Marathon goal? Need some help. (Read 950 times)

Hey all, I'm having trouble coming up with a goal for Richmond. Originally, I wanted to go under 4 hours, but after the Baltimore Half, I'm thinking I can probably do a little better. According to McMillian, my prediction time is 3:45. While I don't intend to go anywhere near that low, I am thinking that low 3:50s might be in the cards. I did 4:02:10 at MCM, but I went out too fast and totally burned out at the end. I don't want to go out too fast though ... but then again, I do want to give it my all. So, based on my HM PR and my running log ---- what is your suggestion for a goal for Richmond (my third marathon)?
    2009: BQ?
      BTW it's better to go out too easy than to go out too fast! If you can keep your first 20 miles at around a 9:10 pace, then kick it the last 10K, you should be able to get your 3:50 or so. MTA: that's my plan come Philly!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Imminent Catastrophe

BTW it's better to go out too easy than to go out too fast! If you can keep your first 20 miles at around a 9:10 pace, then kick it the last 10K, you should be able to get your 3:50 or so. MTA: that's my plan come Philly!
        What Pam said.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Go Pre!

What Pam said.
          What Perfesser said Smile
            What Perfesser said Smile
            What Daddyo said Big grin I only ran one marathon but I did walk away from that learning that I had nothing left at the end and if I would have managed to keep my pace slower at first I would have had a better shot at finishing stronger. I got overly confident and sped up too soon.

Michelle

Trish- I am undecided what I am going to do in Richmond also as I have not trained well in the last 3 weeks. My original plan was to go 3:30- then 3:45- now I am at somewhere 3:45 - 3:55. My plan is to start out close to 3:50 pace and then make a determination around the half point as to how I feel and adjust from there. If you don't feel you can do that maybe start with the 3:55 group and adjust at the 10 mile mark- then re-evaluate at the 20 mile mark and go from there. I have been glancing at your training off and on and have thought you should be able to hit 3:40 - 3:50. See you in 3 1/2 weeks.
              http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Like they all said. McMillan tends to be way too optimistic, and trying to run the pace predicts will only lead you to burn out. Take it conservatively and then pump it up later in the game.
                mikeymike

I'm not a big fan of predictors--I say just race by feel--but the race time caluclator that Eric has built into this site is really good. If you take my best 5K from this year, 17:48 and my best Half Marathon from this year, 1:23:33, it predicts a marathon of 2:55:54. And I just ran 2:55:06. I consider that half time to be maybe a minute soft, but then my marathon time is probably 1-2 minutes soft as well. Still, that's as good predictor as I've seen. By using two races at different distances, it calculates your personal coefficient, which is more accurate than the best-case coefficient that McMillan uses.

Runners run

I'm not a big fan of predictors--I say just race by feel--but the race time caluclator that Eric has built into this site is really good. If you take my best 5K from this year, 17:48 and my best Half Marathon from this year, 1:23:33, it predicts a marathon of 2:55:54. And I just ran 2:55:06. I consider that half time to be maybe a minute soft, but then my marathon time is probably 1-2 minutes soft as well. Still, that's as good predictor as I've seen. By using two races at different distances, it calculates your personal coefficient, which is more accurate than the best-case coefficient that McMillan uses.
                    WOW. Thanks for the reminder on this Mike! I've been using McMillan - I find it pretty accurate from 5k - half marathon. It doesn't work as well for me outside this. I just used Eric's calculator for my most recent long distance races - 4:40:44 - my marathon this weekend was 4:40:59. Holy cow! It's almost eerie!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Trishie~ my last hm training race, I pr'd with a 1:44:58 and did a 3:42:44 at the marathon. Don't shortchange yourself. I'd be brave about aiming sub-3:50. Wink

Jennifer mm#1231

Thanks for your advice, runner buddies Smile I just checked out the Pace Groups for Richmond .... there is one for 3:45, and one for 4:00. Am I being a whiner (that was rhetorical Big grin) or is that kind of weird? Normally there's a pace group for every 5 minutes around the high 3:00s/ low 4:00s. 3:45 is too fast, and 4:00 is too slow (and this porridge is too cold, etc.) ... should I just run my own race at an 8:57 pace (which is a 3:54:39 marathon) and then kick it for the last 10K if I'm feeling good?
                          l--but the race time caluclator that Eric has built into this site is really good. If you take my best 5K from this year, 17:48 and my best Half Marathon from this year, 1:23:33, it predicts a marathon of 2:55:54. And I just ran 2:55:06.
                          Cool - I didn't even know this thing existed! (sorry for the hijack)
                            from Eric's predictor (using my HM PR and 10K PR):
                            3:47:28
                            I think, then, shooting for a sub 3:55 is okay ( Confused) ... I'll run the race at a 3:55 pace, and then kick it the last 10K.
                              I think, then, shooting for a sub 3:55 is okay ( Confused) ... I'll run the race at a 3:55 pace, and then kick it the last 10K.
                              Sorry that they have that pace bunny gap, but I'm sure you'll still kick ass. Can't wait to hear about yet another outstanding performance.

E.J.
                              Greater Lowell Road Runners
                              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Good point, but in your case, McMillan is pretty close: McMillan Prediction from 17:48 5k --> 2:53:32 (-0.89% from actual) McMillan Prediction from 1:23:33 HM --> 2:56:12 (+0.63% from actual) Though props to the RA calculation, being only 0.46% high. If you have multiple recent races, you can further hone in your personal coefficient, as I outlined here. I think what this all speaks to is the quality of your marathon training, Mikey. McMillan's predicted quite accurately for you because you've been doing outstanding quality training for the marathon.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.