How to pick a dog who's a running companion (Read 1185 times)

Julia1971

What is it with what I call the 'Two greyhound minimum rule'?  I swear I don't think I've ever seen anyone walking with just one greyhound,  always two or three of them.

They are such sweet dogs!  If you get one, you become a hoarder.  Wink  I had to put mine down a few years ago.  I tried to adopt again but was denied since I'm not home a lot.  But, when I retire from marathoning, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting another greyhound...  Seriously, though, I think the reason people often adopt more than one is the high euthanization rate and that greyhounds have only known other greyhounds and track life so having another grey makes the transition easier.

xor

Yes... the outlook for greyhounds is grim (true with other dogs too, especially shelter mutts and some pits... but a specialized case when it comes to old racing dogs) so some folks get multiple.  Greyhounds are full of personality you may not realize when you meet one on the street... and they play off each other.  They keep each other company in the right situation.

Hip Redux

The situation for greyhounds is greatly improved over years past - fewer tracks, fewer dogs being bred, more adoption groups etc, etc.  There are still lots and lots of dogs needing homes, but it's better than it was where a broken leg was immediate euthanasia.

I had multiples because the dogs like the companionship.  But plenty have singletons and they do fine too.

dog person

Returning to the OP; I think this page from Runner's World is helpful for generalized info on running and dog breeds.

The dog I run with is a pointer/lab mix that I adopted about  a year and a half ago, at the time he was 3 years old. I take him for runs up to 13 miles, mostly he's really fun to run with. Has to stay home when it's hot or really even moderately warm, he has a really low tolerance for heat, he also loves to drink water on runs, so a carry a heavy  nylon fabric collapsible water dish that I stuff into the waistband of my shorts. He knows the locations of all the public fountains on the route, he'll start pulling me toward them as we get close to one.

Funny story about how he ended up in the shelter. We were told that the original owner had his girlfriend move in with him, and she brought a boxer with her, the two of them didn't get along, so my guy had to hit the bricks, and he's about the sweetest most polite dog you'll ever meet, I'm 100% sure that the other dog was the problem.  Even the people at the shelter were somewhat dumbfounded , they thought he was a really nice dog too. Some guys will never learn!

Kristian

dirtroadrunner

My running partner is a German Shepherd. My whole family loves her and she is a dream to run with. Excited to go but she minds well so doesn't pull me around, chase after things, etc. Granted she just has to trot fast when I run Smile

I have an english setter, who loves to run. But. It's a hunt dog, so he wants to search bushes from right - left before me, not running by my side. If a have a leash, it's difficult to run straight - I have to watch out the dog. Once he got afraid and jumped u my feet, so I've fallen and injured my knees. And I must use the leash, as I run in the roads where are cars.  And in the fields he chases pheasants or hares, and I don't want to  him to do.

So finally I walk out with my Loupek with a leash, and run alone. It's too dangerous. And he runs freely in my garden.

Maybe the problem is that I did not brouth him up correctly. I work a lot, and I don't spend too much time with him.

if you've entered a race abroad, this hound probably wouldn't be a good choice.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

jfa

My favorite running Buddy.

He's a mutt from a rescue. He's very much a cold weather dog. He will walk into the ocean here in NJ in February. Conversely, I can't run him far if it's over 70* without having water spots to cool him down.

Imminent Catastrophe

Funny story about how he ended up in the shelter. We were told that the original owner had his girlfriend move in with him, and she brought a boxer with her, the two of them didn't get along, so my guy had to hit the bricks, and he's about the sweetest most polite dog you'll ever meet, I'm 100% sure that the other dog was the problem.  Even the people at the shelter were somewhat dumbfounded , they thought he was a really nice dog too. Some guys will never learn!

Bitch.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

DataJunkie

Growing up we had a malamute.Great temperament and they're working class dogs so they can go the distance (sled dogs). They aren't particularly fond of hot weather though. And they're quite large which can be overwhelming to some people. Proper training is a must.

Husky

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

dog person

Just as a slight aside, it is pretty interesting just how fast trained dogs can run.

Imagine running 30 miles in 1:29:24?

Or how about a 43 MPH sprint?

Kristian

Just as a slight aside, it is pretty interesting just how fast trained dogs can run.

Imagine running 30 miles in 1:29:24?

Or how about a 43 MPH sprint?

Keep in mind that 30 miles is across 3 days x 10mi/day, I'm pretty sure. Still - 10mi in about 30min hauling a sled and driver isn't dawdling. Smile

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

To sum it up, we are looking for:

1. Child-friendly

2. non-shedding

3. running partner

Anyone have any experience with Standard Poodles?

My mom has had 2 standard poodles.  Both of them are/were very, very smart.  High maintenance though with all the clipping of hair.  Every dog is different, and I suppose it's different when you raise a standard poodle from a puppy but neither of her dogs is great around my son.  The first one would growl and snap at him.  He was a weird dog to start with, didn't like strangers.  My son came around when he was already 4 or 5 years old so he didn't grow up with children around.  He wasn't great with other dogs either.  

The 2nd poodle nips constantly and jumps.  He is very sweet and happy and doesn't mean to hurt anybody, he's just hyper and not well trained.  He is extremely hyperactive and barks constantly (her other poodle rarely barked).  He loves children, but because he nips and jumps, we are careful around him.   I was dog-sitting him earlier this week, and took him running.  He did great -- heeled well, only ran in front of me a couple of times (my mom has him on her left, I tried to keep him on my right - not his fault he was confused).  It was the first time I had run with him, and it was the first time he's ever gone running with anybody.  I was very pleasantly surprised how well he did and I bet with proper training he'd be a great running partner.  

Michelle