Attention Race Directors (Read 909 times)

jeffdonahue

the LOCO guys used to give away free shoes when they first started out.  That was nice.

On On

Attention Runners:

If you have never directed a race, please do so. It is a great experience and a way that you can help make our sport more like you want it to be. Pay attention to the things YOU as a runner care about and publicize that those are the things you care about. You will probably find that a lot of other runners care about the same things you do. You will definitely also be reminded that you can't please everyone.

There are many factions when it comes to runners.  Just to name a few:

• the runner that races 50 times a year and doesn't want any more give aways
      • the runner that races 50 times a year and won't do your race with out a give away
      • the first timer that wants a shirt, a medal, an aid station every mile and a reg fee of $20 (for a marathon or longer)
      • the 50 stater that wants a cheap or free race and a medal
      • the runner that just wants to run and could care less about the give away
      • the person that is going to bitch about something no matter how perfect the event was run

Considering you are signing up for a race and not buying a medal or a shirt and those are just SWAG (Stuff We All Get) it is amazing that for some the SWAG is more important than the actual race.

xhristopher

Attention Runners:

If you have never directed a race, please do so. It is a great experience and a way that you can help make our sport more like you want it to be. Pay attention to the things YOU as a runner care about and publicize that those are the things you care about. You will probably find that a lot of other runners care about the same things you do. You will definitely also be reminded that you can't please everyone.

I guess part of the implied subtext of my OP is "If you can't do a t-shirt right please, please don't bother."

The race director above clearly get's this. His race as a t-shirt worthy of whatever incremental costs it added to the registration.

Now don't get me started on 3.25 mile 5Ks...

xhristopher

I don't know, I am running out of cotton race shirts new enough to not be embarrassed wearing thm out in public.  A combination of me not running enough races and the increasing use of tech shirt...which I have too many of.

You should have mentioned this before my last trip to the donation center...

Slo

I guess part of the implied subtext of my OP is "If you can't do a t-shirt right please, please don't bother."

Nothing like plastering the front of a Tech T with a big ole screen print.

L Train

it is amazing that for some the SWAG is more important than the actual race.

Seriously.  I mean, who would sign up for a race that advertises the SWAG this way? 

Also included: Each registered runner will receive SWAG to be decided on by the race organizers.

Who knows what the hell one could come home with?

Wing

Joggaholic

I have too many pint glasses already and I never use them.

How about they give out nothing and cut the reg fees?  Big grin

I recently discovered a local 5k race. The RD organizes it every month at the park: certified course, timed, water, and sometimes power bars and gatorade at the finish. No medals, t-shirts, or anything else to take home really, but the reg fee is a whopping $1. They even managed to make money at the end of the year to donate toward the maintenence of the park!

xhristopher

This year I got an embroidered beach towel at a summer race, a good gym towel.

I've only run maybe 30-ish races, so I'm not tired of any particular item yet. It's like Christmas when I open my packet.

Jess runs for bacon

There are many factions when it comes to runners.  Just to name a few:

• the runner that races 50 times a year and doesn't want any more give aways
                      • the runner that races 50 times a year and won't do your race with out a give away
                      • the first timer that wants a shirt, a medal, an aid station every mile and a reg fee of $20 (for a marathon or longer)
                      • the 50 stater that wants a cheap or free race and a medal
                      • the runner that just wants to run and could care less about the give away
                      • the person that is going to bitch about something no matter how perfect the event was run

Considering you are signing up for a race and not buying a medal or a shirt and those are just SWAG (Stuff We All Get) it is amazing that for some the SWAG is more important than the actual race.

If you feed me I will come.

Although I'm totally going to say it: I'm actually training seriously for Three Days at the Fair because I want that pottery. Why? I dunno. I don't even need pottery.

I generally don't bitch about what I'm getting/paying for. If I want a medal, I'll find a race with a medal. I do like my shirts, but won't cry if I don't get one.

I tried to direct a race once. I was pretty busy, someone offered to take over. I let them, and it didn't end well. I may do it again since I have more time, but I think a lot of people think it's cake when it's really not.

Buelligan

I really like some of the cotton shirts I've gotten... some not so much.  My favorite shirt wasn't even made for the event I got it from, it was a leftover from a previous race that was included in a swag bag.  Alas, it has finally been retired to casual wear around the house in its old age.

Thanks for the memories Flatrock 2002 Couple's Relay t-shirt.  You were the best.

xor

Attention Runners

Be nice to volunteers.  Please and thank you are cool.  If they can't do exactly what you want or don't magically know the answer to your detail-level question, don't get upset with them.  Mahalo.  Yes, you are up early to run a race.  They are up early too and chances are, the ones at the start got there before you did.  And if you think YOU are cold and wet, stand still in it for a few hours.

(I could also go on a long rant about trying to handle a seemingly simple calendar and how bizarre that gets.  For example, I have been accused of "destroying (someone's) dreams" because I could not personally guarantee that an incredibly obscure race I have never heard of put on by a person I do not know in a place I have never been would get more than 20 starters...it apparently had 5 listed starters at the time this person was requiring my personal guarantee.  Wee.)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

How about for all runners:

- personalized long sleeve tech shirt

- cotton shirt for those folks who are old school

- second old school cotton shirt for those who suffered through the race the prior year

- keepsake chip

- silicone Silipint pint glass full of local craftbeer

- unique wooden medal

- personalized bib

- Hatch showprint poster

And there was food.  Lots and lots of food.  

steph  

dennrunner

Nothing like plastering the front of a Tech T with a big ole screen print.

Or, in other words:

How to Ruin a Technical T-Shirt*, presented by Races Everywhere.

* Ruin cotton shirts, too!

aponi

never runs the tangents

I got socks once, that was pretty cool. Hats are fun. Right now the trend is tech shirts in seemingly random sizes so some work out for me and some don't.

I don't want to be an RD. It's so much easier to know the deal without the experience. Just like how I don't have kids and am, therefore an expert on raising children.

I did help give out race packets once. Dear LORD will you womenfolk please remember what name you register under.

Aponi Rocks

no

ok try Aponi Goddess

nope

hmm how about Aponi Rocks-Goddess or Aponi Goddess-Rocks or maybe I used my middle name so try Danger Goddess

sigh

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who