just wanted to say hi (Read 1315 times)

bopper (at 50)

I've been running for about 6 weeks now, doing intervals of walking and running.  I'm now doing 5 min of running and about 1 min of

walking for about 3.1 miles. Current average pace: 14:22.   I'm running 4 or 5 times a week.  Its still hard but I can see improvement in my running time and stamina. 

I'm a 50 years old woman, kind of sporadically active before this and when I started I was about 37 pounds overweight.  I'm now 30 pounds overweight. I started running to lose weight and get in shape.

gear:  I've been using runkeeper on the iphone to track runs tell me when the intervals are and play music or podcasts...

I got a new pair of saucony's from my running store - so far so good.

so thats it, I signed up for my first 5K race coming up in two weeks and I hope to set a good time (for me) which would probably be

around 42 min or so...  the track is my local park where I usually run - combo of some hills and flats.

bopper

started running mid may 2012,

goal: to lose 34 24 pounds.

goal: run a 5K  first 5K  (7/12):     40:24

Second 5K  (11/12):   37:48

goal - keep running, do about 20 miles a week, run more walk less.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Welcome Bopper, and best wishes for your running!  I started running four years ago (age 55), and it's done me a world of good.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Hey, bopper.    Welcome!   

steph  

Queen of 3rd Place

Hi back at ya! Have fun with your running and good luck at your first 5K. Beware, racing can get addictive. Smile

Ex runner

Hi bopper.... It's great that you're getting into running. It's a highly addictive sport! Welcome to the forum, and best of luck for the 5k race you have coming up. Smile

Maggie & Molly

hi and welcome.  have a great time at your race!!!!!

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
              Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Welcome and good luck at your 5k!  Congrats on the -7 pounds!

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

bopper (at 50)

Just an update, I'm still running, about 3 miles 5 times a week... total weight loss now: 10.5 pounds.

Its still hard but I know I've improved, especially with my breathing and stamina.  I did the first 5K and

was the last person in at 40:24, but I was thrilled with it because I thought I would be slower.

I've been reading the chi running book - its a lot to take in, but for now I'm just concentrating on good

posture and mid foot strike...

I'm still very slow, but I guess its too early to be thinking about getting faster... I still have a lot of weight

to lose - about 25 pounds.

thats it!

cheers.

started running mid may 2012,

goal: to lose 34 24 pounds.

goal: run a 5K  first 5K  (7/12):     40:24

Second 5K  (11/12):   37:48

goal - keep running, do about 20 miles a week, run more walk less.

The Runner Life

congrats on your first 5k! 

Nice work!

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congratulations on your progress!  Have fun with it allSmile

steph  

Believe

Welcome to RA, it is a great place.  I am 50 and sometimes I think that stands for Rheumatoid Arthritis and not RunningAhead. Big grin

I'm still very slow, but I guess its too early to be thinking about getting faster...

GREAT STATEMENT --- dont worry about getting faster....just keep going out there and setting a decent training base.    Getting 'faster' is a slow growth type of thing and will happen if you contunue to build your training base...

You're doing GREAT -- keep it up...

oh yeah --- I came in LAST in a race once --- its not that big of deal.....and you get a lot of attention....

Champions are made when no one is watching

JML

Great stuff.   Keep with it and the speed will eventually come on its own.  The important thing is to be out there consistently which it sounds like you have nailed.

+1 on Phidippides.   Last is not a big deal at all.  You are still ahead of all the people who did not race and are not doing something active and positive for their health and well being.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Congrats!  I've been at it 6 years now (starting at age 47).  I haven't finished last in a race yet (but, I'm getting tired of having to pay people to slow down... Wink. ) and I don't know if I could beat your 40 min. time in the 5 k.

Don't depend on running alone to take off the weight.  As you are experiencing, you will lose a certain amount but the last 15 pounds or so will require diligent dieting.

But you've come to the right place for advice and encouragement.  

TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff