Fall Frolic 10k (Read 352 times)

So a few weekends ago I ran my second 10k. I'd been running well all summer, and so I was excited for a nice, cool 6.2 miles. My goal was under 53:00. The race was sponsored by the Montessori Academy in town--they do a Montessori program at the Center for the Homeless, and this race is a major fundraiser for that program. The first thing I loved about this race (besides the cool temperatures and the low humidity!) was the pre-race activities. They already had food set out, including bagels, doughnuts, scones, brownies, and coffee....my dad pointed out that, although prepared for people to eat, the food was not quite what the racers would eat. Pretty good spread regardless! They also had a craft tent and a big bouncy things for the kids. Before the 5k and 10k started, there was a 1 mile fun run for the kids, who all got medals. After the kid's fun run, they gathered the other runners around for a "warm-up and stretch" session. It was INTENSE! They brought out a crazy fitness lady from the local gym, who took us through this random stretch and aerobics routine which lasted fifteen minutes. I only lasted about five minutes into it, because it was really wearing me out before the race even began! So, the race. Like I said, the weather was fantastic. I had mostly even splits the whole way, which is great for me. The only complaint I had was that the last 1.2 miles were on a narrow trail through the woods. When I got to that point, there was a group of ladies (5k walkers) with DOGS who were taking up the whole path! A volunteer yelled "runners on the left!", and I repeated it again (screamed, really), but the ladies apparently did not understand, and I was forced to run through the sticks and hurdle a short mile marker. Boo. That incident, however, did not prevent me from coming in at 52:41, beating my goal and PRing! Wooho! To add to my excitement, today I got an email from the race director telling me that I had gotten FIRST in my age group (19-24). Holy crap was I surprised! 2nd place was even ten minutes behind me. It was a small age group (only 4 people) but still, first place. So I am pretty happy on this night Big grin
    "If you want to become the best runner you can be, start now. Don't spend the rest of your life wondering if you can do it."
      WTG Paige! It sounds like a great race, and a nice PR for you! Congrats!!

Another Passion

Awesome, Paige! Great race and congratulations on PRing, beating your goal for the race, and coming in first for your age group! All in all, a hearty well-done! Wink

Rick
        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Well done, congrats to you!

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.