2018 New York Marathon Thread (Read 217 times)

pfriese

FYI, I published a guide to the New York City Marathon on my blog.  It has most of the stuff I had in the first post in previous threads and a whole bunch of other stuff.  I may edit the course information with more details after this year's race..

Thanks for your blog link. Great info.

Paul

Julia1971

How's everyone holding up?  I did my last distance run - 13 miles - yesterday (8:22 pace) and then cheered for Marine Corps Marathon runners for two hours.  (I managed to avoid saying, "You got this!" the entire time.  "You guys are awesome!" seemed very popular.  I have also created a new medical condition - Cowbell Induced Hearing Impairment.)  I'm thinking I'll aim for something like 3:32 next Sunday even though race calculators are saying I'm in 3:36 shape.  But, I'm a gamer.  I tend to rise to the occasion.

Listened to the latest Pace the Nation podcast yesterday and the host said we should expect a great expo experience this year!  I'd already spied a few items that I wanted to buy so I'm going to make more time for the expo this year.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I'm in trouble:  the hourly graphical forecast for Sunday is now available and will be updated several times a day.   If the forecast holds up, my choice will be between t-shirt and singlet.

Prep-wise, I completed my last pace run on Thursday and am well into tapering.  Just trying to organize the trip for the family and keep busy in general.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Forecast looking great right now, but still a far way out. Only real question seems to be the wind and whether a) it’ll be over 10 mph and b) if it’ll be out of the NNE, which would be the worst possible direction. Otherwise, I will take low 50s!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

How's everyone holding up?  I did my last distance run - 13 miles - yesterday (8:22 pace) and then cheered for Marine Corps Marathon runners for two hours.  (I managed to avoid saying, "You got this!" the entire time.  "You guys are awesome!" seemed very popular.  I have also created a new medical condition - Cowbell Induced Hearing Impairment.)  I'm thinking I'll aim for something like 3:32 next Sunday even though race calculators are saying I'm in 3:36 shape.  But, I'm a gamer.  I tend to rise to the occasion.

Listened to the latest Pace the Nation podcast yesterday and the host said we should expect a great expo experience this year!  I'd already spied a few items that I wanted to buy so I'm going to make more time for the expo this year.

Spectators as well as runners are awesome!  DW has more than once suffered from Cowbell Wrist.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Spectators as well as runners are awesome!  DW has more than once suffered from Cowbell Wrist.

Thanks for reminding me about the cowbell.  I'll be sure to bring mine as I root for everyone in the peanut gallery.  My goal is to watch the first through the very last to pass by.  I won't say "looking good" to anyone.  I think I'll say "pick it up slackers!" 

Good luck to you runners!!!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Thanks for reminding me about the cowbell.  I'll be sure to bring mine as I root for everyone in the peanut gallery.  My goal is to watch the first through the very last to pass by.  I won't say "looking good" to anyone.  I think I'll say "pick it up slackers!" 

Good luck to you runners!!!

Great, then I know it will be you when someone with a cowbell calls me a slacker. 

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Great, then I know it will be you when someone with a cowbell calls me a slacker. 

3/17 - NYC Half

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Best motivational sign for me as I ran a HM yesterday was simply "Don't Suck!".

Bert-o

I lost my rama

OK, I think I'll make a sign for the race.  Look for it around mile 11.5....

onemile & Fred Ford

Slackers!!!

LedLincoln

Don't Suck.

JMac & Julia

Shit yeah

Le me know if I missed anyone. I may make some mods between now and then, but the weather is looking just about perfect.  Hope I didn't jinx it for ya. 

3/17 - NYC Half

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

onemile & Fred Ford

Slackers!!!

LedLincoln

Don't Suck.

JMac & Julia

Shit yeah

Le me know if I missed anyone. I may make some mods between now and then, but the weather is looking just about perfect.  Hope I didn't jinx it for ya. 

Thanks Bert-O, but don't include me on your sign.  I'm actually just stalking lurking on this thread for old times' sake. I'm not running it this year. Sad Good luck to everyone who's actually doing the work on Sunday!!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

onemile & Fred Ford

Slackers!!!

LedLincoln

Don't Suck.

JMac & Julia

Shit yeah

Mile 11.5 is usually where I start having odd pains that I shouldn't be having so early in a marathon, but I will try to remember to spot you! I'll just shout BERT if I do see the sign!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Mile 11.5 is usually where I start having odd pains that I shouldn't be having so early in a marathon, but I will try to remember to spot you! I'll just shout BERT if I do see the sign!

It's a tough stretch as you pass the quieter sections in South Williamsburg, but where I am it does liven up quite a bit.  I'm at Bedford Ave at N 5th St.  DW took this photo several years back at that location.  Still one of my favorites.  Looks like they're running on air!

3/17 - NYC Half

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Nice photo. The good ole days when everyone was wearing different types of shoes. It'll be a wave of Vaporflies this time around.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

That's a great shot.  I'll try to remember to look around when I'm near mile 11.5.  I have a bad habit of getting so focused on my running that I miss out on a lot of the good stuff going on around me.  Cowbell + sign, or just the sign?