100% likely that you can find the right dog through a rescue group or shelter, including ones pre-screened for compatibility with cats and children.

This logic is very flawed.  If you do buy a dog, from whatever source, please give it a great home.  Thanks.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

npaden

This logic is very flawed.  If you do buy a dog, from whatever source, please give it a great home.  Thanks.

I agree 100%.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

TammyinGP

I've only skimmed the responses in this thread but sounds like you've received some good advice.

I have two black labs, that are mixed with a bit of border collie. They are now about 21 mos old (sisters). If you are wanting running partners and are fine with skipping that very patience-trying puppy stage, I would recommend finding a shelter dog to rescue that is in that 1 1/2 to 2 yr old stage. They are still quite "puppy" like in their energy levels at this age and can begin running with you. A dog under 18 mos should not be "leash" runned (play running - like fetching, etc. is fine). You can do too much damage to their still growing growth plates and end up with very expensive surgery down the line.

Personally, I would only go with a VERY REPUTABLE breeder (those that advertise in your local paper or craigslist are not reputable breeders. a reputable breeder generally does not need to advertise that way) if I wanted a dog for showing, agility competitions, etc.   For a family pet, there are so many surrendered dogs at your local shelter, that are GREAT dogs.

Good Luck with your search!

Tammy

Hobby Jogger Especial!

You might want to check and see if there's some equivalent to the Inmate Dog Alliance of Idaho.  They take younger dogs that may not be well socialized or are harder to adopt (black dogs). They are trained in prison by inmates, supervised by a civilian dog trainer for two months. They learn basic obedience: sit, stay, lay, how to heel and even some tricks (shake, high 5).

That's where I got my awesome running buddy, Jet. He was 10 months old when we got him (adopted from the shelter). I started running with him at about 18 months. He's part lab and part border collie. He's ready to go all the time. He's the best combination of fun, playful, ready to go, but will snuggle and chill too. He needs regular exercise, but if for some reason, I'm not running, a walk or romp in the yard work too.

Our dog Jet has been an absolute joy to have around and a great running buddy.

TammyinGP

Shadow - your Jet sounds just like mine! Always ready to go (if they smell my drywicking clothes, or see the hat come out  - they go nuts!), but on rainy days when I don't want to head out, they are content to play some tug-of-war in the house or just chill for a day.

Tammy

Village people

Our first dog was.a lab//shpehard mix from the pound. He was a great running partner! We lucked into a 2 year old Weimaraner a few years ago and she does not like to run. She prefers to sniff around in the woods. She needs to be kept busy and running is not enough.

Hobby Jogger Especial!

Shadow - your Jet sounds just like mine! Always ready to go (if they smell my drywicking clothes, or see the hat come out  - they go nuts!), but on rainy days when I don't want to head out, they are content to play some tug-of-war in the house or just chill for a day.

Yep, I know what you mean. I learned not to say "run" around him or press any buttons on my Garmin Forerunner. He goes crazy when he hears the beeps. If he knows we're going running, he'll whine until we go out the door because I take too long getting dressed! Smile

TammyinGP

not only can I NOT say the word "run", but now I can't even spell it, nor can I say the word "walk" or "go". . .

now when I talk in code to my DH, I have to say something like "later, I will do that thing that the two of them like to do so much". . .

they even know which dresser drawer contains my running clothes and for some reason, no matter where they are in the house, they can hear "that" drawer open.

sorry for the hijack to the OP Wink

Tammy

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Runner's World did article on this awhile back and which dogs are good for running. i have a Weimaraner and she loves to run with me. Most of the time she does first mile with me to warm-up. I've taken her as long as 4-5 miles and loves it. She is fast and probably be good on a tempo run.Smile I want to run a 5k with her this year.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Animal shelter kill rates vary but 40% is typical.  If you adopt from a high kill rate shelter or a rescue group, you have either saved that dogs life or allowed the shelter/group to rescue another dog.  If you buy from a breeder, you are only encouraging the breeder to make more.  The supply of available dogs grossly exceeds the demand.