How to pick a dog who's a running companion (Read 1185 times)

JanaLamb

Yeah. If it's your first time running with your dog, better keep him in a leash first. Just to see how he'd react with the whole running experience. Once he gets used to it, I guess you can let him off.

When you do pick out a dog, do you start it first off with a leash while running and then slowly wean it off? (More of a dog training question I guess)

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Zombie thread.

But yeah, any dog should be leash trained, and it's the rare dog and the rare location where it's a good idea to run leash-less.

AnneCA

Zombie thread for sure- I've had my dog for a couple of years!  Agree that off-leash runs are a special treat.  He wears a harness when we run, with the leash attached on his back, which is nice because he rarely gets his leash underfoot.  On my end, the leash is adjustable to become a waist belt if I want to be hands-free.

jfa

He wears a harness when we run, with the leash attached on his back, which is nice because he rarely gets his leash underfoot.

Do your research on harnesses. This is the key.

RunSplendidly

my vet recommended looking for the following:

short hair

long snout

medium size or large but lean

My dog fits that description and he's a great running partner that doesn't get distracted easily. He's a pitbull mix. Only reacts at all to other dogs we meet while running if they are extremely reactive to his presence. Even then his reaction is mild.

He's trained for a marathon with me carrying his own water in a back pack in 2014 when he was 1.5 years old. Now I take him on most of my shorter runs and he goes right into play mode when we get home so I know he could go longer.

He runs by my side on a short leash that always has a little bit of slack in it. He doesn't pull ahead because he is trained that way. He does as well off the leash. I keep it on wherever I share the road or trail with others more for their comfort than out of necessity.

He does not pee or poop during runs ever. He also was super easy to train to run by my side with a little slack on the leash. Since we always run with slack in the leash, I use a regular leash that I hold in my hand. I do not recall even one situation where he strained against the leash so hard that I would have to be worried about neck injuries.

I also taught him the left and right command. Since I've got the leash in my hand, it's really easy to lift my hand before turning as well to give him a heads up. No accidents so far.

I run with a coonhood/beagle mix. He's about 2 years old and a very good running bud. He wears a harness,  and obviously being of the breed he is, I'd be a fool to let him run free. I've trained him to stay by my side, but at times he will catch the scent of something and throw my pace off. We are still working on that one Smile The biggest peeve though is when he's got to make frequent pit stops, but I just have to let him do his thing and continue on.

Gator eye

He does not pee or poop during runs ever.

I can't teach myself this trick let alone my dog.

JanaLamb

Is it better to run with a large dog or a small dog? I have a pretty aggressive dachshund. He sure runs around so fast and barks at other dogs that are so much bigger than him.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

dogstrainingtool

link spam