What Just Happened? (Read 1038 times)

I just went for my "easy" 4-miler today and let's just say it wasn't so "easy"! The first 3 miles were absolute HELL. I felt like I couldn't go on after 2 but I really forced myself to keep going. My muscles were on fire, particularly my quads, calves and shins. I haven't felt pain like this ever really, other than when I first started running and didn't understand how to pace myself and I was going too fast and burning the muscles in my legs for energy. Anyways, on the last mile, I had a miraculous turn around. My legs just stopped hurting. I felt amazing and I finished the run just fine. When I got home, I felt fabulous, like I hadn't even gone for a run and as though the absolute torture I had put myself through 30 minutes earlier was now a distant memory. What the hell just happened!? Has anyone had similar experiences and if so, what do you attribute it to? My only thoughts are: 1. I went on my first 8-miler this past Sunday morning - I may still be recuperating. 2. It was only 64 degrees tonight and maybe my body has gotten used to the 75-85 plus temps from the last 3 months and the muscles were warming up? Can't wait to hear what people have to say! Thanks!

2012: Just run.

Why is it sideways?

Yep, you got warmed up. Since you had a hard run two days ago and then didn't run for two days, all the junk was still sitting in your legs and it took longer than usual to clear it out. It's also a good sign that you are getting in shape: your body is learning to find the groove.

A Saucy Wench

yup welcome to distance running. When you discover that the reason you never thought you could run long before is because the first 3 miles suck. After that it gets better. Pretty soon you'll be like the rest of us crazies who love half-marathons because they are so much easier than 5Ks . And who run 5K to warmup to run a 5K Roll eyes

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Prince of Fatness

Since you had a hard run two days ago and then didn't run for two days, all the junk was still sitting in your legs and it took longer than usual to clear it out.
          I have found that I recover quicker and feel better if I go for a run the day after my long run or any hard workout. I just make sure it is a real slow run. You may want to give it a try, maybe start with a brisk walk first just to get the feel of it.

Not at it at all. 

Pretty soon you'll be like the rest of us crazies who love half-marathons because they are so much easier than 5Ks . And who run 5K to warmup to run a 5K Roll eyes
            Brings to mind a great quote I've once heard... "Those who can play sports run, and those who can't run (fast) run far." Smile The other thing to keep in mind is that training will ebb and flow. You'll have good days and at other times bad days. I had a brutal run on Tuesday unlike any I have had in the last few months.
              It happens and sometime for to reason that you cant figure out. Ths past Sat I went for a 4 mile run and my calves were killing me most of the run. I even stopped and walked at least 2 time and and a 3rd time I stopped for probably 10 minutes just to let them recover.......they were tight and hurt like heck........ Sunday, I went for my 6 mile run a they were fine....... It just happed from time to time and you don't always know why....and the opposite can happend...I have had days where I didnt feel all that great and to for a run anyway and end up having a really good run.... My advice is don't try to figure it out.....just deal with it and come back again tomorrow.

Champions are made when no one is watching

I'm from a combination of Lydiard/Nakamura school. Nakamura is the guy who coached Toshihiko Seko who won Boston marathon twice along with Chicago and London in mid 1980s. So with Nakamura school, you get a calendar and you put down THE RACE (as would Lydiard school); and start putting some what we call "point workouts". These could be long runs, intervals, tempo... And these are double circles (like Target logo). You'll have these at most twice a week. Another kind of workout like, say, 1:30 run or some strides or some speed stimulus type workout such as 1km, etc., would be represented as single circle. You'll probably have, at most, 3 of either double circle or single circle. And the rest of the days we'll put down triangles. So this way, you'll map it out all the valleys and hills along the way. You can NEVER get the progress in a linear line; there always will be ups and downs--it has to be. You work out hard one day; you'll need some easy day(s). The hard workout, or point workouts, does not have to be a single day--you can have it two days in a row if you want to (and sometimes, on purpose, I'll prescribe it). But those point workout(s) will ALWAYS have to be followed by several easy days (triangle). I myself don't give a damn if I run like crap on those easy days; I'll walk some if I have to AS LONG AS I do those point workouts well. And sometimes, or quite often, in order to do those point workouts well, you'll need easy days REAL EASY.
                It happens and sometime for to reason that you cant figure out. Ths past Sat I went for a 4 mile run and my calves were killing me most of the run. I even stopped and walked at least 2 time and and a 3rd time I stopped for probably 10 minutes just to let them recover.......they were tight and hurt like heck........ Sunday, I went for my 6 mile run a they were fine....... It just happed from time to time and you don't always know why....and the opposite can happend...I have had days where I didnt feel all that great and to for a run anyway and end up having a really good run.... My advice is don't try to figure it out.....just deal with it and come back again tomorrow.
                John: You're on to something here. I agree with you; and when I do agree, I agree fully; 2/3 of what you said. Yes, you're figuring out yourself. We all have good days and bad days. In fact, walking can be a great rehabilitation for calf problems--it stretches your calves without putting too much pressure. However, do try to figure out. Not so much of WHYs; but try to figure out your own pattern. Someone else said if he runs easily the day after the long run, he'll recover better. Well, I've noticed if I go for a quickie like 20-minutes painfully slow slog on the evening of the long run; I feel 100% better the next day. Of course, life gets in a way and if I can't do that, I'll take it extra easy the follwoing day. That's my pattern. Once you get the pattern figured out, then you can start manupulating the whole training program so you can peak on the day. Those who never figure that out simply follow the given schedule blindly and will never fulfill their potential. Those who are always tired fall into this category.
                JakeKnight

Nobby: very interesting - and useful - post.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Nobby: very interesting - and useful - post.
                    Agreed. I do this albiet less formally. My weekly long run and weekly tempo or interval run are THE two runs I focus on. I try to add miles to the long run and try to run faster/longer sprint intervals during the tempo/interval run. My other runs are mostly easy runs of varying distances and I go by feel as to how long/fast they'll be. But my focus is always to prepare for the other two. But getting the miles in on those easy runs is what is building my endurance to make improvements in those other runs. And my improvements in those two main runs make those easy runs easier/faster/longer. Just feeds on itself. And I can relate to the experience of an unexpected good run. I overdid my leg workout at the gym yesterday and was stiff and sore this morning. But after 2-3 miles I was all warmed up and I started cruising. Ended up with a pretty good 6.5 mile tempo run when I thought I'd only do an easy 3 or 4. I felt awesome. and my legs feel better this afternoon than this morning. Good thing since I have a hockey game tonight.

IMKY13 finish!!

Since you had a hard run two days ago and then didn't run for two days, all the junk was still sitting in your legs and it took longer than usual to clear it out.
                      The way I get "the junk" out is to use "The Stick" www.thestick.com. I use it all the time the evening of my long run day (and other days too) and it really helps to get the junk out and helps your legs recovery faster. Be sure to always roll upwards (toward the heart) when rolling your legs

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles